The "Like" Button is ruining the community.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have. It sucks a monkey dick, but I have.
Smartphones are ideal for scanning the internets, not ideal for typing. There is something to be said for sitting down in a chair, gathering your thoughts and writing.

Mountain Bike Mike

Smartphones are ideal for scanning the internets, not ideal for typing. There is something to be said for sitting down in a chair, gathering your thoughts and writing.

You're post sounds so old... - that is the something to be said - that was my one thought while sitting down in a chair, gathering my thoughts and writing. :D

I'm just playing - you're only like 100 years old now and can still whip my ass on a bike.

Hey - does the 50+ Cat 1 class give a Senior discount? - That was another thought just popped into my head as I sit here gathering my thoughts and writing..

I just finished watching all 5 segments of @jShort ST#1 race. What memory card did you get for the go-pro and is that a standard bar mount? I was thinking about the chesty until I watched your videos - came out really good with very little vibration and noise.

RobW

I read this without liking it. I wanted to think about this more as you've mentioned (to) MANY different things. I feel that the "like" button is like an "lol" or "I'm picking up what you're putting down" sort of thing. Is it Ruining the community? ehhhh- that's a reach. However, people may keep their opinion to themselves to avoid having to respond again....also, there are plenty of people here who get off (somehow) by stirring the pot which will in turn.......you guessed it... ruin the community in some way shape or form and that may keep people from responding as well. just a thought

Johnny Utah

I just went through a couple of my old blogs for some good feels and the amount of dialog users had back and forth was amazing. The amount of questions and curiosity of the users. This does not happen anymore. Is it because the community is not growing anymore? I don't think so. I blame mobile phones too. We have touched on that. No one replies, they just hit the "like" button and move on.

For example, I saw the Short Track results and saw how Utah finished around 2pm. I wanted to see how he did, so I started digging in my recent posts to find his blog. I noticed he posted his recap at 9:46am, no replies, but 10 total likes. Back in the day that would have been 10 replies, even if its just a "good job boy" or something.

Maybe it is because we are communicating differently. Are we talking more off the forum now? Text, email, smoke signals, etc?

I get that time is short, maybe you're reading on your bathroom break or something, but people want to hear from you and know you are reading. Do not hide behind the like button!
Beyond liking this, I thought I would add a "old school" "text" type post. well said.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
also, there are plenty of people here who get off (somehow) by stirring the pot which will in turn.......you guessed it... ruin the community in some way shape or form and that may keep people from responding as well. just a thought
We could also all turn into robots and only respond to what we think the majority will like.

Have you every been to Irvine, CA? I think you may like it there.

tumblr_lff6ogy8l51qabe6g.jpg

Last edited:

RobW

We could also all turn into robots and only respond to what we think the majority will like.

Have you every been to Irvine, CA? I think you may like it there.

tumblr_lff6ogy8l51qabe6g.jpg

I aee I attracted the right response. WTG kev

walter

Fourth Party
I blame the whole political correctness movement. You're not allowed to not like things, because then people get offended and feelings get hurt, then shit like this happens.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I aee I attracted the right response. WTG kev
Yes, I know what you were doing.

The point is, a community takes the good with the bad and different peoples perception of such can be vastly different. Without different type of people and viewpoints, the world would be an extremely boring place. Challenging the establishment, the norm (haha), makes things real, because otherwise, we just turn into a bunch of likers.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I blame cyclocross.

The "like" button falls somewhere between a fart and a grunt on continuum of human language. Both of those things have value in our language system, but complex language is what separates us from the chimpanzees and the birds and the aardvarks. I propose a needlessly complex system in which we eliminate the "like" button and in its place we add a "fart" button (to show disapproval), a "grunt" button (to show moderate approval), and a "woohoo" button (to show elation). Users will earn one point for each grammatically correct sentence they write on the forum and can cash these points in for fart/grunt/woohoo button clicks at the rate of 1 point per click.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pearl what would happen in many blog posts is that people would just post nothing...now at least with the like button you feel like "cool, someone spent a minute and read this nonsense"

That said, I enjoy when someone asks a question or has a comment about what was posted.

RobW

Yes, I know what you were doing.

The point is, a community takes the good with the bad and different peoples perception of such can be vastly different. Without different type of people and viewpoints, the world would be an extremely boring place. Challenging the establishment, the norm (haha), makes things real, because otherwise, we just turn into a bunch of likers.
Ahhh- a breakthrough!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And also...I know everyone loves talking about the free speech and how we should be able to call anyone and everyone around here an asshole..and who cares if people get offended, F them, etc....Only problem is, you then turn this place into what it used to be...a complete ghost town of 8 people making dick jokes all day.

I blame cyclocross.

The "like" button falls somewhere between a fart and a grunt on continuum of human language. Both of those things have value in our language system, but complex language is what separates us from the chimpanzees and the birds and the aardvarks. I propose a needlessly complex system in which we eliminate the "like" button and in its place we add a "fart" button (to show disapproval), a "grunt" button (to show moderate approval), and a "woohoo" button (to show elation). Users will earn one point for each grammatically correct sentence they write on the forum and can cash these points in for fart/grunt/woohoo button clicks at the rate of 1 point per click.

I liked your post, I would give it a woohoo if that option was available.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I blame cyclocross.

yes! why even use words to communicate, we can just have three colored signs that let people know what we think about each post lol

That said, I enjoy when someone asks a question or has a comment about what was posted.
I guess that is why I always liked to share what I wrote about here. I enjoyed hearing what people had to say, or question things, or wonder why, how, etc. I know not everyone has the same view on what they share and why they do it, I get it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like buttons aren't enough anymore. Now you need buttons for love, haha, wow, sad, angry, pooping, etc.

Mountain Bike Mike

I blame the whole political correctness movement. You're not allowed to not like things, because then people get offended and feelings get hurt, then shit like this happens.

I agree and I am offended by your response... But keep liking them chicks in latex on Facebook. That's the good offended...

Mountain Bike Mike

I blame cyclocross.

I can totally tell you were sitting in a chair, thinking and writing this.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jon Lovitz for the 21st century: I just want to be liked. Is that so wrong?

We are sensitive beings who need constant social validation. But, we are also data-driven beings who crave a means by which to quantify that social worth. Back in the caveman days (i.e. the 1970's), adult male humans measured social validation by the amount of "ass they scored" (in the parlance of the times, of course....not my words). Today we count "likes."

Top Bottom