the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So 27.5+ seems to be on the mind of many of late. I thought I might start a dedicated thread to this concept. I am intrigued for sure and I wonder if this will be a fad or something much more.

My take so far is that as a 29er fan I can always run 29" wheels on any 27+ bike, which is cool since you can get 2 totally different rides out of the same frame.

Here is a clip of a recent review of a Jamis 27+ bike:

I am curious how this will play out. Thoughts??

I would most likely go for the Salsa PR if someone had ordered them for their shop when they were available....

Some random thoughts after poking around.
Salsa has iscg05 tabs, so will be able to mount a bash guard. Would prefer Shimano brakes. Has split pivot rear. Can use 2x crankset. Has boost 148 rear. Short chain stays.

Spesh gets dinked for low bottom bracket complaints, (happened to me on a test ride) Also rims on narrow side, and non boost 148 rear, with horst link.

C-dale is out for me due to lefty fork has short steer tube, and do not want to mess with stems. Been there, not doing again.
Also non boost 148.

Scott is a close second, I like the 2.8 tires. Has boost 148 rear. Rear suspension, would prefer split pivot or horst link.

Do I need another bike, current rig is 29er Turner TNT rear. Nicely speced with XT drivetrain and brakes, two wheel sets with flows 2.35 tires, king HD hubs or arches 2.1 tires & king hubs, CC inline rear shock, (blows the stock rp23 away) Reba team fork with 20 mm axle.
So don't really need a bike that can convert to a 29er. Would mainly get the plus to play on at sourlands or other rocky trails.

For now it's sit back and wait until they hit the shops. Maybe there will be more options and parts available to build up a frameset. If the Salsa was available I would buy in a ny minute.

Last edited:
I don't see this madness stopping anytime soon until companies see diluted profits due to the expanded product lines. In the long run it will hurt technology as marketing drivers will steer trends on tire sizes vs really innovative new products.

We're seeing this trend in other industries as well, I've lost count on the number of BMW models and football adds more teams every few years.

At some point we are all going to find our sweet spot tire size and I hope to god it's one that the mfrs pick as well. I'm real happy with 2.1-2.3 26ers at the moment but already anticipate their near future death. For now content watching and demo'ing while the tire wars go through the octagon. Everything now is going bigger, any chance we will see a trend in the opposite direction?

I already bought one well I bought a shitty bike that was labeled B+ but is really a 170mm fat platform. The wheels it came with were about 10 pounds each so I built a new set.

I really like this wheel size and have for a while now and I believe it will become the standard in downhill and enduo in the not so far future. Xc racers and WW will shy away but most will love how this wheel performs. I do believe this will be the size to end 29+.

I will also say it would be better to buy a 5" fatty that can run big fat tires plus B+ plus 29. Now that's how you do one bike over all.

Seriously considering the horsethief C for this reason - assuming it is (as the website says) 29 or 27.5 compatible

27.5+ is the only way I'm ever going to ride a 650b class wheel. Would I go and seek out a 27.5+ n+1 now? If I'm being honest, no I would not.

The most likely thing would be a 27.5+ 2nd wheel set to go on my fatbike for summer use, though I suspect id go for 29+ before 27.5+.

If I destroyed my SS frame, I WOULD go 27.5+ Rigid SS because of where and how I like to ride my SS.

Last edited:
I would most likely go for the Salsa PR if someone had ordered them for their shop when they were available....

Some random thoughts after poking around.
Salsa has iscg05 tabs, so will be able to mount a bash guard. Would prefer Shimano brakes. Has split pivot rear. Can use 2x crankset. Has boost 148 rear. Short chain stays.

Spesh gets dinked for low bottom bracket complaints, (happened to me on a test ride) Also rims on narrow side, and non boost 148 rear, with horst link.

C-dale is out for me due to lefty fork has short steer tube, and do not want to mess with stems. Been there, not doing again.
Also non boost 148.

Scott is a close second, I like the 2.8 tires. Has boost 148 rear. Rear suspension, would prefer split pivot or horst link.

Do I need another bike, current rig is 29er Turner TNT rear. Nicely speced with XT drivetrain and brakes, two wheel sets with flows 2.35 tires, king HD hubs or arches 2.1 tires & king hubs, CC inline rear shock, (blows the stock rp23 away) Reba team fork with 20 mm axle.
So don't really need a bike that can convert to a 29er. Would mainly get the plus to play on at sourlands or other rocky trails.

For now it's sit back and wait until they hit the shops. Maybe there will be more options and parts available to build up a frameset. If the Salsa was available I would buy in a ny minute.

I will be meeting with salsa again shortly, confirm the size and model and I will make a push for allocation on one. I have already been told no, but it has worked before if I tell them it is a sold unit.

I think you are after an xl. The head tube is varied in the new bikes and the c-dale is actually longer.
image.jpg
image.jpg

If I had the funds, 27.5+ would 100% be on the radar. I don't think I can commit to the full fat train unless I got a 20lber, but I also don't have $10,000 or whatever something like that would go for. I think 27.5+ would be a perfect medium since it has about the same outer diameter as a 29er with more grip, less rolling resistance and weight than a *fatty, and although I don't do it much... provides a bit more snow capability over what I have now.

*Not a super expensive fatty.

Only on my fantasy radar. If I had the funds available, I'd be very interested in a 27.5 FS, like a 5" trail bike.

Ain't likely to ever happen, though.

i'm kinda confused by 27.5+. so this set up is sorta like me riding my DH tires on my 26"? that's what i use now - a 2.5 or something like that. heavy, but it works and i don't flat running lower pressures (with tubes), and i'm a cheap bastard so what's on the bike is what stays until its broke.

but with the 27.5, i feel like with bikes you gotta go all in; go fat if you are going fat, cross country ride a race bike - being between doesn't work for me. otherwise the differences in ride just aren't noticeable enough to make it worth the investment. just my $0.02.

jdog, sign me up for an XL GX 2X10 hopefully with an uncut steertube.
I did some gear calculation , and the 1x just don't have a low enough granny for me to haul those tires up a steep hill.

No interest in 27.5+ If I was planning on going fat and riding in the snow - I'd go with a 5" tired fat bike to get the job done. For regular XC style, I've decided to stick with 29er with 2.0 - 2.25 max.

I recently saw the Specialized 6Fattie and think it looks like a winner. 27.5 with 3.0 tires, with front shock or front rigid. But For me, I don't think the 27.5+ would be an option unless I got it to replace my 29er. I think that 27.5+ could be nice for people having just a single mtb, and perhaps for those whom racing is not a priority. Although perhaps having a 29er wheel set for racing would be an option.

I have a full suspension 29er and it would be great if I could fit 27.5+ tires on it. But I think the widest that will fit is 2.35, but it's gonna be tight. If I am keeping the 29er, then I should go full fat. It seems that many of the fat bike riders I have spoken with say they want even wider tires like 4.5+ or 5+.

I think the 29+ could be cool too, unless it is only offered by Trek and no other mfrs, in which case it might not survive very long.

27.5+ is probably the ultimate summer time chimney rock bike. loose over hard pack!
or if my wife every wants a bike I'd probably do a 26+ or 27.5+ because it offers really nice stability and confidence.

Back
Top Bottom