To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumble in the Jungle 2016 Cat 2 50+

I might not have done this race if the cat 2 field started at noon, but to mirror @extremedave's sentiment, it
worked out well with the plans for the day. load the car up last night - with the anthem (26r again) - all week,
i was going to take the time to put the gears back on the paragon. didn't happen. Up at 5:30, for a 6:30ish departure.
This was the same plan as wayway, but jungle is much closer, and i'm in the lot at 7:35. Dennis from HG pulls in next
to me. We grab our numbers, and get ready. While at registration, i spot @David Taylor and introduce myself. He is stoked.
Not a poker face... :)

Anyway, being my first cat 2 race, I have 2 goals.
1. finish
2. not turn in the slowest time of the day

I held on to the group for the first 10 minutes of the race, the fell-off on an uphill. was happy with the my results on the flats,
and through the rocks. on the second lap, from the finish line thru the tunnels, and out into the next climb i was feeling great.
putting a little gap on a couple guys i passed. then the dreaded chain-suck on an uphill, rocky single track. jump out of the way,
work the chain out, and get passed, never to see them again. I spend most of the second lap in no-man's land. @2Julianas passed,
me, and i tried to hang, but couldn't out-climb her (nor did i expect to) - she took a 1st in her group. Nice job!

I did finish, DFL of the group that they reported - but 8 lined up - so i was DFL, but not. As a side note, i rode with Dror (1st place)
about 3 years ago - and remembered him. that 20 minutes is going to be tough to make up!

i'm glad they measure in 1/1000s of a second.
IMG_4509.JPG

Good stuff guys, badass for catting up. 2 laps = money's worth. Just remember, it never gets easier, you just go faster.

I actually considered driving up there today when they cancelled Fair Hill, but dat rain and parkway....

I'm not ready for Cat 2 by like 30 minutes... but YOLO.

Nice riding Pat. You beat me by a few minutes!

My first cat 2 race was a shit show. It was at Stewart when they still did an h2h. I remember it poured all night and the whole ride up there. We raced in 2 inches of slop most of the time. I think I cramped 13 minutes into the race. Pretty sure I dfl'd. Pretty sure I was close to the last one to finish.

It gets better.

#nohomo

probably because twisted sister opened for them at the final exam on thursday nights - kinda like Jon.
he might be too corporate for many, but he gives alot back

rocks are slippery when wet.....

#nohomo

probably because twisted sister opened for them at the final exam on thursday nights - kinda like Jon.
he might be too corporate for many, but he gives alot back

rocks are slippery when wet.....

Did we go from all day IPAs to bourbon?

well crap - i put some stuff on the calendar for the fall

sept 10 - sourland spectacular - probably do the 45mi,
sept 18 - olympic triathlon relay - 28 miles out of spruce run, up jugtown mountain (done this the last couple years)
Oct 1 - hippo cross masters 50+ (which is just stupid, cause i know who is in this - but it is at 8am, which means home approval)

oh, Hippo cross - looks like they are making it an event! there is a 5k trail race, helicopter rides, beer sponsor......very impressive.

I was happy to see your name for Hippo. The 5k is tempting. The singlespeed race is not tempting considering it's at 4:30pm and my first race would be before 9am.

You forgot to reg for:
Mountain Man 10/30
Bubble Cross Nov 5/6

I was happy to see your name for Hippo. The 5k is tempting. The singlespeed race is not tempting considering it's at 4:30pm and my first race would be before 9am.

You forgot to reg for:
Mountain Man 10/30
Bubble Cross Nov 5/6

mountain man is going on the calendar!
wonder if my kid wants to do a relay again? hope so, otherwise i need to start running.

Hippo!!!! I'll be there yelling for (at) you. Is there a way to combine the beer, 'copter, n da 5k?

Do Bubble! Best course of the series last year.

Hippo!!!! I'll be there yelling for (at) you. Is there a way to combine the beer, 'copter, n da 5k?

Do Bubble! Best course of the series last year.

will see about additional cx races. kinda in to support that local guy that checks in here every so often.......probably do martys also.

so - total blow up - my kid played travel baseball in the fall - all saturday and sunday games. so i made a nice donation to the sourland conservancy,
hippoCX society, at least they are good people - managed not to put money into mt man, (chris is also a good guy, and i wish this race drew more)
or the skylands triathlon....without an event on the books, i've been really lazy.

now i'm in a rut - what was feeling good isn't anymore. sold the cx, got the tallboy in b+, so i'm set up for fun. now i just need to ride it.

so reset, i may start using the trainer. and put HOH on the list again. a few months away, some dieting and riding. will see what happens.

oh, my kid is now playing on the middle school hoop team. 2-3 games a week for the next 10 weeks, practice the other days, 4:45 pick-up. I'm glad he is playing, he seems
happier - and is more focused on his homework. good stuff. and of course he made travel baseball for next summer - this is the last one for him, i don't think our town
fields the higher ages - and he won't make a club team....looking forward to 2018!

was going to say something else, but don't remember. I did pick up some lock picking skills, both keyed and combo.

look for a big DIY in my near future! radiant floor heat coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom