The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I was thinking about this earlier while doing a TR workout. Is your HRM Bluetooth or Ant+? I'm guessing the latter. You need the Ant+ dongle if that's the case. This then leaves you with AirPlay to an AppleTV as your only option to mirror the iPad to a TV, since the only place to plug something in on the iPad is used.
Newer iPad with lightening connector will need an adapter, unless they've finally made a lightening dongle.

Yeah, I ordered the ant+ dongle and realized this too. I guess I'll end up using a laptop so I more places to plug things in. Ipad was just simple. It'll probably be warm outside by the time I have this dialed in.

Just checked and Amazon has lightning splitters that might allow this if I buy enough male/male, female/female adapters to plug all this in. Luckily everything Prime is only $7.

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Nothing like gearing up for a ride.
DC0B0755-28A8-472F-A316-CD6A5DA07884.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok next question for the Zwifters.

Last week I borrowed my friend's account and it kept telling me I was smashing his FTP settings (he does not have a PM, so it's a total BS cadence-estimate).

This week I have my own account and I get no more FTP estimates. Why?

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok next question for the Zwifters.

Last week I borrowed my friend's account and it kept telling me I was smashing his FTP settings (he does not have a PM, so it's a total BS cadence-estimate).

This week I have my own account and I get no more FTP estimates. Why?

You have to do the FTP test. (20 minute FTP)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It should be able to detect a new FTP. Doesn't TrainingPeaks or something else do that? Like if you were in a race and went past your FTP it'll tell you and ask if you want to re-do your FTP #?

I'm pretty sure, but I can also be imagining this since it hardly applies to me.

goldsbar

You should be getting an FTP reading as long as you're riding at least 20 minutes. Now, if you're not riding 20 really hard minutes at some point in your ride, your FTP will be really low - but you should still have one. Once you beat your previous 20 minute best mark, Zwift will ask you if you want to raise your FTP to xxx. I've read that a true "official" 20 minute FTP test in the training mode is still more accurate. I've tried all of the 60-90 minute workouts using my FTP estimate via Zwift and they're all fairly killer. Actually too killer! I usually just ride around and find it's much easier (mentally) to do 20 minutes at or near FTP by climbing a hill hard rather than staring at some timer counting down and having the trainer set the watts.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should be getting an FTP reading as long as you're riding at least 20 minutes. Now, if you're not riding 20 really hard minutes at some point in your ride, your FTP will be really low - but you should still have one. Once you beat your previous 20 minute best mark, Zwift will ask you if you want to raise your FTP to xxx. I've read that a true "official" 20 minute FTP test in the training mode is still more accurate. I've tried all of the 60-90 minute workouts using my FTP estimate via Zwift and they're all fairly killer. Actually too killer! I usually just ride around and find it's much easier (mentally) to do 20 minutes at or near FTP by climbing a hill hard rather than staring at some timer counting down and having the trainer set the watts.

Nope, none of that works by default. I finally figured out where the FTP is. You can only see it while you are riding, and you pause, or before you start. The value was 0 so I put in a value just for the heck of it.

Really enjoy it so far but the UX is garbage mostly unless you are on a ride/race. Best time to customize your rider? Well of course, the middle of a ride. Makes perfect sense!

Having said that, I really do like it.

CrankAddictRich

Really enjoy it so far but the UX is garbage mostly unless you are on a ride/race. Best time to customize your rider? Well of course, the middle of a ride. Makes perfect sense!

You can log in anytime and customize your rider, just hit "T"

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm getting very little out of this.

are we allowed to joke in here, or is it SFZ (sarcasm free zone) - a safe place for indoor people. :D

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can log in anytime and customize your rider, just hit "T"

Well this is kinda what I mean. You need to launch the app on the laptop. The website & mobile app don't have things like that, or your FTP. I mean christ, you can't even look at your rides on the website other than a summary. These are basic UX things. I can see more of the ride on Strava than I can on the website and the mobile app.

I was doing UI design for a lot of years so this kind of stuff irks me.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Last night was the first time I experienced a freeze-up on Zwift. My screen froze three times after I climbed the mountain - once for like two or three minutes. It doesn't advance you at all and the time doesn't keep counting, though, so it's kind of like a free break. But it was annoying.

I think I'm figuring out now what kind of rides I like. I really like the climbs. I'd rather go and do a slower pace ride and just climb all day on Zwift than ride tempo on the flat courses. I think part of it is because not as many people ride the climbs so I'm not constantly in a crowd of people. (Talk about anti-social, right? I can't even stand riding in a virtual crowd.) I don't want to do that every time just because I don't want to do super hard rides every time, but given the choice, I like the big climbs because I'm just locked in and alone for most of the ride. But I think there is something else, too: last Friday, I was having dinner with a couple of friends and we were talking about racing and riding. At one point, we were talking about how to train for events out west if you live here, the problem being that in CO and other western states, you have these climbs that go on forever and it's really hard to find similar hills here. There just simply aren't any climbs that go on and on. I know it's not exactly the same, but Zwift lets you climb like that if you want to. It took me about 30 minutes to climb the mountain yesterday. I don't know of any actual 30 minute climbs in this area, so it serves that purpose to a degree. Of course, you do need to "adjust" your ride - I climbed the whole thing in my big ring, even the extended 14 degree section on the very top of the mountain. That would never happen in reality, but I think the added difficulty over the entire length of the climb did feel real becasue it compensates for the lack of wind and whatever else to a degree. And I think it helps with actual riding, too. Despite not having ridden outside for a while, I felt pretty good climbing the short punchy stuff at Wiss these last few days that I was out there.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last night was the first time I experienced a freeze-up on Zwift.
Something was up last night. It took me 15 minutes to sign in. They DO get swamped occasionally. I think there was a Ride with Jens day that almost shut em down a coupla years ago.
@fidodie - no. Sarcasm hurts my heart. (I may vomit if I another FB person posts about their happy fucking childhood on bikes and how we're doing it wrong. But I promise to do it quietly, so's not to disturb anyone. I deleted the FB app from my phone, and am happier.)
ALSO, anyone interested in doing a 6:20 race on Friday? I'll prolly be doing Cs. (The W/KG thing is brutal.) There's another at 7:15 that's a bit more "training-y", so if I oversleep, that'll be the one...

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep, that sounds right. You'd've thought that would have been worked out by now... OTOH, once I was in, zero problems. The Apple TV freebie is pretty dang cool. Worst remote in the history of remotes though. About as effective as typing while wearing gloves fashioned out of used condoms. That aside, brilliant.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm usually on the 9:00PM train. Far too many innocent souls stirring in my house at 6:00 AM to do anything but make breakfast.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I you wanna run zwift on Apple TV and you have ANT+ devices you can always get an ANT-to-BLE bridge type device. like a NPE Cable or 4iiii HRM.

Top Bottom