The Road to Somewhere

image.jpg

Got you bro ??

The worst part was making dinner for my family and then not eating it.
2056BE69-066E-44A9-9DE3-FA1347F12CDA.jpeg

It looks and smelled so good and I had to make my brown slurry drink and choke that down. At least I’m taking the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Serious question; Why can’t you just eat regular food? Maybe I just don’t get it because I’ve never had to worry about my weight like that?

I can. I do these 2 day shake days just to break bad habits and shock my system. It helps me get focused on my goal and makes me appreciate real food after having these shakes. It usually helps drop a few pounds pretty quickly too. I will be eating real food tomorrow and enjoying the hell out of it.

I kinda go through hell at work brtween thanksgiving and the middle of january. Way way too many xmas cookies, holiday lunches, family outings and that’s beer season for me. I’ll typically add on 12-15 lbs and it pisses me off. This year I decided to leave with no breakfast and live off cookies and then steamfresh for lunch. I only tacked on 8 or so lbs. ive always been an eater and still am. It has taken a lot of work when we go out to eat. Guiltless grill at chilis has kept me honest. Good job getting on track.

I kinda go through hell at work brtween thanksgiving and the middle of january. Way way too many xmas cookies, holiday lunches, family outings and that’s beer season for me. I’ll typically add on 12-15 lbs and it pisses me off. This year I decided to leave with no breakfast and live off cookies and then steamfresh for lunch. I only tacked on 8 or so lbs. ive always been an eater and still am. It has taken a lot of work when we go out to eat. Guiltless grill at chilis has kept me honest. Good job getting on track.

Yea its hard and I'm an eater as well. I just like food. I wish I was one of those people who can just eat with a purpose and not really enjoy food. The fall/winter is always hard but race season comes very early! The past couple of seasons I haven't been myself and I want to try extra hard this year to get some fitness back and just feel better being lighter. I have not delusions of being as focused as I was 5-6 years ago. But I want to be able to pedal hard and feel good.

I made it the last two days without any chewable food. I have a Luna bar for breakfast today. I'm sooooo looking forward to that. Plus I have my leftovers from last night for lunch, and then doing some easy low cal turkey tacos for dinner. It feels like Christmas after 2 days of shakes. I should say that I'm not alone with this cleanse/purge idea. My brother has been doing this for years with a lot of success. He does a strange one though. He calls it the Grapefruit Jihad. He eats only grapefruits for 2 days straight and it helps do the same. I probably would have tried that but I hate grapefruit.

My wife ordered something called Huel, which I guess is some type of meal replacement thing. I'd never heard of it, but when I google it the main competitor seems to be Soylent, which I've also never heard of (but good name choice). I assume these are both similar to Isagenix. I don't know how the other two taste, but the chocolate flavored Huel that we got is actually quite good. It's a bit chalky or whatever, but maybe we didn't shake it enough. Maybe I'll try throwing it in the Vitamix to blend it up next time. I can give you a dimebag to try if you are interested.

My wife ordered something called Huel, which I guess is some type of meal replacement thing. I'd never heard of it, but when I google it the main competitor seems to be Soylent, which I've also never heard of (but good name choice). I assume these are both similar to Isagenix. I don't know how the other two taste, but the chocolate flavored Huel that we got is actually quite good. It's a bit chalky or whatever, but maybe we didn't shake it enough. Maybe I'll try throwing it in the Vitamix to blend it up next time. I can give you a dimebag to try if you are interested.

Try blending it up. I usually make my shakes in the nutribullet but the ones I take to work I have to shake by hand and they are much better in the blender. I'd be curious to try the Huel. Funny name though. Doesn't sound as appetizing if you are a fan of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Day #3 almost done and it was great to eat solid food today. I had a headache most of the day either as a result of the low calories or from my son screaming until 2 and barely getting 3 hours of sleep. Thankfully I did get a chance to sneak in a nap today. I found the motivation to hit the trainer as well tonight. I didn't really want to do any efforts but somehow zwift kept sucking me in and I did some decent efforts. It was better than riding the couch for sure.

The dieting thing is pretty crazy as I never know what to expect the next day on the scale. Yes when I'm cutting calories and weight it really helps to see that positive feedback. The things that are absolute killers are the plateaus. Depending on how much weight loss you want there are always a few. I usually drop 5-6 pounds quickly and then either stay the same or gain a little even though I'm still cutting calories. Being persistent helps push through and keep the scale dropping but it's a pretty awful kick in the nuts when you are working so hard for a goal. I'm hopeful tomorrow morning will be a good reward for the past 3 days.

Up next is a frigid early ride tomorrow morning followed by a long steady 4 hour gravel/pavement loop on the MTB.

The weekend was an adventure. I rode early Saturday in the bitter cold but it actually warmed up quite nicely and since I was layered right it was a good ride. The bad part, and I knew this was a good possibility, is that I started the last climb back home and hit the wall hard. I cracked into pieces. I limped home and was so light headed I had to sit down. My head was spinning and my wife actually got me some juice to get some sugar in me to feel better. The calorie defecit works but it does hinder performance, especially starting like I did. I've done this before and I expected it to some extent, but man it hit hard.

I then contemplated if it was even worth heading out Sunday morning for my 4 hour ride, since I felt so crappy at the end of the Saturday ride. But the good side was that I at well after the ride and then went to my in-laws anniversary dinner and had a great pasta/sausage/clam dinner and recharged a bit. I had nothing bad but it was good to get some quality calories in my body instead of the little I've been living on. Feeling better I did go for the Sunday ride.

