• Chain Waxing

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Not lubing your chain

• Overlubing your chain

• High Pivot Trail Bikes

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Insufficiently long headtubes for tall riders, coupled with silly-short zero rise stems.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Tubeless Sealant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flat Mount Brakes

• Headphones

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sunglasses

• Total voters
You will not be able to choose the stem length when you order the bike.. so you either get super lucky on the stem length, or you have to shell out ever more money to make the bike fit you.
Because that’s the only way to route the cables right, you have to buy another bar/stem from Cannondale?

Also, are the steerer tube spacers swappable with out removing the lines? Like my road bike has?

Also, I will say that it is priced right. It’s 500 less than a similarly spec’s epic 8. The scalpel is actually spec’d a little better.
I guess you can use that $500 for a bar / stem that fits.

Last edited:
I feel like the only clips of XC bikes I see lately are with xc riders doing huge jumps..
Pink bike is notorious for bad reporting/bad press and are mostly gravity based.
So true...I went and looked up that article that @jShort mentioned...there are two riding pictures....one where the guy is descending with the dropper down, the other is this one
1711628655938.png

PB had a video a couple of years ago of one of their enduro bros testing a top fuel against some other bikes on a mixed loop. They liked it, but loved to comment about how twitchy the bike felt on the downs. Of course it does if all you ride is enduro bikes. You need to get used to it. My own A/B testing shows very little difference in DH performance between bike types until you start approaching MC type terrain.

PB had a video a couple of years ago of one of their enduro bros testing a top fuel against some other bikes on a mixed loop. They liked it, but loved to comment about how twitchy the bike felt on the downs. Of course it does if all you ride is enduro bikes. You need to get used to it. My own A/B testing shows very little difference in DH performance between bike types until you start approaching MC type terrain.
Ya they usually leave out/minimize the part where the bike has aspen tires on it....

I have put a set of minions on my Scalpel before....Obviously you would expect it to make a major difference, but it still blows my mind how big of a difference it makes.

That looks more appropriate for a 2024 XC WC Olympic race than most trail features. I see no issue with including that picture.
I happen to think the WC course are fucking stupid....XC is a fitness based discipline....they put these obstacles in for the sole reason of attracting spectators who are hoping to see people crash. And while I understand that spectators are the only thing that bring money to a sport...and without them, the participants don't make money.....Its an unfortunate way to sell out. They have made it into "Enduro-lite".

But its not just about his picture, the entire review was based around the bikes ability to descend, and thats not why you spend alot of money on a XC race bike.

I happen to think the WC course are fucking stupid....XC is a fitness based discipline....they put these obstacles in for the sole reason of attracting spectators who are hoping to see people crash. And while I understand that spectators are the only thing that bring money to a sport...and without them, the participants don't make money.....Its an unfortunate way to sell out. They have made it into "Enduro-lite".

But its not just about his picture, the entire review was based around the bikes ability to descend, and thats not why you spend alot of money on a XC race bike.

No argument there, there's been a few racers speaking up about the trend of making XCO into an obstacle course. It makes total sense why the Epic Evo is now the default Epic when courses feature 5' drops.

It's also a first ride review at a press camp, there isn't that much of speaking how it rides at all. It's mostly about the spec of the bike. I honestly stopped reading when I saw headset routing. No thank you, ever. Thankfully most brands seem to be backing off that...but Cannondale gonna snapenfale.

happen to think the WC course are fucking stupid....XC is a fitness based discipline....they put these obstacles in for the sole reason of attracting spectators who are hoping to see people crash.

Interesting take…. But I totally disagree.

I love the courses being more technical. Sure, fitness is still king, but having a super strong technical skill set is now a huge advantage.

Isn’t that a good thing? It makes the races way more fun to watch. And more fun for the racers to race.

Best of all, it makes the bikes much more capable. 10 years ago they were all on hardtails with 100mm forks. Now, we get 120 f/r. With slack HAs, droppers which weigh a little more than straight posts.

I don’t see a single downside to the changes XC has gone through.

No argument there, there's been a few racers speaking up about the trend of making XCO into an obstacle course. It makes total sense why the Epic Evo is now the default Epic when courses feature 5' drops.

It's also a first ride review at a press camp, there isn't that much of speaking how it rides at all. It's mostly about the spec of the bike. I honestly stopped reading when I saw headset routing. No thank you, ever. Thankfully most brands seem to be backing off that...but Cannondale gonna snapenfale.
Just wait for the next generation when they come out with regular housing as a new innovation. I actually think the threaded BB is weird on a Cannondale combined with through-headset cable routing. I'd be less bothered if the rear brake line was outside the headset and dropper/shifter went through it especially now with wireless.

Interesting take…. But I totally disagree.

I love the courses being more technical. Sure, fitness is still king, but having a super strong technical skill set is now a huge advantage.

Isn’t that a good thing? It makes the races way more fun to watch. And more fun for the racers to race.

Best of all, it makes the bikes much more capable. 10 years ago they were all on hardtails with 100mm forks. Now, we get 120 f/r. With slack HAs, droppers which weigh a little more than straight posts.

I don’t see a single downside to the changes XC has gone through.

Are we actually talking about real tech though? I'm no pro XC expert but all those tech sections don't seem that crazy. I wouldn't want to hit them two hours into a course blind on an XC bike but they all seem like they have a good clear line you can hit each time.

I'm not sure what's worse: generally smooth XC courses with a few stupid obstacles thrown in or enduro courses that are trying to outdo DH races for craziness. It is nice to see the XC bikes become more capable all around.

Back
Top Bottom