The IPA Thread

SS_Dave

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery beer is great. I recently tried the Nut Brown Ale and it was outstanding, so I had to try their IPA.

Samuel Smiths Organic IPA(yum)

*Also check out my friend's website*
www.extendedpints.com

Great thread. IPA rocks.

Avoid Cricket Hill IPA. It comes from nearby Fairfield, NJ so I figured I would give it a try when I saw it in the store. I had high hopes but it did not deliver. Is inexpensive for an IPA and drinkable but not good.

DogFish Head 60 Minute is one of my favorites. The 90 Minute is great too but expensive.

Sierra Nevada IPA is only so-so. Not a very complex or interesting flavor.

I'm looking forward to some more suggestions from this thread :)

Terrapin IPA Hopsecutioner is great for getting the taste of mud out of your mouth. This was on tap post race at SS-A-Palooza. I like.

Southern Tier....nuf said. Stone as a close second. Clean, ballanced, properly hopped and the right mix of malts. Just too yummy. I've sampled my share of PA's and IPA's, and I just keep going back to Southern Tier.

I had Cricket yesterday and I liked it, not 60minute of course but not many are.
The NEW Buyrite liquers on rt22 in NPLFD next to Guertrude Hawk has a great IPA selection and is now selling Growlers with great beers on tap including IPA's!

Great thread. IPA rocks.

Avoid Cricket Hill IPA. It comes from nearby Fairfield, NJ so I figured I would give it a try when I saw it in the store. I had high hopes but it did not deliver. Is inexpensive for an IPA and drinkable but not good.

DogFish Head 60 Minute is one of my favorites. The 90 Minute is great too but expensive.

Sierra Nevada IPA is only so-so. Not a very complex or interesting flavor.

Southern Tier....nuf said. Stone as a close second. Clean, ballanced, properly hopped and the right mix of malts. Just too yummy. I've sampled my share of PA's and IPA's, and I just keep going back to Southern Tier.

Tried Southern Tier 2xIPA...totally unimpressed...

my favorite IPAs (not necessarily in order)...

* Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
* Dogfish Head Aprihop
* Smuttynose
* Terrapin Hopsecutioner
* Dogfish Head 60 Minute
* Stone IPA

A super-hopped IPA without interesting flavor is a waste of time IMHO. So, all the above are packed with flavor (although all will still taste quite bitter to the uninitiated). The Weyerbacher is a double IPA but the Simcoe hops they use were "engineered" for max. flavor with less of the oils that cause hops to be bitter. The Aprihop is like MagicHat #9 but better (stronger). The Smuttynose, Dogish 60 and Hopsecutioner are similar in flavor. The Smuttynose in particular has a grapefuity thing going on.

also very good...

* Lagunitas IPA
* Harpoon Leviation Imperial IPA

Magic Hat also makes a couple interesting IPAs.

IMHO, Cricket Hill was undrinkable sh#t. Can honestly say that it is the only IPA that I ever stopped drinking and poored down the drain.

Last edited:
I've drank a lot of PA's and IPA's...here's some that haven't been mentioned that are worth trying...
Canned IPA: Sly Fox IPA out of Phoenixville, PA. It's our river running ale of choice. Dales PA(dryer) and Brew Free or Die IPA(maltier) are also available in cans, but Sly Fox is our choice.

Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA and their red IPA Hop Head Red, good stuff, worth a six or two.

Stone's Arrogant Bastard...my desert island beer, kinda falls outside what american IPA's have become, thought of as a belgian IPA....more malty, very tasty.

Northern Lights Brewing IPA...really good, very hard to find.

since we're on the topic of IPAs, if you haven't had the sam adams latitude 48 you're doing yourself a major disservice.

i'm a IPA wh0re so i've drank lots of them...forgotten most except a few. the terrapin hopsecutioner is excellent as is the sierra nevada torpedo. magic hat's HIPA was one of my favorite ever.

i was in boonton on easter sunday and saw that terrapin had an imperial rye pale ale. i love their rye and was tempted to buy it...except that i already had $60 worth of beer in my basket so i passed. next time i'm there though, i will be picking it up. and on that note, if you haven't been to the liquor outlet in boonton you're just wrong.

Victory makes a couple of good IPAs -- Hop Wallop and Hop Devil -- but I wouldn't really know much about whether they're really high quality or not because I'm not a huge IPA drinker. It's more of a "meal beer" to me, where I tend to pair it with specific foods (usually anything with tomato/tomato sauce because the bitterness is offset by the acidity.)

I had a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA last night. I would put it on the short list of good IPAs...and that was before I read it was 7% ABV.

scored at (where else?) liquor outlet in boonton.

Not an IPA, but worth mention is Dale's Pale Ale. Comes in cans, great ale.

Dale's rules! Just had one (two) a minute a go. They make another called Gubna, 10% al and all the hops ya can handle. two cans and your flat on your ass smilin:D

Dale's rules! Just had one (two) a minute a go. They make another called Gubna, 10% al and all the hops ya can handle. two cans and your flat on your ass smilin:D

:hmmm: Sounds interesting. Must go find some

Tried Southern Tier 2xIPA...totally unimpressed...

I also just tried southern tier 2XIPA this weekend and was not very impressed. Seemed a little too clear and bland. It was definitely hoppy, but was lacking something. I prefer more of the west coast style IPA's like stone and green flash. They have more of a cloudy appearance in a glass and much more aromatic.

Have you guys sampled some dark IPAs? I'm loving this relatively new style. Sublimely Self Righteous by Stone is awesome as is Souther Tier's Iniquity.

Back
Top Bottom