The "Like" Button is ruining the community.

People are conditioned to the bare minimum now: news is always sound bytes, stories break in 140 characters on Twitter, social media's entire feedback loop is built on the concept of a like button, and big data is being used to customize every banner ad you see to your personal interests. There is no room for contemplation or engagement in that design because it's all about instant feedback. It's everywhere (check out Slate.com, for example -- they tag every article they post with an estimate of how quickly you can read it.) Everything is designed toward the minimum possible engagement. And that can be good, bad or both ...

Good: no longer having to sift through pages of sh*t to find the thing you want to buy because your buying habits in the past help to filter to your most likely interests.

Bad: your example here if you are looking for actual human feedback.

Both: you can now link to many people with common interests you may have never had a chance to meet in the past, bute with that comes a good chance that you've never actually met many of the people you will identify as "friends" on social media (so that arguably the very social nature of our species is being reduced to its bare minimum.)

But it's the design of the times and chances are removing that "like" button would be more likely to kill any interaction now because people are conditioned by all their other online activity to simply react with a button click. If you ask more of them, you may find that they're not willing to put in that effort or (worse) they don't know how to react in that way anymore.

Personally, I'm with you that it's a shame, but I don't know if I would say the like button on this site is the culprit. I think the mindset behind the "gimme it now" phenomenon of online life in general is why that button is actually necessary now if you want any kind of reaction. I read most of my news online now and I've found the same thought process infecting articles online. In fact, it's gotten to the point where we actually separate the very locations of involved journalism from the "bare minimum" sound byte articles. For example, if you want to read a long form opinion or article about something nowadays, you have to go to a site that is literally called "longform". That;s kind of funny and a little bit sad when you think about it - chances are that's necessary because those kind of articles are like vintage record stores and brick and mortar book stores: surviving almost exclusively for a subset of the population driven by the nostalgia of what they used to represent.

I used to enjoy some back and forth, now I always feel like I'm just talking to myself. That's why I barely post in my thread. The same 3 people will press "like" here, Instagram, and Facebook.

I like the like button...

-Many times I simply can't think of anything constructive to add
-Someone may have already asked the question i would have asked
-Im at work or on the run and Im too busy to think of some sort of response and type it out.

By hitting the like button, it lets the author know that I was there, read the post and appreciated it in some way. Otherwise, how would you know that you reached me at all?

I like the like button...

-Many times I simply can't think of anything constructive to add
-Someone may have already asked the question i would have asked
-Im at work or on the run and Im too busy to think of some sort of response and type it out.

By hitting the like button, it lets the author know that I was there, read the post and appreciated it in some way. Otherwise, how would you know that you reached me at all?

I like this.

This is exactly what is killing the Internets. A bunch of safe, bland content. It has morphed into this for a bunch of reasons but that doesn't mean we can't do something about it. My message to the masses is say what is on your mind.

Also I bailed on Instagram. It became a chore to scroll through my feed and Like shit. FB blow these days too, I do check in with it and post the occasional selfie but honestly if FB went away tomorrow we would all be better off.

MTBNJ is the most worthwhile place for me to post these days, it involves real people(most people I actually see in person and talk to), doing the kinda shit I like to do.

Put away the smart phone, sit down in front of your keyboard computer and write something. Don't scroll through life as a passive bystander.

You can connect your IG account to your Tinder account so there is that.

I bailed on twitter months ago and believe it or not, I feel much better. I am not sure what was weighing me down about it.. but I sure don't miss the dooshy tweets. Everyone thinks they are so clever when they are not remotely so.

At work we use task management software called http://getflow.com. Getflow has recently integrated like buttons on to everything. It's actually super useful as it lets me know that a crucial person on my team read and understood something I may have posted without cluttering up the thread with useless "thank you's" or "ok". It's just an unwritten rule that every time we read something, we 'like' it simply to acknowledge that everyone is on the same page.

it was high 60s today,
not raining,
not sub-carbon compat temps

wfh blues?

Good topic!

I don't like Cannondale
I don't like Specialize
I don't like miller or wieser
I don't like cross
I don't like lazy
I don't like being told what to do
I don't like yapping dogs
I don't like route 80
I don't like certain people
I mostly don't like work because it's over rated
I don't like that I was born not a trust fund baby
I don't like the fatness I gained
I don't like not having more me time

I think of more later

oh crap - i hit like....i mean to say.....

i-dont-get-it-where-are-the-pictures.jpg

I was working on the tan lines the last two days, coming in nicely actually
How far are you from the beaches yo. If its more then an hour you are going to have to buy a beach house for the wknds.
Do peoples in NC go DOWN THE SHORE.

How far are you from the beaches yo. If its more then an hour you are going to have to buy a beach house for the wknds.
Do peoples in NC go DOWN THE SHORE.

they have a lake the size of NJ at the end of the road.

I'm with what Capers said.
Pre-like days, I'd read a cool post/thread and then just move on rather than litter the thread with "Cool story bro…"

So, for me it's not reducing content, but providing positive feedback for those that do.

Back
Top Bottom