The "Like" Button is ruining the community.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I just went through a couple of my old blogs for some good feels and the amount of dialog users had back and forth was amazing. The amount of questions and curiosity of the users. This does not happen anymore. Is it because the community is not growing anymore? I don't think so. I blame mobile phones too. We have touched on that. No one replies, they just hit the "like" button and move on.

For example, I saw the Short Track results and saw how Utah finished around 2pm. I wanted to see how he did, so I started digging in my recent posts to find his blog. I noticed he posted his recap at 9:46am, no replies, but 10 total likes. Back in the day that would have been 10 replies, even if its just a "good job boy" or something.

Maybe it is because we are communicating differently. Are we talking more off the forum now? Text, email, smoke signals, etc?

I get that time is short, maybe you're reading on your bathroom break or something, but people want to hear from you and know you are reading. Do not hide behind the like button!

Atta boy! Good post and good content. Food for thought. I realize I am guilty of "liking" posts and not providing written feedback.

Is this thread an attempt to beat Norm for most likes?:p

I do kind of agree with you, but the likes to also have a plus side. At the beginning of the 'like' system though, it seemed like people weren't liking anything. Giving a like meant being one like behind in the race to the top... if that was the reason. Maybe people just didn't know what it was. Within a few months though, it settled in as part of the forum. You can show appreciation for something like Jim's Alaska adventure without bombarding the thread with 4 pages of congratulations between his awesome posts. Same goes for the guys with race recap threads; It'll be a bit easier to go back through as the OP to read through your own progress.

This is, of course, not saying that people shouldn't post. Content is good! Sharing is caring!

This coming from a person who says i don't "like" enough on Strava.

The like button addresses what you are saying with the "good job bro" posts, because really, those posts are the same thing. No one needs to see the "good job" posts unless then have other content.

I like the like system because I think about something I want to comment on, go to write it and then am like - Meh, it's easier to just click like.

It's safe for the reader while showing the poster that you've acknowledged and read it. Kind of like a "read receipt"

Don't know what to say so I like instead. Most of my post are like 10 words or less anyway so LIKE sums it up. Accept your LIKES and feel good about them.

tumblr_lmxlvgLp4T1qjva3ko1_r1_500.gif

I like the like system because I think about something I want to comment on, go to write it and then am like - Meh, it's easier to just click like.

It's safe for the reader while showing the poster that you've acknowledged and read it. Kind of like a "read receipt"
This is exactly what is killing the Internets. A bunch of safe, bland content. It has morphed into this for a bunch of reasons but that doesn't mean we can't do something about it. My message to the masses is say what is on your mind.

Also I bailed on Instagram. It became a chore to scroll through my feed and Like shit. FB blow these days too, I do check in with it and post the occasional selfie but honestly if FB went away tomorrow we would all be better off.

MTBNJ is the most worthwhile place for me to post these days, it involves real people(most people I actually see in person and talk to), doing the kinda shit I like to do.

Put away the smart phone, sit down in front of your keyboard computer and write something. Don't scroll through life as a passive bystander.

This is exactly what is killing the Internets. A bunch of safe, bland content. It has morphed into this for a bunch of reasons but that doesn't mean we can't do something about it. My message to the masses is say what is on your mind.

Also I bailed on Instagram. It became a chore to scroll through my feed and Like shit. FB blow these days too, I do check in with it and post the occasional selfie but honestly if FB went away tomorrow we would all be better off.

MTBNJ is the most worthwhile place for me to post these days, it involves real people(most people I actually see in person and talk to), doing the kinda shit I like to do.

Put away the smart phone, sit down in front of your keyboard computer and write something. Don't scroll through life as a passive bystander.
Has anyone showed you that you can type on your smartphone?

I can appreciate where @pearl is coming from. Some really funny post hijacks have grown out of quickly typed responses, that perhaps, did not come across as intended. We lose some of those with the like button. But, three tabs of "nice", "good job" and of course the good old :) (I'm most guilty of this one) is not exactly ideal either.o_O

Back
Top Bottom