What have you done to your bike today?

not yet, you should at least consider doing the rear stays which seem to be the biggest collection area for moisture
I'm surprised you skipped it as you're pretty good with doing things right
Is frame saver doing it right? I researched it myself just because I know steel rusts and wanted to protect it, but is it a normal procedure? Do bike shops treat frames before selling?

Is frame saver doing it right? I researched it myself just because I know steel rusts and wanted to protect it, but is it a normal procedure? Do bike shops treat frames before selling?
I don't know about now, but in the late 80s we always shot wd40 in the steel tubes since we only had one bike and was ridden in all conditions.

found this on the Seven Cycles website:
Protecting the Inside of Your Frame
A rust inhibitor such as Frame Saver™ or Boeshield T-9™ is the very best defense against rust. We strongly recommend applying a rust inhibitor to the inside of your frame at least once a season; however, the more you ride in wet conditions, the more applications we suggest. It is not possible to apply rust inhibitor too often or too liberally.

Surly:
Apply Rust Inhibitor To The Insides Of The Tubes

The outside of your frame is covered with a tough coat of paint. Even when you get dings in the paint, rust never gets too far because the surface has a chance to dry, so you don’t really even need to touch up scratches (of course, if you leave it outside under a tarp, it’s going to rust more than if you get it out and ride it). The inside of the frame tubes, however, are a rust breeding environment. Water gets inside your frame. It does. It can seep into the smallest places, like down your seat tube as water sprays up from your wheel.

See the little holes the inside of your chainstays? They’re there to allow gasses to release when the frame is being welded, but they also serve to allow some airflow in the tubing. That’s great, but it isn’t enough. It’s a really good idea to coat the insides of the tubes with some kind of protectant. This is best done, obviously, when the frame is still naked, without any components installed. After the initial frame prep, get yourself some JP Weigle Frame Saver or motor fogging oil or boiled linseed oil. Any of these are a kind of sticky oil that coat the insides of the tubes and prevent rust from starting. Frame Saver is a bit toxic, as it comes in an aerosol can, but it has a spray nozzle that lets you easily get into the nooks and crannies on your frame and comes with complete instructions. One can should let you do 3 or 4 frames on average. But whatever you use, go one tube at a time. Spray some in according to the instructions (or a little more than you think you need) and roll the frame around so it coats the entire inside surface. Make sure you remember every tube , including the head tube and fork legs. Let it air out and gel up for a day or so, then clean up any extra on the outside of the frame. Add a light coat of grease to the BB threads, the ends and inside of the head tube, and the seat tube, then install your parts and go ride.

Boeshield does the same thing, and is way less of a mess/pain to clean, just so y'all know. Weigle is closer to fogging spray.

The Boeshield sets up waxy, which can't sells heal, but that's not a problem inside a tube.

Boeshield does the same thing, and is way less of a mess/pain to clean, just so y'all know. Weigle is closer to fogging spray.

The Boeshield sets up waxy, which can't sells heal, but that's not a problem inside a tube.
I've always read the JP stuff lasted longer as most don't go about reapplying, even though they should. Can you use Boeshield on top of JP as a touch up?

Won't hurt. The solvent in the spray can might soften the other stuff, but it will set back up when it flashes off.

The long, "sprinkler hose" tube on the weigle can is trick for spraying frames, though...

Mounted one of two new road tires last night... Schwalbe Pro One 25mm on Mavic wheelset, tubeless. Only did the rear. Got it inflated easy enough with regular floor pump, but never heard the familiar pop sound. Went to 130 psi and nothing. Looked like everything was nice and straight, and it was still holding air this morning when I left for work. Should not hearing the pop concern me? I've had Bontranger and Specialized tires on this wheel, all tubeless, with no problems, but in the past, the shop has mounted them, so I don't know if there ever was a pop sound.

Mounted one of two new road tires last night... Schwalbe Pro One 25mm on Mavic wheelset, tubeless. Only did the rear. Got it inflated easy enough with regular floor pump, but never heard the familiar pop sound. Went to 130 psi and nothing. Looked like everything was nice and straight, and it was still holding air this morning when I left for work. Should not hearing the pop concern me? I've had Bontranger and Specialized tires on this wheel, all tubeless, with no problems, but in the past, the shop has mounted them, so I don't know if there ever was a pop sound.
I don't always get the pop. Did the tire seem to go on the rim fairly easily/smoothly? It may just have slid into place without having to pop over onto the bead seat. It just happened to me last week when I had to patch my Chameleon tire. Didn't get a pop either on the RaceFace rims. Just spin in and see if it's sitting evenly and good to go!

I don't always get the pop. Did the tire seem to go on the rim fairly easily/smoothly? It may just have slid into place without having to pop over onto the bead seat. It just happened to me last week when I had to patch my Chameleon tire. Didn't get a pop either on the RaceFace rims. Just spin in and see if it's sitting evenly and good to go!

Ditto. It happens (sample size: a lot of tires). If you are concerned after checking that the witness line is visible equidistant all around, deflate it and press in at the bead to dismount it... You should know what it should feel like.

Yeah, that could be it. There's zero wiggle room on these. Road tubeless is so fucking tight when the rim bed is completely flat. I spun it by hand and it looked ok. I still need to add the sealant tonight. Will prolly give it a quick spin on the trainer to test it out...

Road tubeless is so fucking tight when the rim bed is completely flat.
This could be it too, 99%. The reason tires pop is when they jump from that inner well onto the bead seat, or over the little humps, and against the rim wall. If the rims is completely flat, it'll just slide into place without the loud bang, or at least, much quieter.

Did the JPW yesterday and began the build today
MVIMG_20171101_123743.jpg

Actually starting to hate bikes less as these SS builds are helping me move towards less bike maintenance
MVIMG_20171101_212024.jpg

This could be it too, 99%. The reason tires pop is when they jump from that inner well onto the bead seat, or over the little humps, and against the rim wall. If the rims is completely flat, it'll just slide into place without the loud bang, or at least, much quieter.
Was still good last night.. as I removed valve core, the beads popped out, put in 2oz Stans and re-inflated, and they slid back in quietly. Strange.

Replaced chain and bottom bracket. Freaking worn out in 5 months. 11-speed is this normal wear for Shimano XT? Chain was over 1% and when measured with a 12 inch ruler was 12 3/16. Bottom bracket felt rough when spinning. I had 9 speed stuff go way longer in worst riding conditions.

That blue bar works well on that black frame.
Want some blue ferrules and cable ends? Might have blue valve dust caps too.
Yep, thanks again for the gift. Also have a blue Endless cog, but black single ring. The bright blue does look good with the matte black. I'd like to add one more blue piece like a saddle.

The Trans Am will have a green, red theme. Will be looking for red bars after dialing in the cockpit

Yep, thanks again for the gift. Also have a blue Endless cog, but black single ring. The bright blue does look good with the matte black. I'd like to add one more blue piece like a saddle.

The Trans Am will have a green, red theme. Will be looking for red bars after dialing in the cockpit
You are picking all the right colors!
I also have red!

Red Defy
Blue Talon
Green Trance

Last edited:
Well I went to charge up my headlight last week and the charger "caved in". I went to Bright Eyes web site and told them what happened and within three days a new charger (free) arrived in the mail. Great service. No correspondence throughout any of this, but they DID take care of the problem. Thanks!

Bright Eyes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom