the NOT SO official 27.5+ thread.

27+??

• On my radar!!

• No clue?

• NOT ANOTHER WHEEEEEEEL SIZE!!!

• 26 forever! This is just aploy to sell more bikes!

• Full fatty only

• I quit riding and just troll

• 29 4-eva

• 27.5 regular /non-plus

Results are only viewable after voting.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yep, challenging the retiree to a race will certainly prove how frivolous the purchase of a component that is universally acknowledged as the single best (non-disposable) place to spend your upgrade dollars (lighter/stiffer). o_O I'm sure there's no way he'll feel the difference climbing the switchbacks at chimney.... You know, lower rotational mass at low speed'n all.:rolleyes:

How bout youz two arm wrestle to settle it?:p
Rick question Mercer as not being mountain biking so since he is a mtber and I am not, I guess he will have no problem keeping up.

I am not saying they aren't better....but I highly doubt we are noticing the rotational weight on and uphill switchback.

On topic, Rick, since you are concerned with looks, check the Easton Arc line of rims, solid performers for the $$ and come in wide widths. I have the 27.5 27's and have been happy with them.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Rick question Mercer as not being mountain biking so since he is a mtber and I am not, I guess he will have no problem keeping up.

I believe @rick81721 was just providing an in kind jibe. ;)

I am not saying they aren't better....but I highly doubt we are noticing the rotational weight on and uphill switchback.

Speaking as both "a slow moving vehicle" and and as one who actually has upgraded to carbon hoops on all of his mountain bikes I can assure you, the difference is in a word, profound.

Will they make him faster? Don't know, don't care. Will he enjoy his bike even more? I'm pretty confident he will.

Lastly, remind us all what the "C" in your Dura-Ace c24's stands for again? :rolleyes:

Full disclosure: I own both the C24 and C35's so I'm well aware that they are actually a carbon/aluminum laminate. The reason I went with them rather than full carbon is because I don't trust a carbon brake track to hold up to the inertia forces I generate.

rick81721

Lothar
Yep, challenging the retiree to a race will certainly prove how frivolous the purchase of a component that is universally acknowledged as the single best (non-disposable) place to spend your upgrade dollars (lighter/stiffer). o_O I'm sure there's no way he'll feel the difference climbing the switchbacks at chimney.... You know, lower rotational mass at low speed'n all.:rolleyes:

How bout youz two arm wrestle to settle it?:p

Haha yeah a guy 20 years younger than me and with 20 years more riding experience is faster than me - oh the horror :rolleyes:

I'll give @stb222 the standard challenge: sourland mountain preserve, entire white trail counter-clockwise. Ride any bike, I'll run it. See who gets to the pond first :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Haha yeah a guy 20 years younger than me and with 20 years more riding experience is faster than me - oh the horror :rolleyes:

I'll give @stb222 the standard challenge: sourland mountain preserve, entire white trail counter-clockwise. Ride any bike, I'll run it. See who gets to the pond first :)
Ok, we will do SMP and then the full loop at 6 mile, lowest time wins.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@stb222 has already deemed that climb the toughest tech climb in nj. you might be in trouble once he gets to the top tho - cause he ain't putting his foot down after the boulders.....

will make a good match tho.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Ok, we will do SMP and then the full loop at 6 mile, lowest time wins.

btchplz.gif

Enough of this nonsense, it's too beautiful out. Going for a nice, slooooowwww ride

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
On China Carbon. I can vouche for Nextie and Light-Bicycle, their stuff is bombproof. I've built over 1,000 Nextie wheels and have only had 2 failures, both user related. As a direct opposite to that, I've done a dozen HED Big Deals and have had 100% failure rate. We've probably done 2 dozen ENVE wheelsets, obviously they're the benchmark for carbon wheels. If you have the coin you won't be disappointed. I've owned 3 pairs myself.

20170118_154717.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
On China Carbon. I can vouche for Nextie and Light-Bicycle, their stuff is bombproof. I've built over 1,000 Nextie wheels and have only had 2 failures, both user related. As a direct opposite to that, I've done a dozen HED Big Deals and have had 100% failure rate. We've probably done 2 dozen ENVE wheelsets, obviously they're the benchmark for carbon wheels. If you have the coin you won't be disappointed. I've owned 3 pairs myself.

View attachment 50045
Does this translate to under 30mm rims or does the increased width / surface area of the wider rims allow them to be that much stronger?

@UtahJoe had mention he took the Valors off for training because he didn't want to damage a rim, so makes me wonder

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

View attachment 50045

Only issue I’m seeing with Nextie and Lite Bicycle is that weight wise, they’re within 15g of their aluminum counterparts, such as ARC 27’s or Flows. In the case of Lite Bicycle, they’re heavier vs. aluminum. Even the Enve’s are within 15-20g. Personally think it’s more important to have good hubs.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Only issue I’m seeing with Nextie and Lite Bicycle is that weight wise, they’re within 15g of their aluminum counterparts, such as ARC 27’s or Flows. In the case of Lite Bicycle, they’re heavier vs. aluminum. Even the Enve’s are within 15-20g. Personally think it’s more important to have good hubs.

I mean, I'm running Blunt35s on my personal bike because they're lighter than carbon and I can hit rocks, hard.

Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom