To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I think you should change the title of this thread. It is bad juju.

I'm with ya on this one. Had the same thought yesterday.

Pat the alcohol is evil , does nothing but bad things to your body , I have better meds for you ;-)

Funny Story in the hospital:

So the Dr was nice enough to prescribe a strong pain med called dilaudid to help me be comfortable, and sleep. All of the nurses, during the first few days had been adding it to the drip, about 6" upstream of my arm. Well, the jamaican nurse comes in, and its the first time i've been off a drip since i walked into the place. He has to hook me back up for some antibiotics, but i must have looked bad, cause he asked if i needed pain meds, and I said yes.

Instead of hooking up the drip first, he puts the pain meds in directly, and pushes the little bit left in the 2" port with some saline. Takes about 5 seconds and hits me hard. pain is gone, and i'm trying to type a note to describe it. i'm starting to sweat, and just melt into the bed. Totally different feeling than taking the pills (i remember taking percodan when i was 16, and wow, had percocet a few years back, meh) - lasted about 10 minutes, and the fog started to lift. But the pain stays away for a couple hours.

I can see why this can be so addicting. If "getting away" is the goal, this type of high will do it, but it is short lived, and the body can become tolerant, thus the more/more-often problem.

Took some tramadol last night around 1am, first pain med in 24 hours. Still feeling good this morning.

Patrick

Staff member
Made it back to NJ yesterday evening. Good to be home, mostly because of normal trees.
The grass is growing!

I'll rate my pain level at "discomfort", so no opiates needed for relief. Will save them for the next party. on the other hand the discomfort
goes from my lower abdomen to my left nut. probably going to have a low tolerance for stupidity while this is around.

I'm on antibiotics for the next 9 days - they gave me 2. One of them is Flagyl - funny name. Every doctor and nurse that saw
this warned me not to have any alcohol during, and 4 days after taking this. Apparently it will have a painful result - no need to test it.
The other is levaquin - the big one here is that is destabilizes tendons' connection points - so a hard workout could result in a blown achilles.
That is nice to know. Who would like to go for a nice walk on the canal path? Other possible results are permanent distal neuropathy.
I already have crappy fine-motor control of my hands. Hopefully, this doesn't show up.

It was nice to sleep in my own bed last night.

Did I mention that this was my first overnight trip to a hospital? Think I've only gone to the ER half a dozen times, and most of those were to get bandaged up after some type of crash.

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Pat,

Glad you're back and feeling a bit better.

Let me know if you need help removing the temptation of alcohol from your house. :D

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
leavaquin - my old college roommate used to sell that stuff. it will get the job done, but the side effects can be nasty. my understanding is the side effects (like the tendon thing) only happen to certain groups - usually already compromised immune systems. i could be wrong tho.

Patrick

Staff member
not much to report - i'm down about 17lbs from the feb high - so bordering on breaking into the 170s.
i was bad this week, so 1lb in the wrong direction. didn't get in alot of exercise. although moving the piano....story may appear elsewhere.

going to try to get back into doing something everyday that doesn't involve alch....

had a nice loop with @jeffM at 6mr a couple weeks ago - and a quickie at deere park with Matt and Pedals, and Keith (who used to be on here??)
I may need to go with mornings - i've been up early anyway....need to start good habits.

oh, and i set the standard for the toughest trail climb in nj!

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
OK - here is TMI. Was colonoscopy day - always schedule your colonoscopy first thing in the morning. You can't sleep anyway.
turned out well, and post-prep weight was 177! ok, it is an empty, dehydrated weight, but i'll take it.

if you have any family history of breast or colon cancer, start at 40, otherwise 50. it is painless. you get to fast from anything chewy for a day,
and if there is anything in there, they snip it off, and you are good to go. I got the 'see you in 5 years' - assuming my other stuff doesn't go off-the-rails.

haven't done any long rides, or hard rides. but i did get in some saddle time, and ran around a bit. perhaps the stewart 22.5 is more realistic, but ya never know.
did support for longest day at 6MR - couple different groups traveled to nj from pa to complete the ride - it has potential to be a bigger event - but it is a logistics nightmare.

i had already committed to marshaling the kids triathlon in bernardsville on sunday, so couldn't work the nica race (w1f3 blocked)
i worked a U turn at the end of a downhill. it was crash central. only one kid had to stop, and recover - she was probably 9 or so. took a few minutes,
got back on the bike, and off she went. mentally tough!

i'm going to part-out my anthem- its a 2009, so keep an eye out, or pm me.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
OK - here is TMI. Was colonoscopy day - always schedule your colonoscopy first thing in the morning. You can't sleep anyway.
turned out well, and post-prep weight was 177! ok, it is an empty, dehydrated weight, but i'll take it.

if you have any family history of breast or colon cancer, start at 40, otherwise 50. it is painless. you get to fast from anything chewy for a day,
and if there is anything in there, they snip it off, and you are good to go. I got the 'see you in 5 years' - assuming my other stuff doesn't go off-the-rails.

haven't done any long rides, or hard rides. but i did get in some saddle time, and ran around a bit. perhaps the stewart 22.5 is more realistic, but ya never know.
did support for longest day at 6MR - couple different groups traveled to nj from pa to complete the ride - it has potential to be a bigger event - but it is a logistics nightmare.

i had already committed to marshaling the kids triathlon in bernardsville on sunday, so couldn't work the nica race (w1f3 blocked)
i worked a U turn at the end of a downhill. it was crash central. only one kid had to stop, and recover - she was probably 9 or so. took a few minutes,
got back on the bike, and off she went. mentally tough!

i'm going to part-out my anthem- its a 2009, so keep an eye out, or pm me.
Wow, fun stuff...
I need you to stretch the fork to 120mm please. Then I'll take it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom