the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.
i'm officially in the plus hardtail club. only one short ride on it so my opinion is still tainted with new bike stoke - hell "just finally having a mountain bike" stoke. so far, first impressions are very good. definitely a big improvement in ride quality. after a few more hours on it i'll do a review.
Welcome! Whatcha get? Pics or it didn't happen!

666 Conde bench IMG_20170910_094028.jpg

Spec 6fattie Stumpjumper FSR Aluminum

Over the first 19 months of ownership, I rode 3,232 miles, plus whatever I didn’t turn the Garmin on for. This qualifies for a long-term review. I originally reviewed it in this thread (see above) on June 16, 2016.

My average ride is halfway between Six Mile and Chimney Rock in technical challenge/rockiness. I also put time in at Sourlands, Jungle, Ringwood, Mooch and other North Jersey parks. My typical year is 400 hours on the bike with about 4,000 miles. I carry an eight-pound Osprey pack most of the time.

The rest of the stable is a Tallboy for dabbling in races and a Fatboy for snow, beach and mud, but I pick the 6fattie most every time I ride.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the 411 mile review in bullets:

Climbs surprisingly well and fast. This is the biggest surprise.

Noticeably faster on the descents because it will handle so much terrain.

Very comfortable in the sense that it is easy on my back during weeks when I ride a lot of miles or a lot of big rock terrain.

I like the dropper on steep descents.

Some lady hiker walking by with her friend said: “Now that’s a trail bike!”

I like the low center of gravity and am learning to lean the bike over more and avoid pedal strikes. Just added the Thomson 150mm dropper to replace the second Spec Command Post and it is smooth like buttah. Replaced the pedals twice. I have destroyed a couple of RDs so far and put some number of new brake pads on.

Dr. Vreeland rebuilt the fork and rear shock last month, which was overdue by six months or 1,000 miles. I replaced the tires twice and am now running the Spec Purgatory 3.0” front (no longer have Vittoria Bomboloni available) and the Maxxis Ikon rear 2.8”. The Nextie Jungle Fox carbon rims have been bombproof. I don’t ride very hard, but I weighed 193 lbs. this morning, so there is some stress on the rims. I mean besides that from being clumsy and falling a lot.

Overall, very happy with this bike and enjoy it every time I ride it.

NUCK TATT review: GOOD BIKE

i'm officially in the plus hardtail club. only one short ride on it so my opinion is still tainted with new bike stoke - hell "just finally having a mountain bike" stoke. so far, first impressions are very good. definitely a big improvement in ride quality. after a few more hours on it i'll do a review.
2nd for pics!

Here it is. I hemmed and hawed about this bike for waaaay too long. My old bike officially died. It was a 26” hardtail. Rear dropouts got all messed up. I like to hang onto my bikes for a while, so I was looking for that next ride that could last a while.

I went to Gary and Chris at @Bike N Gear and after much debate I landed on a Jamis Dragonslayer. It’s a steel 27.5+. Like I said before, I have only spent an hour on it... that said it feels freaking great. I rode over the frozen ruts at Six Mile and barely felt them. It’s a really smooth ride.

A1D549AB-2F65-4C47-AA7E-6C493E826E36.jpeg
1A8A381E-E62E-4296-84EF-7CF70E54BE0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Here it is. I hemmed and hawed about this bike for waaaay too long. My old bike officially died. It was a 26” hardtail. Rear dropouts got all messed up. I like to hang onto my bikes for a while, so I was looking for that next ride that could last a while.

I went to Gary and Chris at @Bike N Gear and after much debate I landed on a Jamis Dragonslayer. It’s a steel 27.5+. Like I said before, I have only spent an hour on it... that said it feels freaking great. I rode over the frozen ruts at Six Mile and barely felt them. It’s a really smooth ride.

View attachment 60349 View attachment 60350
Very nice. I ride a 27.5 dragon and I am wanting for biger tires

View attachment 60335

Spec 6fattie Stumpjumper FSR Aluminum

Over the first 19 months of ownership, I rode 3,232 miles, plus whatever I didn’t turn the Garmin on for. This qualifies for a long-term review. I originally reviewed it in this thread (see above) on June 16, 2016.

My average ride is halfway between Six Mile and Chimney Rock in technical challenge/rockiness. I also put time in at Sourlands, Jungle, Ringwood, Mooch and other North Jersey parks. My typical year is 400 hours on the bike with about 4,000 miles. I carry an eight-pound Osprey pack most of the time.

The rest of the stable is a Tallboy for dabbling in races and a Fatboy for snow, beach and mud, but I pick the 6fattie most every time I ride.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the 411 mile review in bullets:

Climbs surprisingly well and fast. This is the biggest surprise.

Noticeably faster on the descents because it will handle so much terrain.

Very comfortable in the sense that it is easy on my back during weeks when I ride a lot of miles or a lot of big rock terrain.

I like the dropper on steep descents.

Some lady hiker walking by with her friend said: “Now that’s a trail bike!”

I like the low center of gravity and am learning to lean the bike over more and avoid pedal strikes. Just added the Thomson 150mm dropper to replace the second Spec Command Post and it is smooth like buttah. Replaced the pedals twice. I have destroyed a couple of RDs so far and put some number of new brake pads on.

Dr. Vreeland rebuilt the fork and rear shock last month, which was overdue by six months or 1,000 miles. I replaced the tires twice and am now running the Spec Purgatory 3.0” front (no longer have Vittoria Bomboloni available) and the Maxxis Ikon rear 2.8”. The Nextie Jungle Fox carbon rims have been bombproof. I don’t ride very hard, but I weighed 193 lbs. this morning, so there is some stress on the rims. I mean besides that from being clumsy and falling a lot.

Overall, very happy with this bike and enjoy it every time I ride it.

NUCK TATT review: GOOD BIKE

i just rented one for a week and i’m sold

Here's mine...

First little snowfall and since I just got the bike back from my LBS, it is more than likely that this is the cleanest it will ever be. I decided to bust out the good camera and snap some pics in the local patch of woods.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

My guess is that I'm coming at the 27.5+ category from the opposite end of the spectrum as most of the MTB guys in here... Being a roadie, my first foray into the off-road world was in the form of a fat bike, because it just made off-road riding so accessible. There were no shocks or forks to mess with and the humongous tires offered loads of grip to make up for my weak, roadie, off-road skills. I thoroughly enjoyed that bike, but as my skills and confidence grew steadily, I started looking for a bike that was more suited to trail riding I was interested in. Sure the Fatbike was a capable trail rider, but it was a little heavy and a little slow and I thought that I'd enjoy something that I could get a little more rowdy on.
When I jumped to the Fuse 6Fattie, I was little worried that the 3.0" tire might offer noticeably less grip, but so far, I have not found that to be the case. Just as the fat tires did, the 3" tires seem to grip and claw at everything I've thrown at them. Generally speaking, if I keep pedaling, it will keep going. It is a lot more fun on descents.. more agile, etc. The dropper seat post is something I thought I'd get rid of almost immediately, but I'm really growing to like it. Slam that thing down and the bike feels like a giant bmx bike. Having the fork really helps control the run-away bouncing basketball feel that the fat bike had one fast descents with a lot of quick small hits.

Here's mine...

First little snowfall and since I just got the bike back from my LBS, it is more than likely that this is the cleanest it will ever be. I decided to bust out the good camera and snap some pics in the local patch of woods.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

My guess is that I'm coming at the 27.5+ category from the opposite end of the spectrum as most of the MTB guys in here... Being a roadie, my first foray into the off-road world was in the form of a fat bike, because it just made off-road riding so accessible. There were no shocks or forks to mess with and the humongous tires offered loads of grip to make up for my weak, roadie, off-road skills. I thoroughly enjoyed that bike, but as my skills and confidence grew steadily, I started looking for a bike that was more suited to trail riding I was interested in. Sure the Fatbike was a capable trail rider, but it was a little heavy and a little slow and I thought that I'd enjoy something that I could get a little more rowdy on.
When I jumped to the Fuse 6Fattie, I was little worried that the 3.0" tire might offer noticeably less grip, but so far, I have not found that to be the case. Just as the fat tires did, the 3" tires seem to grip and claw at everything I've thrown at them. Generally speaking, if I keep pedaling, it will keep going. It is a lot more fun on descents.. more agile, etc. The dropper seat post is something I thought I'd get rid of almost immediately, but I'm really growing to like it. Slam that thing down and the bike feels like a giant bmx bike. Having the fork really helps control the run-away bouncing basketball feel that the fat bike had one fast descents with a lot of quick small hits.
Sick. Can you take pictures with of my bike!?

Here's mine...

First little snowfall and since I just got the bike back from my LBS, it is more than likely that this is the cleanest it wi

ll ever be. I decided to bust out the good camera and snap some pics in the local patch of woods.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Here's mine...

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

That color is awesome

Was on my radar for awhile now. Demo'd a couple at the Jorba fest and made up my mind it would be the next bike I get. Picked up a 2017 Heller Shagamaw 27.5+ and have been really enjoying it so far.
upload_2017-12-12_12-4-11.jpeg

Just converted to tubeless a couple weeks ago to shave a couple pounds down to ~27 lbs. Ran 18 psi with tubes with no issue and playing around with lower air pressure to find the sweet spot. The 3.0' WTB tires handle the rocks really well with no self steer that the fatty 4.0s have. Will eventually get a lighter bar and may look for a 29" wheel set for the summer. I like a carbon frame that has the ability to run different wheel sets. If I could only have one bike, this would be it.

Was on my radar for awhile now. Demo'd a couple at the Jorba fest and made up my mind it would be the next bike I get. Picked up a 2017 Heller Shagamaw 27.5+ and have been really enjoying it so far.
View attachment 60490
Just converted to tubeless a couple weeks ago to shave a couple pounds down to ~27 lbs. Ran 18 psi with tubes with no issue and playing around with lower air pressure to find the sweet spot. The 3.0' WTB tires handle the rocks really well with no self steer that the fatty 4.0s have. Will eventually get a lighter bar and may look for a 29" wheel set for the summer. I like a carbon frame that has the ability to run different wheel sets. If I could only have one bike, this would be it.

And you made fun of me for driving a white truck? Next time we ride I'm bringing a can of black spray paint.

Seems like no one factors tire flex into things when looking at bb height. One of the reasons I went with the Remedy over the EX+ was I didn't want a super low bb and for me running the lower pressures to take advantage of the plus tire just didn't feel right in some situations.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom