The Heckle Report

Well.

Racing starts tomorrow morning at Forest Park in beautiful Springfield, MA, followed by Blunt Park on Sunday, also in Springfield. I'm headed up to the LDBCX team complex tonight. Nervous, excited, angry, bitter, happy, stoked, concerned, prepared. All should be fine as long as I remember wet wipes.

This weekend is basically a dry run. Does the bike sorta work, do my legs sorta work kinda thing.

I joined @MadisonDan, Harry, and Frank again last night for CX drillz in Madison. Did some simulated starts, slalom and off the bike work. Fun time, and definitely great to do some stuff I haven't done in 8 months. I did find some damage on my front tire which I half ass addressed with some mastik last night. I should really get a different tire on there.

Undecided on which wheels I want to race. These parks aren't known for being easy on wheel sets. I pinched a toobie at forest last year and there roots-a-pleanty at Blunt. I guess I'll take both because who doesn't love hauling gear.

Racing 1-2-3 both days, midpack prediction with my hot Cat 3 points from last year. Here's to mediocrecy.

Recap to follow.

i just signed up for granogue, #LASTROWKILLAZ

Not enough likes for this. I totally got caught off guard on how quick Granogue was coming up and signed up late. Not quite last rows but with a full field of 120 it's far enough back to make a difference.

Who's started stalking crossresults yet?

That situation happened to me a couple of years ago when we decided last second to do Charm City. I was the second to last row and ended up 11th in the 4 race. it's just a different kind of race. You see how many people you can pass. I think at one point, Norm said I passed 40 people in two turns :p

Who's started stalking crossresults yet?
if you have to ask, you're already too late.

Last edited:
2015-16 CX RACE #1 & 2
It feels funny saying it but I raced my CX bike twice this weekend!

Rolled into the Pelham house around 10 on Friday. We watched Troll 2, it was horrible. This is Tyler:
lOZpW67l.jpg

Thanks to the sleeping bag I picked up before the memorial day bike camping trip I can now fit all of my clothes, bedding and race kit into the Bailey Works. Pretty sweet! Back to air mattress lyfe.

In the garage:
mBMYsDXl.jpg

RACE #1 - Forest Park, Springfield, MA 1/2/3
It was freezing when we woke up. Hit Amherst Coffee for some joe and a ham & cheese croissant. Those damn things are so good, also best coffee on earth. We drove 40 minutes down to the venue which is sandwiched by RT91 and a pretty rich neighborhood. The park is sprawling and very beautiful.

I prerode 2 laps and caught up with some of the team and some racing buddies. The course features 2 short gravel power climbs, a loose gravel downhill, some single track with rooty technical corners and only a little grass. There is also a roughly paved downhill and a short steep run up (for most).

I lined up 1st row next to @keithgarrison and went out maybe 7th. Did I mention Curtis White showed up for this race? Yeah the same U23 Team USA Curtis White who will be racing CrossVegas next weekend. After minute 2:45 he was GONE.

I lost a few places before the woods but was feeling very confident on everything. My bike handling was on point Saturday. I made up places every lap up the power climbs standing out of the saddle. 5th in the end with a few seconds between me and the guys behind me. Good enough for $20. I raced reasonably clean, with only one "oh shtit" moment, and a few "I wouldn't have taken the lazy line 2 laps ago." moments. Only 5 laps and 0:40 racing.

Zach crashed out of his race
o4pkk2Xl.jpg

Tyler came in 8th for 3/4, Cool Keith won the 3/4 and Brian won the 4/5. Great showings for Laughing Dog.

Zach Merola and Ty
S5QzczQl.jpg

Merola talked Ty and I into Vietnamese sandwiches in the heart of Springfield. I got the pork special which had 5 different preparations of pig I've never had. Wasn't bad, questioned exactly what I was eating.
WUKjb6cl.jpg

hung at Laughing Dog for the rest of the afternoon. I added some glue to my mudwheels and drank a few brews. As a public service announcment unwrap your bars, and check you stem/steerer now and again. Aluminum doesn't rust, BUT IT DOES OXIDIZE. From a customer bike:
dFGgSM2l.jpg

Burger and fries for dinner and pizza for second dinner.

Race #2 Blunt Park - Springfield, MA 1/2/3
I prerode one lap and wasn't really into racing. There are some mean roots and I was feeling bleh about racing in a much faster field then the day before. I lined up with that attitude and at the start clicked right into race mode. I went out top 10 into the first corner.

The Blunt park course has a couple long bumpy straights through the woods with 2 bad patches of roots. There was an effective 24" barrier this year from a downed tree. It was pretty fun actually. The non wooded section is tight turn after tight turn with some roots in the middle of the more open corners. I never felt too fatigued Sunday.

On lap 3/8 I got stuck behind some dude riding on a rear flat. We were in the tight twisting corners. When I asked if I could get by the guy gave me 4 or 5 "go now"s before he closed the door each time before I could make a move. When I proposed him going wide he promptly said "No way, I can't loose any more time." I think there were 5 guys behind him. It took way to long to finally get around. I spent a few minutes thinking about how much I hate people like that.

The facts:
1. It's a non USA cycling event
2. It's still August
3. You are already out of money contention before your flat
4. You are being a wiener.

I'm the kind of racer that asks if you want to get by when you come close a huge gap and stick to my wheel. Does that make me the asshole? 1/2/3 field is proving to already be lame.

Anyway, finished 10th/25. Pretty happy with everything. My tires were a little over inflated which sucked but that's an attribute to the roots.

Bassett sending one into orbit while racing in jorts:
6kIjt9vl.jpg

Cool Keith deep in the pain cave on route to winning his second consecutive 3/4 race:
JHrEUJQl.jpg

Silty dust day:
I6yPEVwl.jpg

Lunch was a MASSIVE chicken parm sub. Driving through springfield is odd because you feel like its nice AND horrible at the same time. We passed numerous personal injury lawyers on our way to the highway.

Stopped at Red Scroll Records in CT and picked up 4 pieces of plastic I've had on my list.
The Constantine's - Shine a Light
Hurray for the Riff Raff - Small Town Heros
Laura Stevenson and the Cans - A Record
King Tuff s/t

I rushed this one out, thanks for reading. STILL WAITING FOR CROSS RESULTZZZZ

Next up Granogue!

Back
Top Bottom