The 2017 "I'm a bike racer so I'm going to complain about everything" thread

This is the big game in town, there is smaller series with smaller numbers (think small NJ races) that happen before this, but no one really goes up against this in the area, from Pisgah to Raleigh. This is THEE series....

4pm race, back to my car and done sweating at 5pm, BS for a little (not @UtahJoe length BSing sadly), drive 1:30 home, Home by 7:30? WTF

Guess I'm going to be SSCXing with cut off jeans and flannel

Want something to complain about? Check out these start times:

View attachment 57529

I thought shit was supposed to be cheaper in the south.

The course open thing is actually nice. But 9am is rediculous. And I'm thinking if they are allocating times for course inspection they are assholes about course inspection in between races.

First race includes your numbers you keep for the year, so its $5 cheaper for the rest of the series, so that is a plus!

Having a whole hour of NOTHING, THREE TIMES is insane though. These fields are kind of meh sized, Total people is between 200-300 for any given event. To compare, Nittany was 418/450 day 1 and day 2.

Looking forward to the late-day race report. All my kvetching aside, it's prolly gonna be a hoot. Maybe you'll get lucky and there'll be delays... Bring a light :)

Every race I've been to the past two years has started 5 minutes after it was suppose to...

WHO LET THIS HAPPEN?!

Thinking about throwing together a race for Sunday.

If I keep reg open until Friday I bet I could do pretty well for myself.
upload_2017-10-2_7-40-57.png

Do the times allow you to do more than one race on Sunday? Say, do caffeinated, jump in the car, drive to Baltimore?
That would work but I was hoping to be home for a family party on Saturday. Looking like I'll just miss the party AND get Belgian lapped since I should really be racing both days.

YAY BIKES. SO MUCH FUN.

Tape and Stake issues... after my tapepocalypse of 2017 at Hippocross, I am wondering if tape and stakes get ripped out or screwed up, is there anyone responsible for making sure its gets fixed? Speaking from a safety standpoint...

For those wondering, I had an unfortunate full OTB ejection after loose tape / ripped out stakes / wind snatched my left hood and bars out from under me at around 15mph

@Mountain Bike Mike, was wondering what happened to you.

There was the long out-back section which was a mess plus the dusty downhill off-camber never had a stake standing up. Definitely should have had people out there during the race to at least make sure it wasn't hazardous.

Sorry to hear. Did u land on grass or road?
Our team only hosted a few cx races but from what I remember we tried to keep stakes and tape in good order through out the day.
If someone ran into stake/tape a few minutes before you and you had to deal with aftermath that is just bad luck. If the stake/tape was out of place before your race...well that sucks.

@pooriggy it was a dirt / gravel / grass road... Grass in the middle, dirt / gravel in the car tire track grooves...

It was a freak accident, wrong place wrong time and there was no way to see it coming to escape it.. The tape was all over the place and the stakes were down and I happened to be in a spot when a gust of wind picked up and blew the tape in front of my bars...

I talked to the photographer after the race who was literally standing right there and he said they tried to put the stake back in the ground several times earlier in the day but the ground was so hard they needed a hammer to get it fully in to the ground. So the wind kept blowing them out.

unfortunately, he did not get pics of me falling. WOOD HAVE BEEN A GREAT ARTIFACT FOR THE RACE RECAP

@Mountain Bike Mike, was wondering what happened to you.

There was the long out-back section which was a mess plus the dusty downhill off-camber never had a stake standing up. Definitely should have had people out there during the race to at least make sure it wasn't hazardous.

I think I was just pulling myself off the ground as you went by and said to keep going. By that point, my race was over. I hit the ground hard and didn't feel like riding the last lap to fight for next to last place.

At the smaller events you've got people who just notice there's an issue and take it upon themselves to go fix it. I've fixed tape/stakes at a bunch of events I was spectating at. At SuperCross last year somehow I got in charge of fixing a section I was near.

The issue this method has is those far-away spots where riders go off the beaten path can have tape/stake issues and nobody is out there to notice.

@pooriggy it was a dirt / gravel / grass road... Grass in the middle, dirt / gravel in the car tire track grooves...

It was a freak accident, wrong place wrong time and there was no way to see it coming to escape it.. The tape was all over the place and the stakes were down and I happened to be in a spot when a gust of wind picked up and blew the tape in front of my bars...

I talked to the photographer after the race who was literally standing right there and he said they tried to put the stake back in the ground several times earlier in the day but the ground was so hard they needed a hammer to get it fully in to the ground. So the wind kept blowing them out.

unfortunately, he did not get pics of me falling. WOOD HAVE BEEN A GREAT ARTIFACT FOR THE RACE RECAP

i was really worried about the 2-way traffic section at that off-camber, downhill turn. esp in the slower categories where taking the racing line always means being on the inside.
glad there wasn't any head-ons there.

that is a nasty slide mark - the wheel track was the fast lane, and right next to the tape in both directions on that out-n-back.
it sucks - glad it is just a flesh wound, even tho it ended your day.

they tried to put the stake back in the ground several times earlier in the day but the ground was so hard they needed a hammer to get it fully in to the ground.
No, when the ground is dry and hard you need a hammer and pin. You pound metal pin into ground to loosen soil, pull pin out then hammer stake in. Without a pin, you destroy stake in the process of trying to pound into rock hard ground. Rookie mistake.
39294881-sledge-hammer-and-iron-rod.jpg

Back
Top Bottom