Wharton Conditions

Recent storms have tossed a lot of blowdowns on the trail. We cleared the west side of the trail up to the blue trail fork this week.

A couple of us will be meeting at the firetower this Sunday 10:00a to clear a fallen big'un near the trailhead and then several more on the east side of the trail up to the ghost town of Mount. On behalf of the legal axe team of Gransfors and Council, all are invited. Work boots, gloves and a sense of humor are recommended.

Recent storms have tossed a lot of blowdowns on the trail. We cleared the west side of the trail up to the blue trail fork this week.

A couple of us will be meeting at the firetower this Sunday 10:00a to clear a fallen big'un near the trailhead and then several more on the east side of the trail up to the ghost town of Mount. On behalf of the legal axe team of Gransfors and Council, all are invited. Work boots, gloves and a sense of humor are recommended.

Much thanks to Moray42 and Pibbles (plus the legal axe team of Mueller, Council and Gransfors)! For clearing the three big 'uns near the trailhead and the three fallen tree tops up the east side.
Three thoughts during todays work... its way too hot for this. And... hey, Rick has gotten very effective swinging that axe. And... next time hand Rick the big heavy steel pruners, not the small alu pruners. :)

Much thanks to Moray42 and Pibbles (plus the legal axe team of Mueller, Council and Gransfors)! For clearing the three big 'uns near the trailhead and the three fallen tree tops up the east side.
Three thoughts during todays work... its way too hot for this. And... hey, Rick has gotten very effective swinging that axe. And... next time hand Rick the big heavy steel pruners, not the small alu pruners. :)
I'll just hand him the heavy axe and leave the pruners behind! Even in the heat it was still good times! You get the feeling we're the only people that enjoy swinging those axes,and ever wonder what that says about us?

The whole area was very dry today, I guess normal for the sandy roads / trails. I saw the crowds at Batsto area, but there were spots available in the parking lot when I biked through it. For those coming from northern or central NJ, you can cut down on driving time/distance by parking at Atsion Village parking lot in Wharton forest right off of Rt. 206. Then it's about a 6 mile bike ride on a sandy road till you hit the orange trail. Hit up all the trails today and including the road from Atsion Village, it made it for a 45 mile ride. I am spent for the day.

Hello good people of south Jersey.

Was planning to do a long training ride down in Batsto to try and get ready for Cathedral Pines. I know we got a lot of rain up here in the Philly area so just wondering if conditions will be good to ride on Saturday morning.

Thanks for your help!

Hello good people of south Jersey.
Was planning to do a long training ride down in Batsto to try and get ready for Cathedral Pines. I know we got a lot of rain up here in the Philly area so just wondering if conditions will be good to ride on Saturday morning.
Thanks for your help!

Wharton conditions are currently as good as it gets.
Have a fun long ride!

Anyone have a read on Wharton conditions for tomorrow am? Planning on a sunrise ride. temps should be below freezing
Didn't end up with much snow. When I drove by this morning there was a scattered dusting in the woods off the side of the road, but mostly clear. Little bit of sun penetration may have even cleared it out. Should be fine sub freezing at least.

Didn't end up with much snow. When I drove by this morning there was a scattered dusting in the woods off the side of the road, but mostly clear. Little bit of sun penetration may have even cleared it out. Should be fine sub freezing at least.

Thanks for the update.. the trails were in awesome shape. Toward the end of my ride, the leaves in the edges of the trail were getting slippery from thaw.

Thanks for the update.. the trails were in awesome shape. Toward the end of my ride, the leaves in the edges of the trail were getting slippery from thaw.
Not a problem. Went out in the afternoon, and other than some intermittent damp spots it was still good.

Side note, @slingblade_uhhuh, we've got a few new trees down on white inside of the green loop. 1 or 2 are axe candidates. Otherwise probably just handsaw.

Prescribed burns scheduled this week, 2/27/17, at Wharton State Forest, Rancocas State Park, Brendan Byrne State Park, Greenwood WMA, and other locations.

Prescribed burn schedules are posted at FaceBook.com/NewJerseyForests

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 139
I rode Friday afternoon. It was prime.
There has been a light rain all day Saturday. It is forecasted to end tonight.
Sunday should be good.

as always...
please do not pedal thru Batsto Village.
please do not ride on the hiking-only trails.
please look both ways before crossing a sand road. there is sporadic jeep/truck traffic.
if you are riding during a freeze/thaw, and the trail is a sand slurry. please ride the sand roads that run along the trail instead.
if you have an urgent need while in the parking lot, please use the rest rooms inside and/or to the side of the visitor center (the latter is open 24/7).

Last edited:
thanks for the info!

I rode Friday afternoon. It was prime.
There has been a light rain all day Saturday. It is forecasted to end tonight.
Sunday should be good.

as always...
please do not pedal thru Batsto Village.
please do not ride on the hiking-only trails.
please look both ways before crossing a sand road. there is sporadic jeep/truck traffic.
if you are riding during a freeze/thaw, and the trail is a sand slurry. please ride the sand roads that run along the trail instead.
if you have an urgent need while in the parking lot, please use the rest rooms inside and/or to the side of the visitor center (the latter is open 24/7).

DVOA is hosting an Orienteering (running/hiking) race Saturday 4-15-2017. This race will have staggered starts between 10:00 am and 2:00. There will be runners on and off the many trails on the southwest part of Wharton State Forest. I do not know where the course is set but it usually starts and finishes in the picnic circle just north of the parking lot. This race is open to the public and may draw between 100-130 people. The cost to participate is approx. $10-$15/participant. If you want to try navigating, go to the registration table as they accept and encourage walk ups. If you ask they will provide enough training to get you started on a novice course. Below is an old course from circa 2012 (Batsto is the orange area at the bottom):
sHvp-0aNCi3tNw1_tB1arIPLibFcwlGi7cFU6M3wsWFxCq8vwUxcENeFSnQ3cTFrJYfqE5I2iHv3ebgIhaqQqRsfGQ_cAjbtcTc5WoD5pCBs2WmVTtNvWHUizMKtcbWwyBbJwskm761re0JStOLKzN2AoRhSn10gmbA7-5-2Ebtxst8RfGW0py_9RLjrlYP-zq2U4-gMUSkkhzT_pWf145FIpgMTFSA6tqsmdxknRB-vLfUpCgVqPxxVkTwz7pN4rmyAWHfirtTLxIbk9eqfIufJ_L0VOZIe5_wKXduTFrc3U9Uib5-H7HtTSscTx2cRw5rRBl_bq2KUPOfcNAtc-2I63zLgxVI6u6ZO9vdy4xZpghKlUrPSxU7oS5Usx3xjyluTGB6Ic8BWSqkAQJ33r_rwpcOwPBVW7AnjpC6FanIOa5kBGDceliIkvat0naNB2zYcR6opUZ4hGV_-olzexkSHfsphKVu43Jqg7uuQrpM2S85PlpnijnCFywchIVfne-0IzP_m4KWFCvNsvCq8TCYv_GRPH3Irtj301QHnCM-mJruXy7VrhEza_AW54czK-L1xAc_0itqTAE0m8P_CRQJpywk-AhrphCXVxvJa4QULSuYT4r-I=w740-h990-no

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions