Wharton Conditions

pibbles

I rode Friday afternoon. It was prime.
There has been a light rain all day Saturday. It is forecasted to end tonight.
Sunday should be good.

as always...
please do not pedal thru Batsto Village.
please do not ride on the hiking-only trails.
please look both ways before crossing a sand road. there is sporadic jeep/truck traffic.
if you are riding during a freeze/thaw, and the trail is a sand slurry. please ride the sand roads that run along the trail instead.
if you have an urgent need while in the parking lot, please use the rest rooms inside and/or to the side of the visitor center (the latter is open 24/7).
Rode sunday with @Davesnhere conditions were outstanding,however it was frickin hot! Last couple of miles had us crawlin! Handed out more jorba cards so look for that influx of new members at the next tm!

Attachments

• 20170416_122254.jpg
    20170416_122254.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 206

wilburdeb

I did a Penn Branch Swamp loop to pay homage to the trails namesake. After six cool months of riding, yesterday was a scorcher. The trails are extremely dry.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was hoping there would be a last minute change with the desicion to shutdown NJ State Parks and Forests. But thats not the case. Screenshots from the official WSF FaceBook page below. Take it for what its worth and plan accordingly.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What if you look out the window and accidentally see a bird?
What if you have car trouble and have to get out and hike around your car?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The current word is that the parking lots and camp areas in the forest are posted with signs saying *this facility is closed*. Park Police are patrolling the camping areas and parking lots politely telling folks to leave.

Davesnhere

Just rode my Fatty from the Atsion Ranger Station (Parked at my Nieces house on Atsion road) to the Penn branch, hung a left on the Penn Branch and rode it all the way to the Blue, rode that back to Penn Branch, had a nice crash (a damn tree jumped out in front of me, lol), then back to Atsion..(27 miles total)…Did not see one ranger!!! Stay FAT, and have a great 4th my friends!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Several reports are on-line about a major forest fire, two miles north of Batsto in an unreachable area near Penn Swamp, that as of this afternoon were impacting the hiking and biking trails in that area.

edit add: it was posted that the trails in the area will be closed and that forestry staff request that the public stay away from this area tomorrow 7/21/17, to help facilitate the containment of this fire.

Last edited:

pibbles

Several reports are on-line about a major forest fire, two miles north of Batsto in an unreachable area near Penn Swamp, that as of this afternoon were impacting the hiking and biking trails in that area.

edit add: it was posted that the trails in the area will be closed and that forestry staff request that the public stay away from this area tomorrow 7/21/17, to help facilitate the containment of this fire.
That might save us alot of clipping and mowing this season!

moray42

Merman
Slight haze this morning and I can clearly smell it 15-20 miles away. More noticeable than usual from this far away.

wilburdeb

From the video news footage I have seen the some of the affected area is centered around the shooting range/fire tower (1/2 mile north of Batsto)

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Its a big one. 3,500 acres including the back burns.
Posted on the NJ Parks, Forests & Historical Sites page 2 hours ago...

"All trails including the Batona Trail are currently closed.

Campgrounds closed are Mullica River Camp, Lower Forge Camp, Hawkins Bridge Camp, Buttonwood Hill Camp and Godfrey Bridge Camp.

The Quaker Bridge is currently closed. Crowleys Landing Boat Launch is closed. The Bulltown Road is closed except to local traffic. The Batsto Village is closed but not in danger. Be advised that there is heavy smoke and ash in the all areas. Please call the office at 609-561-3262 if you have a reservation and have any concerns."

Last edited:

Davesnhere

I just called the number, was told they just had a briefing and the village will open today, but ALL TRAILS ARE CLOSED INDEFINITELY! He said they're will be alot of trail maintenance necessary before they will re-open. Kurt, let me know when and where you wanna start...

moray42

Merman
Echoing what Dave already posted, trails closed indefinitely and will need work. Snagged this from @slingblade_uhhuh on Facebook. What is left of the long bridge on the orange trail. Looks like 3500 or so acres burned, with the fire 100% contained and controlled according to the most recent update.
IMG_0748.jpg

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Forestry staff are reminding us that all of the mtb trails are closed, and that all of the hiking trails AND sand roads in the burned area are closed. Park Police and the Forest Fire Service are regularly patrolling the area.

add/edit: Due to the recent forest fire, the WSF Batsto mtb trails are closed indefinetly pending a safety review by the forestry service. Please respect the closure.

If you have any questions about what areas and/or trails are open/closed, please call the Batsto office, 609-561-0024.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions