Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

That's how it goes. My only trip to the hospital from MTB happened at Huber. Just a stupid little washout but my knee came down on a rock. Good for 7 stitches the day before a vacation trip with extended family. That was popular.

Reactions: don
That's how it goes. My only trip to the hospital from MTB happened at Huber. Just a stupid little washout but my knee came down on a rock. Good for 7 stitches the day before a vacation trip with extended family. That was popular.
Dang, you may have found the only rock in the park!

Reactions: don
I remember thinking that. what came out of my mouth was mostly F bombs though.

That reminds me, my friend Nick had his biggest crash of all time there, 20+ years ago. Going back towards the lot on the west side of the park (the little downhill just before you cross the main entrance gravel road), there was a 6" log angled across the trail. Right about the time I said "I never air over that", it caught him mid bunny-hop. We left for a ski trip that afternoon. He tried but tapped out 2 days early. I don't think his shoulder was ever right again but his physical therapist probably got a nice boat out of the deal.

Place is dangerous!

Last edited:
I rode after work yesterday. Surprisingly, the overgrowth on Rocky Point has been cut back. There are still a couple overgrown sections on Grand Tour. The brief rain shower yesterday also made some of the sand a little more manageable on the bike.

I remember thinking that. what came out of my mouth was mostly F bombs though.

That reminds me, my friend Nick had his biggest crash of all time there, 20+ years ago. Going back towards the lot on the west side of the park (the little downhill just before you cross the main entrance gravel road), there was a 6" log angled across the trail. Right about the time I said "I never air over that", it caught him mid bunny-hop. We left for a ski trip that afternoon. He tried but tapped out 2 days early. I don't think his shoulder was ever right again but his physical therapist probably got a nice boat out of the deal.

Place is dangerous!
Several weeks ago I wiped out on Many Logs Run at Huber almost the same way, there was a log across the trail at an angle, I got over that one but there was another smaller log on the other side I didn't anticipate and when my front tire hit that the bike slid right from underneath me and I went crashing hard on my shoulder, luckily I wear elbow pads and that help cushion the fall.

luckily I wear elbow pads and that help cushion the fall.
Rode last nite with a group of 7 riders in MD. We had 4 (solid) riders that went down in places that were a bit sketchy from the previous nite's rain. 3 bloody elbows with one of those probably broken. Only 2 of us wear pads and, although we both stayed upright, it was just another validation for me to keep wearing them. For those of us on the older side, bones/bruises don't heal as quickly as they once did and for that one guy, his summer riding is over. :( While pads aren't a panacea against injury they certainly mitigate the risk.

Rode last nite with a group of 7 riders in MD. We had 4 (solid) riders that went down in places that were a bit sketchy from the previous nite's rain. 3 bloody elbows with one of those probably broken. Only 2 of us wear pads and, although we both stayed upright, it was just another validation for me to keep wearing them. For those of us on the older side, bones/bruises don't heal as quickly as they once did and for that one guy, his summer riding is over. :( While pads aren't a panacea against injury they certainly mitigate the risk.
I've always been amazed how many riders don't wear elbow pads, they're inexpensive and they can save you from a lot of damage if you ever take a spill.

Today, I saw the biggest damn fox I've ever seen (Arrow), it was on Valley View trail right before you hit Browns Dock Road, and I snucked up on it too, it was in front on my on the trail going the same direction I was, I immediately knew by the tail it was a fox and when it finally realized I was behind it, it made a sharp right turn into the woods and that's when I saw how big it was. Blew me away.

Today
1281_thumbnail-1024.jpg

Is anyone doing later afternoon /early evening (natural light) rides at Huber?

I'm a recent resident to the area and overdue on pedaling, and looking to make riding friends. I live just off Chapel Hill road area. Anyone can feel free to PM me and we'll link up.

Scott

Last edited:
Is anyone doing later afternoon /early evening (natural light) rides at Huber?

I'm a recent resident to the area and overdue on pedaling.

Scott

Post up in the rides forum section - will get more action from info in the title (ie when, where)
gl - have fun!

Good idea, I"ll post up there shortly. Still, I am looking to make riding friends with others local to the area.

-Scott

QUOTE="Patrick, post: 1002147, member: 7568"]
Post up in the rides forum section - will get more action from info in the title (ie when, where)
gl - have fun!
[/QUOTE]

They need to do some trimming on Rocky Point trail in the area of where there are two trails that run along side each other, the top one is so overgrown with that plant that just cuts you up, the funny thing is when you make that tight left turn and head down the hill, they trimmed that area good, no idea why they stopped there. I haven't been down the bottom trail that eroded badly in ages, I might have to take that route next time.

I've always been amazed how many riders don't wear elbow pads, they're inexpensive and they can save you from a lot of damage if you ever take a spill.
I separated my shoulder and tore the labrum iJune 6th @ Allaire had I been wearing elbow pads I might have avoided injury. I picked up a set of Poc EP and will wear them for good.

Rode for a couple of hours this morning--it's mid-summer, and the wild raspberries are 99% ripe. Get 'em while you can (the higher not-bay-side parts of the trail that have lots of sun have them in abundance).

ACtC-3edFKyf1GADrRLlngRTbKOD9gRu0CXqd9xh6KGZuqTbXq-QOpw4q9YL8sAeXSnIer6taojXmtBXLv3fro19O65a3ojq3OvW-YHjdcFeZrt0sdA4UluFxao_5UqjtUL6KRjgsd688Gok8TJt-b_hduAw=w1300-h976-no

Ate a few handfuls for energy during the ride, then filled the bottle with water/drank it on the way home :popcorn:

Rode 8.5 miles today at Hartshorne, passed just one biker the whole time and that was down by the Claypit Creek, maybe five hikers, I almost had the whole place to myself. I would say it was about 93-95 degrees for most of the ride.

Last edited:
Rode 8.5 miles today, passed just one biker the whole time and that was down by the Claypit Creek, maybe five hikers, I almost had the whole place to myself. I would say it was about 93-95 degrees for most of the ride.

I was over at Huber for an hour after work. I saw 1 hiker. The trails are dry. The sand at the bottom of the descents is super soft and sugary.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions