Woods Hollow MTB race this saturday at Tatum

Am I the only one who thinks this race should be at Hartshorne or Huber even, IMO the two most ridden Monmouth county parks.

no. for a few reasons but most of them selfish (I dont want a race further screwing up "my" trails)

but for real. this race is a like a local "fun run". totally low key and great for beginners to get a taste for "mountain biking"

Tatum is perfect for that.

plus, if the race beats up the trails a bit....who gives a crap...it's Tatum.

This event does pull a lot of FAST roadies-most are tri-athletes but if you've got some skill and lungs, you can hold them-- you can for sure
Now that you're fast, you'll be less impressed with the roadies and triathletes that show up for the Monmouth County World Championship. :)

Last year's 1st-3rd place were cat 2 XC MTBers (Brian Ackerman, Myles Fennell and myself). Merritt would have changed and packed up his truck by the time we finished.

Now that you're fast, you'll be less impressed with the roadies and triathletes that show up for the Monmouth County World Championship. :)

Last year's 1st-3rd place were cat 2 XC MTBers (Brian Ackerman, Myles Fennell and myself). Merritt would have changed and packed up his truck by the time we finished.
Haha I remember chasing you guys around there... And I'm not fast- but definitely faster than the last time I rode there. I'm always impressed by someone who trains for the Monmouth county world championship. Lol

Haha I remember chasing you guys around there... And I'm not fast- but definitely faster than the last time I rode there. I'm always impressed by someone who trains for the Monmouth county world championship. Lol

I've been cutting cheater lines every night after dark.. I am getting your ass on a podium this year!

Went today, forgot my shoes, did the course in Uggs. Funny. Even funnier, this eve while teaching a class at MU, my foot fell asleep. When I stood up it buckled and I believe I now have a sprained ankle. X-ray tomorrow but most likely out of the Monmouth County Nat'l Championship. And just when the broken rib was feeling good.
Will bring a cowbell.

Went today, forgot my shoes, did the course in Uggs. Funny. Even funnier, this eve while teaching a class at MU, my foot fell asleep. When I stood up it buckled and I believe I now have a sprained ankle. X-ray tomorrow but most likely out of the Monmouth County Nat'l Championship. And just when the broken rib was feeling good.
Will bring a cowbell.
Welcome to old age. Heal up.

Hmm, hurts to walk but not ride a bike. Maybe I'll do beginner race. Sorta like CAT 1 guys doing the sport race, but it's Tatum so who cares......?

The Woods Hollow is a great race, I grew up 4 miles from Tatum. In a way Tatum is a nostalgic park for me, I know that sounds crazy to many readers here. I started venturing there in 1997 and its the place that got me into this whole mountain biking thing.

In 1999 I entered my first Woods Hollow Classic, took 48th or something overall in the beginner race. I vowed to ride everyday for next year to try and win. Next year I wanted to win, but my department store mountain bike didn't want to let me! Finished 12th. Year after I was aboard a nice shiney cannondale XC bike purchased from the peddler shop in Red Bank, I finally won! After that I did the sport race the next year. I did 3 or 4 sport races there between the span from '03 to '11. Mountain biking was an occasional thing for a while.

The racing bug bit me though. It was a good motivator to train and ride, get me out of the house. Being a local race it was cool for friends and family to come watch too. The racing then evolved and transformed, led to a few years racing motorcyles then working in the motorsports industry after. Got back into mtn bike racing XC/enduros last year. I always wanted the overall win at Tatum. After breaking my collarbone last August it looked to be a challenge but I put a lot of seat time in and entered the race last year, finally took that overall win, It felt good to get that one off my chest. I'm going to try and get back there before the year ends, I enjoy riding there.

For those that think tatum is boring, like any park, to take the boring away just go faster!

Back
Top Bottom