The DIY thread - DIYourself

If hot water works but slow I'd think steam would work faster. Probably can rent a heavy duty steamer. Just a guess tho

the big pain is the actual scraping. i was hoping there was some magical chemical i could dump on it and have it go away. ya know, something like 12M Hcl. that would work.

Digging almost done then it started to rain again on the koi pond, didn't expect to be digging this long, as the block stacking and overall design evolved during the process
First attempt so lots of trial and error, I went with 6" thick blocks instead of 8" to allow for more pond surface area
All walls will have mortared concrete blocks to prevent erosion and a gravel base. The pond is partially raised and will be at the deepest 4 feet which will allow the fish to stay outside along with a small deicer. The size has grown from 1000 to 1500 gallons so I needed to order a larger EPDM liner, which weighs about 150 pounds.

The pond will come off the deck sort of like this
c209c167fc82edd8b8d8b7271452c5de.jpg

but will have a bog filter behind it like this
4add1935174dbad749867df12fde3d50.jpg

but had to dig more yesterday to add a bowed front and a side waterfall
I've now got tendonitis on both elbows
b5bd2630ed45ac4a5d81e24b12da57c1.jpg

@qclabrat, do you have plans for a cover (mesh netting perhaps)? If not, raccoons and hawks will steal your fish.

@qclabrat, do you have plans for a cover (mesh netting perhaps)? If not, raccoons and hawks will steal your fish.

absolutely, I'll have a two perimeter netting to stop the predators, especially the dreaded blue herons
Will have a thick knotted net stretched across the top and 50lb fishing line crisscrossed across the top. My neighbors have had there ponds fished out by those damn protected herons

Any other ideas?

So I have been in a money pit situation at my house the past month. I had some projects on the docket for the year, but then unearthed some crap I really didn't expect which has not only blown my budget but also has taken all of my time on top of work. One issue I just unearthed is that my upstairs shower has been leaking into my kitchen ceiling for a while. So I need a new subfloor in my bathroom along with a standup shower basin - in other words I gotta gut my bathroom and start from scratch. Anyone know any bathroom guys? Because I am knee deep in other crap I'm trying to fix... like my floors.

Which brings me to my other question- how the F do you get linoleum adhesive off your subfloor? I have been pouring hot water on the stuff and scraping it up. It has been a job and a half but it works, just slowly. I'm about halfway done, but is there an easier way other than just tearing out the subfloor and putting in a new one or scraping up this bubble gum-like smelly shit?

I need to pull it off because I'm putting in a hardwood floor where this linoleum was. The linoleum was an unexpected issue that has set me back on time. I was gonna do the bathroom myself but at the speed I put in my new floors upstairs and with my job about to get stupid busy I won't finish it until August if I am lucky - and I need that bathroom back up and running sooner than later.

Here's a gratuitous self-installed hardwood floor pic. Finished both upstairs bedrooms last weekend. That was fun. Gotta paint and pick trim... oh and do new doors on the closets... and still do the lights in the kitchen... and...

View attachment 52926

i do bathrooms :)

did you really need to remove the linoleum? well, guess that is moot.
how big is the space? just rip up the subfloor, and put down new. why bust your ass for a few $...
its one thing if it is just easy labor - but that sucks. a square shovel maybe?
did they glue the whole sheet? or just the edges?

floating floor or nail down?

i do bathrooms :)

did you really need to remove the linoleum? well, guess that is moot.
how big is the space? just rip up the subfloor, and put down new. why bust your ass for a few $...
its one thing if it is just easy labor - but that sucks. a square shovel maybe?
did they glue the whole sheet? or just the edges?

floating floor or nail down?

i had to remove the floor - its about 400 square feet, and they glued the whole damn sheet down.

i like the square shovel idea... i'll try that tonight.

Which brings me to my other question- how the F do you get linoleum adhesive off your subfloor? I have been pouring hot water on the stuff and scraping it up. It has been a job and a half but it works, just slowly. I'm about halfway done, but is there an easier way other than just tearing out the subfloor and putting in a new one or scraping up this bubble gum-like smelly shit?
Did you use a heat gun when removing the tiles?
I did, and didn't have too much trouble with leftover adhesive.
Might be an option to try now.

And how much are we talking?
Will underlayment absorb the blobs?

absolutely, I'll have a two perimeter netting to stop the predators, especially the dreaded blue herons
Will have a thick knotted net stretched across the top and 50lb fishing line crisscrossed across the top. My neighbors have had there ponds fished out by those damn protected herons

Any other ideas?
Don't forget minks. Apparently during the winter they dig tunnels under the snow and prey on the fishes in the pond under the ice. Comes the spring all the fishes are gone. My neighbor had the pond emptied by them without ever realizing it (until after that is).

Any other ideas?

Everyone I know of who put one of these Koi ponds in has at one point or another had all of their fish wiped out due to predation. You put this beautiful pond in and then have to ugly it up with nets and other barriers. My neighbor had $400 worth of Koi wiped out in 3 days by a Blue Heron. These things are everywhere, why are they protected? Next go around, a family of raccoons and the Herontook out another $300 worth of fish. He asked me to intercede with a more “permanent” solution, but I told him it was his decorative pond, he had to get his own hands dirty.

I've seen Blue Herons while I'm trout fishing, the speed with which these things strike is amazing. Your Koi don't stand a chance against one.

Did you use a heat gun when removing the tiles?
I did, and didn't have too much trouble with leftover adhesive.
Might be an option to try now.

And how much are we talking?
Will underlayment absorb the blobs?

its a good coating - and smells like crap - especially with the heat gun. i was debating the underlayment thing and just covering it up, but my CEO's nose will pick it up, then i'll regret not pulling it all up.

Everyone I know of who put one of these Koi ponds in has at one point or another had all of their fish wiped out due to predation. You put this beautiful pond in and then have to ugly it up with nets and other barriers. My neighbor had $400 worth of Koi wiped out in 3 days by a Blue Heron. These things are everywhere, why are they protected? Next go around, a family of raccoons and the Herontook out another $300 worth of fish. He asked me to intercede with a more “permanent” solution, but I told him it was his decorative pond, he had to get his own hands dirty.

I've seen Blue Herons while I'm trout fishing, the speed with which these things strike is amazing. Your Koi don't stand a chance against one.

Don't forget the neighborhood fishermen

its a good coating - and smells like crap - especially with the heat gun. i was debating the underlayment thing and just covering it up, but my CEO's nose will pick it up, then i'll regret not pulling it all up.

Try any solvents? Maybe a citrus based one - non toxic and at least if will smell better

@fidodie , pat I
So I have been in a money pit situation at my house the past month. I had some projects on the docket for the year, but then unearthed some crap I really didn't expect which has not only blown my budget but also has taken all of my time on top of work. One issue I just unearthed is that my upstairs shower has been leaking into my kitchen ceiling for a while. So I need a new subfloor in my bathroom along with a standup shower basin - in other words I gotta gut my bathroom and start from scratch. Anyone know any bathroom guys? Because I am knee deep in other crap I'm trying to fix... like my floors.

I need to pull it off because I'm putting in a hardwood floor where this linoleum was. The linoleum was an unexpected issue that has set me back on time. I was gonna do the bathroom myself but at the speed I put in my new floors upstairs and with my job about to get stupid busy I won't finish it until August if I am lucky - and I need that bathroom back up and running sooner than later.

Here's a gratuitous self-installed hardwood floor pic. Finished both upstairs bedrooms last weekend. That was fun. Gotta paint and pick trim... oh and do new doors on the closets... and still do the lights in the kitchen... and...

View attachment 52926
call Mattybfat

Don't think I'd trust them with an entry code after a fubar of that magnitude.

Eh we were there when the repainted, at least they fixed it asap and even did more than the original contract stated. Their entry code is gone now.

Reactions: rlb

I have another neighbor with good luck against the herons, though they do stand there and try to peck at the fish through the net. I'd imagine they are worse up there in N. Jersey, If the fish don't work out, I'll at least have a nice pond with plants and water features. I really enjoy the sound of running water on my deck.

After the painters came through my new apartment, I was putting up fresh switch plate covers and came across this curious guy. It's located just above the front door and there's a similar one above the secondary exit. It was covered with a blank.

I have no idea what this is. Looks like it may be for a doorbell but the building already has an intercom. Any guesses? Can I put a security camera there and power it?
IMG_3184.JPG

Thanks. Love the detail! Lol.

What else can I do with it?
sorry i edited my post above.

if you live in a apt i wouldn't touch it as it might set off a trouble signal at the main panel.

i would inquire if there should be any devices in your space. sometimes things are taken down and not put back up or an installer might of missed your unit.

Back
Top Bottom