For Sunday morning I went out with my team and hit a bunch of gravel and pavement around the bedminster/califon area and it was a blast. Quiet roads and some nice scenery made for a great ride. I wasn't feeling super energetic but I made the most of the ride I didn't think I was going to be able to complete. I lagged a bit behind on some of the hills but kept the pedals turning and still putting in the miles to get back that fitness. For me it's funny. I don't have to worry about fitness so much. I have to worry about weight. I feel like the fitness will get there on it's own once the weight is down. I think its the confidence and energy thing that helps out so much. I didn't hit the scale this morning but I will tomorrow to see how the progress is going.

For the time being it's going to be eat clean 1400-1500 calories during the week and eat 2000-2200 calories on the weekend and see how the weight progresses. I feel my energy and focus coming back more. It's only a few more weeks till the racing is going to start firing up so I want to make some progress without shooting myself in the foot again. Every now and then I think it would be so easy to just not GAF and ride for fun but that's not me. At least that's not for me yet.

Setbacks. Well, not really a setback I suppose but just rather annoying. I got on the scale this morning and I'm not happy. All the progress that I have made since focusing on eating clean has had zero benefit in the weight department according to the scale. I know there are setback but damn it's annoying. I've been eating very well, drinking water, working out, and doing what I am supposed to. I feel better, lighter, and have more energy, but the scale doesn't agree. So as I usually do I'm going to ignore it and keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully a few more weeks of consistency will pay off and the weight will drop. It's just annoying in the meantime as it's a great motivator. I just keep thinking if I'm cutting calories and there's no gain why bother. Just eat what I want and be happy and heavy... I must push through.

Setbacks. Well, not really a setback I suppose but just rather annoying. I got on the scale this morning and I'm not happy. All the progress that I have made since focusing on eating clean has had zero benefit in the weight department according to the scale. I know there are setback but damn it's annoying. I've been eating very well, drinking water, working out, and doing what I am supposed to. I feel better, lighter, and have more energy, but the scale doesn't agree. So as I usually do I'm going to ignore it and keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully a few more weeks of consistency will pay off and the weight will drop. It's just annoying in the meantime as it's a great motivator. I just keep thinking if I'm cutting calories and there's no gain why bother. Just eat what I want and be happy and heavy... I must push through.
I did an intetmittent fast after recovery ride plus I huckef a couple deuces and road/ran this morning. I went from 199 after dinner to 193 this morning lol. The real tell tale is what I weigh at bedtime. Jury duty plus cafeteria sucks for me.

The last few days have been a loss. The weather has made life in general tough and not conducive to worry about riding a bike. I'm fighting a battle with keeping the house warm. That's been my main concern the past few days. Waking up at 55 degrees and barely making it to 60 in the evening is a little wearing. Basically my furnace is the original and is working but not well. I'm going to look into replacing it but not yet. I'll wait till the spring when the crews aren't overworked and ready to price gouge. On top of that the heat in my classroom doesn't work so I've been teaching in the upper 50's/low 60's all week which just makes me want to go home and hide under the blankets. I'm writing off this week and hoping next week is better. Temps should be better so riding should resume as normal. I'm trying to fit in a nice long ride somewhere in my schedule as well. Hopefully things will start to look up.

The last few days have been a loss. The weather has made life in general tough and not conducive to worry about riding a bike. I'm fighting a battle with keeping the house warm. That's been my main concern the past few days. Waking up at 55 degrees and barely making it to 60 in the evening is a little wearing. Basically my furnace is the original and is working but not well. I'm going to look into replacing it but not yet. I'll wait till the spring when the crews aren't overworked and ready to price gouge. On top of that the heat in my classroom doesn't work so I've been teaching in the upper 50's/low 60's all week which just makes me want to go home and hide under the blankets. I'm writing off this week and hoping next week is better. Temps should be better so riding should resume as normal. I'm trying to fit in a nice long ride somewhere in my schedule as well. Hopefully things will start to look up.

brr.
what type of heat do you have?

unless there is a breeze blowing through your house, this doesn't seem right.

brr.
what type of heat do you have?

unless there is a breeze blowing through your house, this doesn't seem right.
Hot water baseboard. I know my windows are not the most efficient but I would think it would hold heat better than it does.

Hot water baseboard. I know my windows are not the most efficient but I would think it would hold heat better than it does.

i can't believe your boiler can't make/circulate hot enough water to keep the house warm.

do all the baseboards get hot?
bled the air out of the system (or flushed the air) this year?
does the boiler shut down while the circulator is still running? (if so, something is up with the aquastat if the water isn't over 200, or the circulator)

something is up - age only makes them less fuel efficient than current models, unless something is broken.

also, check if the baseboard fins are clogged with pet hair/dust bunnies (hit with shop vac)

Last edited:
Is the attic insulated? I remember that doing that made a huge and noticeable difference in my first house 38 years ago.

i can't believe your boiler can't make/circulate hot enough water to keep the house warm.

do all the baseboards get hot?
bled the air out of the system (or flushed the air) this year?
does the boiler shut down while the circulator is still running? (if so, something is up with the aquastat if the water isn't over 200, or the circulator)

something is up - age only makes them less fuel efficient than current models, unless something is broken.

also, check if they baseboards are clogged with pet hair/dust bunnies (hit with shop vac)
Agreed there is air stuck in the system. Bleed it out.

Back
Top Bottom