Wharton Conditions

Current conditions is melting snow, slush and soft mushy trail tread.
Give it another week.

When the freeze/thaw becomes thaw this winter and the trail tread is soft from the thaw, please stay off of the Batsto MTB Trails.
Instead, please ride and explore Wharton Forest’s sand roads and unmarked multi-use trails. If you do that one small favor, it helps to keep the Batsto MTB Trails firm and in good shape for many more years to come.

Most of those aforementioned Wharton Forest’s sand roads and unmarked multi-use trails can include scenic views, historic sites and/or *old school pinelands challenges*. Riding a brisk pace down any Wharton Forest secondary sand road is always good training. Visiting the Devious Mount trails is definitely old school fun. And everyone needs to visit the Apple Pie Hill overlook at least once. If after looking at a map of Wharton Forest, or reading about pinelands ghost towns, you have questions about alternate routes, PM or post, and we'll give you an answer.

Please be adequately prepared before exploring Wharton Forest.
Please look both ways before crossing the sand roads.
Please do not ride on the hiking-only trails. Please do not ride thru Batsto Village.
here's one for one for you;
"This has to be the worst riding weather in some time.
Wharton drains, let's do it."---found that on another site. Just did a round trip today, Driving (Chatsworth-New Gretna). It's wet. Last week I was at The BTB, all off road, road riding. It's not the end of the world to do some off road, road riding.

Attachments

• IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5266 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5266 - Copy.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 158
here's one for one for you;
"This has to be the worst riding weather in some time.
Wharton drains, let's do it."---found that on another site. Just did a round trip today, Driving (Chatsworth-New Gretna). It's wet. Last week I was at The BTB, all off road, road riding. It's not the end of the world to do some off road, road riding.

Second to what the Sandman sez.
Last weeks snow has been replaced by this mornings heavy wet snow. The ground is saturated. Please give the mtb singletrack some time to drain/dry before riding it.
If you have to ride when the conditions are wet, please ride the sand roads. Doing that one small favor will keep the singletrack in a good firm condition. Thanks.

KenS (pronounced KenS) posted pic and route from his recent snowy sand road Batsto-Jenkins ride. That's Godfrey Bridge in the pic. Be like KenS and Sandman and ride the sand roads when conditions are wet.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2015-2016-biyf-online-winter-complaint-repository.38395/page-62

Last edited:
Any updates on Wharton after today's snowfall? The trail conditions popup is empty.

Didnt popups become unfashionable shortly after iframes were discarded? And rightfully so?

WSF ground is saturated after last weeks snow melt, this weeks rain, and this mornings wet snowfall. We have been requesting that if folks need to ride Wharton while the ground is soft, that they ride the sand roads instead. Or that they go east a few miles and ride the Port Republic trails, where the sun always shines, the children are always polite, and the Crazy Horse is a short ten minute drive away.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forums/Port-Republic/

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Wasn't sure what kind of weather happened there since that big snowfall. Will stick to pavement this wknd

Didnt popups become unfashionable shortly after iframes were discarded? And rightfully so?

WSF ground is saturated after last weeks snow melt, this weeks rain, and this mornings wet snowfall. We have been requesting that if folks need to ride Wharton while the ground is soft, that they ride the sand roads instead. Or that they go east a few miles and ride the Port Republic trails, where the sun always shines, the children are always polite, and the Crazy Horse is a short ten minute drive away.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forums/Port-Republic/

So you've heard the rumors about our port trails? Damn it!!!
When I said "pop up" I was referring to the little window that shows after you click on "Trail Conditions".

Conditions today=frozen solid and perfect

Attachments

• IMG_20160210_135256901.jpg
    IMG_20160210_135256901.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 161
Does anyone know if the trails will be ok by tomorrow morning after all these storms? There has been a ton of wind and rain the past few days!

My guess is probably, but I can't say for certain. It is pretty dry at home, and I'm not all that far from there. The areas near the boggy crossings may be a bit saturated. I'd also be on the lookout for sticks/trees on the trail. May check it out tomorrow.

My guess is probably, but I can't say for certain. It is pretty dry at home, and I'm not all that far from there. The areas near the boggy crossings may be a bit saturated. I'd also be on the lookout for sticks/trees on the trail. May check it out tomorrow.

Judging by how quickly my neighborhood trails dried out, thanks to that constant strong wind, I'm guessing that the WSF trails will be prime this Sat & Sun.
BTW: The JORBA winter jam is this Sunday. The weatherman is saying that it will be a perfect day for a bike ride.
https://www.bikereg.com/jorba-winter-jam

The trails at the YMCA Camp were nearly perfect today. Have to agree WSF will also be primo this weekend. Sunday in Medford will be awesome for the racers and a ride before or after the Jam.

I can confirm what @moray42 , @slingblade_uhhuh , and @KenS have all mentioned. Just finished a ride at Wharton and trails were frozen, fast and flowy this morning. Quite a bit of tree litter on the trails. Picked up what we could handle. 2 trees down on the Orange. We were riding CW, first tree was about 1.3miles from the halfway point trail map sign, about 18" dia. The second was 2.5miles from that tree. Much bigger twin trunk, both are 24" dia. Encountered another tree down on the Red.

And trails will be perfect at the Jorba Jam.

I can confirm what @moray42 , @slingblade_uhhuh , and @KenS have all mentioned. Just finished a ride at Wharton and trails were frozen, fast and flowy this morning. Quite a bit of tree litter on the trails. Picked up what we could handle. 2 trees down on the Orange. We were riding CW, first tree was about 1.3miles from the halfway point trail map sign, about 18" dia. The second was 2.5miles from that tree. Much bigger twin trunk, both are 24" dia. Encountered another tree down on the Red.

And trails will be perfect at the Jorba Jam.
Cool. Didn't make it out myself, but I do have a large saw that needs testing, right @slingblade_uhhuh

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions