What have you done to your bike today?

It seems like that a bit of overkill for a tire that size. I had 2.5" on a 21 internal before and it's fine. You want a bit of that bulge for rim protection. It's mostly noticeable on the Hugo's that I think you have 2.8's on? I tried that fitment before and the sidewall is at the same width as the rim wall.

I am running tubes on all these combos till I figure it out. Will the profile change much going tubeless for tires in the 2.6-3.0 sizes?
Had Dirt Wizards 3.0 on the Hugo and they seem true to size, I'll need to measure the bulge dimensions, but that equates to the rim being roughly 66% of the overall wheel width. I can't find the calc tool, but its right the suggested minimum tire size. Will take better pics of the Hugo today, with the heavy sidewalls of the DWs, the rims seems well protected, though I haven't ridden it in low pressures yet.

I am running tubes on all these combos till I figure it out. Will the profile change much going tubeless for tires in the 2.6-3.0 sizes?
Had Dirt Wizards 3.0 on the Hugo and they seem true to size, I'll need to measure the bulge dimensions, but that equates to the rim being roughly 66% of the overall wheel width. I can't find the calc tool, but its right the suggested minimum tire size. Will take better pics of the Hugo today, with the heavy sidewalls of the DWs, the rims seems well protected, though I haven't ridden it in low pressures yet.
I can't say because all of my tests were tubeless, but i think tubes could potentially give a much rounder appearance because, well, they're round tubes forcing everything outwards from center. I tried the Specialized Ground Control(?) 3.0" I think on the Hugo's and the sidewalls were almost straight. I could definitely see them looking much rounder with a tube. Tubeless will push in the way of least resistance I assume, but certainly rides better.

general question on sealant and tires
does leaving sealant in a tire for prolonged time cause weeping?
As you know, I now have several sets of wheels and wondering what you guys, especially those who have race sets do?

general question on sealant and tires
does leaving sealant in a tire for prolonged time cause weeping?
As you know, I now have several sets of wheels and wondering what you guys, especially those who have race sets do?
I've only noticed in on wheels that I've used CO2 in at some point. I do remember reading something about CO2 and sealant.

Tons of weeping through my widewalls. I think it just happens when the tires sit and the sealant separates out and the liquid is thinner and can come through the sides.

On my last trip I brought a bottle of Bontrager sealant (since I'd be removing it at the end of the week and I wouldn't care if TSA tossed it anyway) that had been sitting way too long and the sealant was completely solid in the bottle. Putting the liquid in my tires resulted in it leaking through my sidewalls way more than I normally see.

Tons of weeping through my widewalls. I think it just happens when the tires sit and the sealant separates out and the liquid is thinner and can come through the sides.

On my last trip I brought a bottle of Bontrager sealant (since I'd be removing it at the end of the week and I wouldn't care if TSA tossed it anyway) that had been sitting way too long and the sealant was completely solid in the bottle. Putting the liquid in my tires resulted in it leaking through my sidewalls way more than I normally see.

so its probably a good idea to shake your wheels a bit if it's sitting longer than a few weeks?
I assume folks with race wheels do this to their Valors and such

so its probably a good idea to shake your wheels a bit if it's sitting longer than a few weeks?
I assume folks with race wheels do this to their Valors and such
Just go out for a dirty ride and let the mud and dirt seal it in.
Looks like this weekend will be perfect for that!

My first set of real SS wheels. The poor guy's father forgot to mention they were I9 hubs... So, crazy cheap
IMG_20171221_161922.jpg

yesterday i finally picked up a rolling tool cart to put my toolbox full of bike tools (and milk crates of extra parts) on so that i can roll it out of the way when im not using it.

also broke in my new winter shoes today, best money spent in a while (right behind the bike itself)

After @The Squirrel was kind enough to inform me the old skool truing stand he has probably won't fly with modern kit, I set about looking for an alternative. At some point I plan to design a clip-on fork/frame mounted thingy and make hundreds, but for now I dredged out my old motorcycle wheel balancer rig.

Wonderfully, it fits a 15mm axle perfectly. I just need some sort of indicator, which a couple of magnets in some sort of design should serve nicely. And if I find some proper sized steel rod I can do 9mm qr too. Hoping it'll work with the tire still mounted on big 2.4 29er stuff.
Winning!

IMG_6082.JPG

The old SnowDog got some upgrades. Installed new RF Turbine cinch crank and a micro (24t) DM chainring (eagle in reverse;)), RF Aefect pedals, a pair of RedMonkey Silicone lock-on grips to help insulate my hands from the bars and the 800mm wide 35.0 diameter RF bars and 50 mil Aefect stem I took off of the new Nomad.
D5EE3C3E-304D-4646-90F2-CEDB22ECF599.jpeg

I’m committed to gaining some level of comfort on flats this year.... no issues getting over the logs. But I did have to think about keeping my feet on the pedals.... probably gonna miss my clipless the first time I try and launch off something & die.

Last edited:
Finally getting around to shock service now that there's sizeable snowfall. Next step is servicing my fork and bump it from 120 to 130. Was a lot harder than I expected to track down a fox 130 air shaft.
IMG_4952.JPG

Back
Top Bottom