Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

smw

The rain earlier in the week made for great traction everywhere yesterday. Every time I think big rain will wash away the deep sand sections I get surprised. I guess existing sand slows down the speed of water runoff and any sand carried in said water then gets further trapped. Rinse and repeat and that's how the beaches in the trails form. I was in a group of two and we passed a larger group with one or two riders in the group wearing mtbnj jerseys-maybe someone here.

FYI. There is a large tree down near the eastern side of Monmouth Hills with go around.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was in a group of two and we passed a larger group with one or two riders in the group wearing mtbnj jerseys-maybe someone here.
Did they look like any of these clowns?
69079.jpeg

kbajaj

Any report on conditions for riding at Harts tomorrow? Should I go or stay away? Please write a note if you go in the AM.

thank you!!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone know why the short section of Rocky Point between the two paved paths is taped off?
Big , big Pair of trees down. May require a reroute of trail due to size and base so close to trail. You can get around it if you choose to go under tape and ride section.

smw

A few of us that have joined the parks trail maintenance volunteer group spent the am remediating the muddy section of meadow ramble. (Jordon, Kevin.)

Years of park users placing random logs here ended up inadvertently creating a dam and trapping water resulting in a backlog of muck. Those logs and and the slop were removed and channels created to divert future ground water to the low side of the trail. The parks department provided some aggregate which we wheelbarrowed in and tamped into shape of a new trail tread. I lost count of the loads but I'd say 20 is my best guess.

In spite of the muck removal, the trail bed was still soft, so there will be settling to be expected in the coming weeks. If you're riding through here hug the upper side for the firmest section.

My experience has been the parks system is very attentive to trail remediation and empowering the volunteers to make noticable improvements. It's a great time to join and help out:)

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A few of us that have joined the parks trail maintenance volunteer group spent the am remediating the muddy section of meadow ramble. (Jordon, Kevin.)

Years of park users placing random logs here ended up inadvertently creating a dam and trapping water resulting in a backlog of muck. Those logs and and the slop were removed and channels created to divert future ground water to the low side of the trail. The parks department provided some aggregate which we wheelbarrowed in and tamped into shape of a new trail tread. I lost count of the loads but I'd say 20 is my best guess.

In spite of the muck removal, the trail bed was still soft, so there will be settling to be expected in the coming weeks. If you're riding through here hug the upper side for the firmest section.

My experience has been the parks system is very attentive to trail remediation and empowering the volunteers to make noticable improvements. It's a great time to join and help out:)
Thanks for you time and effort.
Where is this section you speak of "Meadow Ramble"?? Askin for Pat

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's at Huber, near the Many Log section, wide trail that's always muddy and hs (had?) a bunch of logs embedded in it.
No more Huber for me - too dangerous! ;)
That was the only place that came to mind but I didn't know that the trail crew from Hartshorne did TM there as well. Learned something new today!

smw

Sorry, I should have mentioned the location was at Huber. Conditions as of this afternoon are captured in the attached photos. If you're still not sure where this is located, maybe someone with adobe skills can photoshop some mud and branches in :)

Attachments

• 20201109_143634.jpg
    20201109_143634.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201109_143731.jpg
    20201109_143731.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 104

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions