The DIY thread - DIYourself

hotsauce

No worries!

None of the other apartments in the building have anything there and the wire ends indicate nothing has been there since the building was built in 09. Generally condo buildings don't have strobes in the apartments, only the common elements.

I'll inquire with a neighbor to see if there is any more info but I'm almost certain something wasn't taken down by the prior owner.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
After the painters came through my new apartment, I was putting up fresh switch plate covers and came across this curious guy. It's located just above the front door and there's a similar one above the secondary exit. It was covered with a blank.

I have no idea what this is. Looks like it may be for a doorbell but the building already has an intercom. Any guesses? Can I put a security camera there and power it?
View attachment 52949

disconnect it, and see what stops working....it may have been a buzzer, that was later replaced with the intercom.
looks to be low voltage dc wiring.

and cover that exposed conductor, its making me crazy. i can't even look at it.

hotsauce

Building is only 9years old and has had very low turnover so no other pics I can find. It definitely isn't a retrofit that was replaced with the intercom since the building is so new.

@fidodie the wires passed almost certainly passed inspection like that. Maybe being a building inspector in a small town in Hudson County is a no-show job!

gtluke

The Moped
I should probably update this thread with my kitchen progress. Which has been very slow. It's not winter anymore and everything left is super tedious and not as impressive of improvements.
Microwave is in.
Will take more pics today.
i-hZTRnPb-XL.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
I should probably update this thread with my kitchen progress. Which has been very slow. It's not winter anymore and everything left is super tedious and not as impressive of improvements.
Microwave is in.
Will take more pics today.
i-hZTRnPb-XL.jpg

looks great! is that upper going to have a door?

Patrick

Staff member
oh crap.....

went to start the metro on thursday, and it fired up, then slowly faded...was thinking water in the gas - but it didn't make sense given
the fuel level, and the last time it was driven. Another thought came to mind, and sure enough...

View attachment 27773

There is a decent chance that mr mouse got ingested.

View attachment 27774

pulled the plugs, but didn't see anything furry. Need to find my camera-on-a-cable to inspect
further. Cleaning the plugs, and letting everything dry out produced a kick of the engine, but nothing more.
no backfire, nothing.....

more to follow.....

and he's back! but this year, i checked before starting the car......disaster averted.
IMG_6679.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
So I guess he didn't make it to the valves last year?

the timing belt had magically skipped a couple teeth, so maybe.....must be his kid. i'm going to need to put a coarse screen in

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After the painters came through my new apartment, I was putting up fresh switch plate covers and came across this curious guy. It's located just above the front door and there's a similar one above the secondary exit. It was covered with a blank.

I have no idea what this is. Looks like it may be for a doorbell but the building already has an intercom. Any guesses? Can I put a security camera there and power it?
View attachment 52949

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So the current kitchen state of affairs:

IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPG IMG_0737.JPG

I want to make sure I don't have excess moisture in the subfloor after doing all this work. Anyone have a good timeframe to wait? I have read 24/48 hours is plenty of time before flooring goes down. Anyone suggest longer?

gtluke

The Moped
what type of lights you going with? quite possible my least favorite home improvement decision to make
I went with Chinese Amazon under cabinet set-up with a quality power supply. 4" recessed lot lights with 3k LEDs, matches the cab light. Doesn't match the hood light such is like 5k and looks weird

qclabrat

30 something hours later, pit is dug and even managed to lay two courses down for the deep section of the pond, thanks to @rlb, I was able to cut a few blocks with an angle grinder. Though my masonry skills are really lacking...
wp_20170611_13_34_59_pro-jpg.100884

Watchung mts has lots of rocks
wp_20170611_10_14_49_pro-jpg.100881

qclabrat

I went with Chinese Amazon under cabinet set-up with a quality power supply. 4" recessed lot lights with 3k LEDs, matches the cab light. Doesn't match the hood light such is like 5k and looks weird
looks great, can you take some shots from each entry but further back? we are looking at a multi family home in Westfield which needs a kitchen redo on both sides

also what is the sq footage now?

rlb

I want to make sure I don't have excess moisture in the subfloor after doing all this work. Anyone have a good timeframe to wait? I have read 24/48 hours is plenty of time before flooring goes down. Anyone suggest longer?

This is from steaming off the old glue? What are you putting down? If someone is laying the floor for you I'd check with them.

Top Bottom