The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

I use one of these in front of my trainer.

010D2807-FAEF-42BB-A98F-C4782C744922.jpeg

It’s huge (18.4 inch) android tablet which is super convenient because I got Web browsing , tv app, Netflix, Prime video, Google play music, and all with a touch screen and Bluetooth. And I can just pick it up and put it wherever I want.

Now, when is zwift coming out with an android app!

I use one of these in front of my trainer.

View attachment 63269

It’s huge (18.4 inch) android tablet which is super convenient because I got Web browsing , tv app, Netflix, Prime video, Google play music, and all with a touch screen and Bluetooth. And I can just pick it up and put it wherever I want.

Now, when is zwift coming out with an android app!

Do you have a desk set-up in front of your trainer? I originally bought some shelves to put on the wall next to mine, but that didn't work as well, so I use the desk most of the time. The Wahoo desk is actually really nice -- I'd probably use it as a stand-up desk to work at home, too.

Quick question for the general indoor audience: do you hang a towel over the front of your bike when you are on the trainer? I find that if I don't, I sweat way too much and the bars get slippery. I also need two extra towels -- one for wiping sweat while I ride and one for snot rockets (I just really try not to mix them up!)

Well... late to this thread/party so I had to spend over an hour reading through...
Anyhow here is my 2 cents, I ride plenty outside on the weekends as long as it's above 25, but during after work when its cold and dark out I pretty much am all the trainer all the time, my set up is a Cycleops PowerBeam, I use it with Rouvy on a small cheap laptop that I bought almost 9 years ago, I also use a iPad to watch movies/bike races/concerts, basicly interesting things that I can find on You tube or Netflix, I almost don't look at the Laptop/Rouvy it's just there changing the grade etc... as if I am riding outside, I like that I can choose a course and just ride it but not have to focus on it and keep my mind busy watching whatever it is on the iPad, I do use some structured training/intervals so that helps, but I find that having to finish a "course" on Rouvy really helps pass the time, usually not a issue during the week, but on a few of the really cold weekend days I pulled some 2-2.5 rides.

I can't try Zwift as the PowerBeam is not compatible with Zwfit (seems strange to me but that's how it is).
There is also another program but it dosen't seem like many people really use, called Bkool, just as an FYI.
I'm also not thrilled with the subscription model that everything is going to, as over a few years you will end up paying more for Zwift/Rouvy etc... then the cost of even a nice Smart trainer, when Rouvy first came out it was sold as a pice of software for around $80....

@1speed - just 1 towel under. 2 fans on me.

Zwift question. Today the whole drafting thing where it tells you how far you need to be stopped working. And I found myself in a monster pack that I was not riding with. No drafting benefits there.

Is there some sort of draft exception going on?

Recovery Drink: Like a carrot on a stick.
5BF2B253-9E9C-42DC-BA81-48D9A9C5E5BD.jpeg

I've been doing these Zwift WBR flat races because there always seems to be one when I want to ride and it's a great way to make the most of 50 minutes. Sometimes I can hang with the A group but mostly I get shelled...just like in real life.

Zwift question. Today the whole drafting thing where it tells you how far you need to be stopped working. And I found myself in a monster pack that I was not riding with. No drafting benefits there.

Is there some sort of draft exception going on?

Were you doing a structured "Workout" in Zwift? I don't think you get draft effect during in workout mode. It also could be that the group you saw was in group workout mode, which is sort of like a moving spin class that rubber bands everyone together regardless of the indtividual riders' power output. In that case you probably don't get drafting effect from them. Look for Zwift Events with "E" category.

Were you doing a structured "Workout" in Zwift?

Just riding, no workout nor groups. Someone drafted me for a long time though. Idk?

If I do an organized ride, what happens if/when it ends? Can I keep going? Sometimes I just aim for 90 or whatever. If the ride ends in 50 do I get dropped into the ocean?

Just riding, no workout nor groups. Someone drafted me for a long time though. Idk?

If I do an organized ride, what happens if/when it ends? Can I keep going? Sometimes I just aim for 90 or whatever. If the ride ends in 50 do I get dropped into the ocean?

ok, Zwift help pages say you can draft ANYBODY regardless of their relationship status or orientation. It's an open drafting relationship world so kind of like rock and roll in the 70's except on bikes without the hair or the drugs.

After an organized ride ends you die. But if you want to keep going you just keep going after the finish line. You're still in the 70's...right where you finished the event. If you join an event during the middle of a ride you get magically transported to the start of that event. Think edibles, where your mind can more easily bend time and space.

Is there a way to get a garmin hrm to show up in Rouvy on an iPad? Does Rouvy use HR or just the power? Since my Dr. wants me to keep an eye on HR, it would be easier on the ipad, but I guess I could use my Garmin too.

Also, what's the easiest way to get this to a TV instead of the iPad?
apple hdmi adaptor

Is there a way to get a garmin hrm to show up in Rouvy on an iPad? Does Rouvy use HR or just the power? Since my Dr. wants me to keep an eye on HR, it would be easier on the ipad, but I guess I could use my Garmin too.

Also, what's the easiest way to get this to a TV instead of the iPad?

I was thinking about this earlier while doing a TR workout. Is your HRM Bluetooth or Ant+? I'm guessing the latter. You need the Ant+ dongle if that's the case. This then leaves you with AirPlay to an AppleTV as your only option to mirror the iPad to a TV, since the only place to plug something in on the iPad is used.
Newer iPad with lightening connector will need an adapter, unless they've finally made a lightening dongle.

Back
Top Bottom