To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the something else, was it how you were afraid about the golden turd bowl setup?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i had to cancel my HoH the last year i was going to ride it because of the date change. i'm gonna try again this year. shared goals.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lol this what happens when you hang around me too much!

Have bikes don't ride. If you place your bike in the family room it makes for a good laundry/ coat rack this time of the year.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When is HOH in 2017? There was a conflict last year with the H2H series regarding the March Mayhem race in south jersey. This year they already posted the date of 3/25/17 for March Mayhem, hopefully the HOH is not going to be on the same date.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
When is HOH in 2017? There was a conflict last year with the H2H series regarding the March Mayhem race in south jersey. This year they already posted the date of 3/25/17 for March Mayhem, hopefully the HOH is not going to be on the same date.

its the same date.

We are pleased to announce the provisional date for the 2017 Hell of Hunterdon is Saturday March 25th.

Registration will open in January. We'll send out an announcement in advance of registration opening.

rick81721

Lothar
its the same date.

We are pleased to announce the provisional date for the 2017 Hell of Hunterdon is Saturday March 25th.

Registration will open in January. We'll send out an announcement in advance of registration opening.

Hey I can do that - will be back from land down under

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
tumblr_inline_n7p6lanLv71sgq185.gif

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hey, two days, two rides! cold and dark on the road hurt, but not that bad. kept it slow.
Going into the woods @6MR at 30f today was great! checked out some of the bridal paths where @jdog is is prepping for a local NICA race.
Quite the crisscross. you don't really think about all the bridal paths that we cross on a ride. peep'd some of the old barns. real blaire witch
stuff going on there. found what i think was a concrete finishing machine. not sure. there is a clearing at the intersection of some of the paths.
looks like it may have been the center of a few different farms.

other than last years base race, i've only had a handful of days riding back-to-back.
that is what you call lazy!!

legs are sore, but in a good way.

Trying to make riding into a habit again.
Two years post accident - time to get over it.

--

so after 3 years, my light batteries have finally failed. I've been running the cheapies. the amount of night riding i've done
doesn't justify anything too expensive - but that could change. ordered a couple of new battery packs, and a new cheap light with
a bezel that matches the bike. bling.

thinking about winter shoes ;)

no new pictures - that is an internet no-no.....

remember this guy

jon-stewart-nonono.gif

Patrick

Staff member
holy hell - i was planning on a couple hours at 6MR but it took all afternoon.
enough of a workout to justify no ride, but the real reason was that my hands hurt!!!
specifically the medial joint forward. strange - but i guess expected. grabbing a bunch
of stuff in cold water.

back at it tomorrow. its a good hurt!!!!!

Patrick

Staff member
Start of year 3 of this blog - and not too much has changed - except for the go-to bike. Noticed more leg strength from doing ladders, and carrying stuff - no endurance.

I'm down in sunny florida for a few weeks, and i may rent a bike and try to hit the pinellas trail. there is no way i'm going on the road here in clearwater. Seniors and drunks, 24/7.

Luckily i'm in a gated community with a golf course. Signed up for a 1/1/2017 5k run. It went ok - actually, it sucked. but good enough for 40/160 and 4/14 in AG. it was a slow race, with 3 u-turns - it was flat, but windy. nice that my race pace is below my old training pace.

IMG_5796.JPG

So since no bike, I've decided to do some running. While i'd rather trail-run on dirt, that isn't happening. I can run the golf course (they don't like it, but don't say anything) - so i did a recovery run yesterday. quick 3 miler. again, flat as a pancake. this was interesting - it is a rosemary bush -

IMG_5801.JPG

i gotta make some lamb!

Heading out for another run now. Signed up for a trail 5k this upcoming sunday. Get me a participation medal.....

looking forward to short track, and hopefully HOH.

oh, weight - lets say i'm starting the year in the mid-high 190s. and it isn't a good 20lbs that need to be lost. it is an ugly 20 lbs.
will weigh in when i get back to NJ. i miss my bike.

HNY everyone. May you exceed your expectations.

Patrick

Staff member
And day 5 - after 4 days of running (3 5k + 5miler) - i was getting itchy to ride. since i may just abandon the bike, and i have limited tools, simple was the way to go. See other thread.

Picked up a 2015 Jamis Beatnik. gearing is 46x16, with a flip-flop hub. upset that the tires are 25 instead of 28, oh well. the bars are so narrow (flat) - put clips on the pedals. can't really get going on the bike path section near me. too many street crossings.
it is flat, and the only thing that hold you back is the wind. i'm going to try to get to the longer stretches of the bike path soon. maybe the clearwater-tampa path.

IMG_5827.JPG

got a matchy bell and water bottle. only thing that needs adjustment right now is the front brake - the spring isn't centered.

i realized that i don't have a pump - just the co2. maybe i'll order up a mini-pump.

came in a bit higher than i wanted to pay, but the shop owner was happy to provide a discount on clothes, and accessories. New helmet was on-sale. he was bummed that he didn't have a men's with blue inserts. I'm going to grab some duct tape or electrical tape, and roll-my-own.

anyway, with 5 days of exercise, and 15 of the last 19 days, i'm feeling pretty good. food is def under control, and i've dropped a few lbs. working on dialing back the beer - easier when not starting until 7:30 or so - maybe later.

Anyway, looking forward to a 5k trail race this sunday. maybe i'll even ride my bike the 24 miles to the race!!

gotta be careful down here, if the cars don't get you.....
IMG_5830.JPG

the bike shop sells 1 fatbike a month - they rent ok tho.
he has never sold a b+ bike.

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Picked up a 2015 Jamis Beatnik. gearing is 46x16, with a flip-flop hub. upset that the tires are 25 instead of 28, oh well. the bars are so narrow (flat) - put clips on the pedals. can't really get going on the bike path section near me. too many street crossings.
it is flat, and the only thing that hold you back is the wind. i'm going to try to get to the longer stretches of the bike path soon. maybe the clearwater-tampa path.

Soundz like you need to be on fixed side of that hub.

Patrick

Staff member
My kid came down to florida for the weekend, along with the rest of the family.
He was down last weekend too, and we ran an off-road 5k. Varied terrain. parking lot, single track, beach, jeep road. He was all geared up to take down the old guy, but as soon as we hit the sand, i put him in the rear view mirror. here is his pre-race game face. It was 35F out that day -

IMG_5882.JPG

This time he would have none of that. He tracked me the whole race and launched an unexpected attack with 100 yards left. Little booger took me down, as i didn't respond to the attack. I'll just need to work harder for the next one.

seems he was plotting - so he used the smiling tiger this time.
IMG_5925.JPG

it's my hair, and i want it back.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
So six weeks have gone by, a couple more foot races against the kid, 1 win for me, 1 for the kid.

As some of you know, my Dad passed away 2/23, he was 78. While we always want more time, he was ready.
Thank you to everyone that reached out.

I spent ~50 of the first 60 days of 2017 in florida. Gotta say, living in a warmer climate doesn't suck, until returning.~

Never did get comfortable with the bike lane next to the 50mph traffic, so i mostly stayed on the sidewalks in that situation. But the paved trail system
is decent, with water and tool stations along the way. The wind can be relentless, and drop bars would have been nice, but it was more about the workout anyway.
Lots of stop-n-go with road crossings, and not getting killed by traffic turning across me, was a good workout on the SS.
My mileage and saddle time are higher than 2014-2016 rates, so trying to keep it going.

IMG_5838.JPG

on the other side, my weight is the same as 2 years ago when i started this thread. right around 190. Clothes fit a bit better, but i'm still rockin' the rolls.

3 weeks to HOH. time to get serious?

I guess serious started yesterday with Short Track #2. Raced the tallboy in b+ mode - mostly because i haven't built the 29er wheelset yet. Lined up in back with @jackx said hello to @ReggieHammond , and @i ride after 5 (i glued a rock to his cleat when he was distracted.) - we rolled out, and being in the back really took the pressure off, because i knew no matter how fast i went, the left turn onto the single track in the woods was going to be a pinch point - and i'm not competing for the front. And pinch, it was. People off their bike at the first rock. i went around wide, and picked up a few spots. With the bike in b+ mode, the couple of slick sections were easy to navigate. lots of riders spinning out. There were three wide open areas to make a pass - and i took advantage of the one at the end of the lake/onto the road/back to single track to pick up a bunch of spots. I wasn't expending a lot of energy following the line of traffic. Caught a few more people on the jeep road near the camp building (short/slick climb onto road, into a fun dh) - and settled in. on lap 1/3/4 i took the tech line near the lake. lap 4 was a disaster, as i lost speed and panicked. Greg said that is where he closed on me, and i couldn't get away from him on the final lap, and he beat me at the line. I was about a minute a lap off the lead group times. both handling and fitness(less fatness?) would go a long way to closing.

so how'd i feel? Cold, then overdressed, tentative for the first couple of laps from no MTB in two months. I have no idea how to ride the high-berm switchbacks at speed. esp when they became muddy. I might watch the Crazy guys ride them next week.

of note - i managed to stay in front of Glenn and Burke - cause 1 is getting used to racing SS, and the other is getting used to racing gears....think i was 16/33, with #33 breaking a chain. #2ManyWatts4aKid

And back to HOH, which was the whole point of this thread. Can't remember what happened in 2015 that derailed it. 2016 was the rescheduling. So - 3 weeks to go. I'm going to get some climbing in, hopefully short track, and work the weight. The damn beer is so good, just compared to a couple years ago. Killing me. Oh, i can feel it the next day if i have 2 of the high alc beers. My body is def telling me something, i'm ignoring it.

Time to clean up the bike.

IMG_6206.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom