The Long Road Back

I feel pretty good today. I was very thankful that I was smart and actually stayed over and didn't try to do the Bearscat double. I felt ok the day after so maybe I'll aim for that again next year.

Rothrock Trail Mix is up next. I already started to do some research on that course and remember what it was like. I remember what it was like as I did it in 2015 as I had hit the wall for the last 15 miles. Then @pearl out-sprinted me to the finish. I hope to have a better go at it this time, but then I remember how nasty the John Wert trail is and am hoping to get through that a bit better than wanting to pitch my bike into the woods and hitchhike back to the start.

Good luck. We didn't get to do John Wert at TSEpic last week. Rain course in effect during Tussey stage.

I'm doing some more recon now to help remind me what the course is like. Looks like 5 decent climbs. On paper it looks good I just hope the legs can feel better in time. It's a few days after the 100 and I'm still beat. I'm going to try to roll easy on the trainer tonight and see if that brings some life back. I'm hoping last weekend and this weekend will all settle in so I can go really hard at Lewis Morris. I'm also trying to cut some more weight again in the next few weeks so I'm in the high 150's for wilderness which is 8 weeks away. I've been hanging in the mid to upper 160's which has been good but high 159's would be much better when going up.

Look at your thread title and your first post, you couldn't see that in rear view mirror at the great salt flats.

Amazing how time out is shorter then the when it's handed down.

Go get em Ryan

That was a great event. I will be wishing I was pedaling with you and the guy with no shirt for the finish.

I always think the second time is always easier since you know what to expect. Plus you're killing it right now, all the mojo is going in the right way.

Look at your thread title and your first post, you couldn't see that in rear view mirror at the great salt flats.

Amazing how time out is shorter then the when it's handed down.

Go get em Ryan

Thanks man! You're right I went back and reread my first post and although I'm not where I want to be yet I'm getting close. Certainly closer than I ever thought possible 4 months ago. Progress is promising. I'm still hopeful that there's more to come. It's tough juggling life but it's paying off.

That was a great event. I will be wishing I was pedaling with you and the guy with no shirt for the finish.

I always think the second time is always easier since you know what to expect. Plus you're killing it right now, all the mojo is going in the right way.

I forgot about the guy with no shirt. I agree. I looked at the course map and I vaguely remember a bunch of it. At least I know it's all doable and this time it shouldn't rain the entire time. And hopefully I won't get stung by a bee on the first climb like I did in 2015. And of course...at least I know John Wert is coming. I had no idea that trail existed before I rode the race last time. I'm prepared for it this year.

Man I would love to do that race but no way is Wifey letting me out of state two weeks in a row. I may do Kitt endurance instead.

Hey @xc62701 , I see you at the end of this video sucking down a brewski...is that going to get you where you want to be?lol
I mean, it doesn't matter that you just rode a hundy...haha. I hope you had some pizza too...I know thats what this is all about anyway:)

Hey @xc62701 , I see you at the end of this video sucking down a brewski...is that going to get you where you want to be?lol
I mean, it doesn't matter that you just rode a hundy...haha. I hope you had some pizza too...I know thats what this is all about anyway:)

Why yes that is! My riding wasn't documented but my drinking was ;)

Holy crap. Rothrock was tough as I thought it might be. Here's a quick recap. Started off pretty good but a bit blah. Climbing well, riding rocks well, descending awesome! Too awesome - FLAT! Lost 8 minutes and got back in it. Had to burn some matches to get back through people and fell apart. Salvaged what I could. Avoided a pissed off rattlesnake. Cramped. Almost ran out of water. Survived John Wert trail and rode much more than last time. Finished in 4:00. 12th in open men. Tired and glad to have this one in the books. Saw shirtless dood again. Missed @pearl and @jShort this time around.

Racing has been going well. I'd say MUCH better than expected. I have raced every weekend for the last 4 weeks. That's pretty brutal, so it's time to relax a bit, train, and recover. I'm looking at skipping LM and probably hitting one more race later on before the Wilderness. I want to hit the wilderness hard. If I do this right I should be back in the 7's there which would be awesome. I hit the road bike yesterday and it's been a long time since I threw a leg over that bike. It was a blast. I need to get out and hit the backtpads a whole bunch more this summer. My work ends June 23rd so I'll be back to riding mornings and lots of side projects. I'll be able to do long midweek rides and hopefully really get the engine firing.

Lewis Morris is on the horizon. I'm still not recovered from the Mohican 100 and the Rothrock Trail Mix but I'm getting there. I'm using this and the next few weeks to get me primed and ready for the Wilderness 101. In order to make this weekend's race more of an endurance event, I'm going to do both the Cat1 race and the fatbike event to really torture myself. Last year I was dead last in the Cat1 and I was 5th in the fatbike race. Lets see if I can best both of those finishes this year. That is if my fatbike ever gets finished. It's been in the shop for a bit getting a facelift. I should have it back this week. Just in case I have a loaner lined up so either way I'm in for both. It'll be blazing fast if it's dry so I kinda hope it's wet on race day to make it more challenging :)

This weekend does look promising. Good news is the fatty is back! That and I dropped off my epic to get ready for LM this weekend. I am working out a fork swap so I have a fork with a lockout for those sprinty bits. The brain fork is nice but I really miss the remote lockout. That will be fixed shortly.

On the weight side of things I was good last week but life and the end of the school year have left me eating more than I should. Things are still holding in the mid to upper 160's which is awesome but I REALLY want to get into the high 150's for Wilderness. That will take some effort and discipline but it should be doable. There is 5 weeks left to drop 8 pounds. It's manageable.

I do have to say I attained another amazing goal. Since losing 30 lbs this year I did it concurrently with eating a 6.6 lb tub of Nutella. I'm not quite sure how that worked but man that stuff is good. Maybe that's why I'm having trouble shedding a few more pounds. Well that and I don't want to drop too much and suffer a performance loss.
Fatty.jpg

sorry i did not reply to your recent recaps, but hearing that no shirt guy is still out and ripping ST is inspiring.

your weight loss is interesting, the scale says i have gained weight but my pant size is still the same. maybe i got some quadz? still cant get focused enough to eat healthy EVERY single meal...

Back
Top Bottom