The 2017 "I'm a bike racer so I'm going to complain about everything" thread

i was really worried about the 2-way traffic section at that off-camber, downhill turn. esp in the slower categories where taking the racing line always means being on the inside.
glad there wasn't any head-ons there.

that is a nasty slide mark - the wheel track was the fast lane, and right next to the tape in both directions on that out-n-back.
it sucks - glad it is just a flesh wound, even tho it ended your day.
That section scared me. Fast downhill into off camber turn with only tape separating oncoming traffic? Dan Larino doesn't even set up courses like that at Ottos. Super dangerous. Also, can we talk about the "flyover"? Hate to complain as the course was actually pretty fun at speed. But damn, let's at least keep it safe.

That section scared me. Fast downhill into off camber turn with only tape separating oncoming traffic? Dan Larino doesn't even set up courses like that at Ottos. Super dangerous. Also, can we talk about the "flyover"? Hate to complain as the course was actually pretty fun at speed. But damn, let's at least keep it safe.

The flyover was weird... First lap, I remounted on top and didn't get clipped in and sailed down the ramp no footed and prayed I didn't wreck... After that, I ran the ramp and remounted in the grass.

The flyover was weird... First lap, I remounted on top and didn't get clipped in and sailed down the ramp no footed and prayed I didn't wreck... After that, I ran the ramp and remounted in the grass.

first time i put the tire over the edge and flying mount on the way down - scared the crap out of myself. glad i hit the pedals - saw one guy miss and break his seatpost.
dirty side dismount was the wtg there - didn't see anyone try it in the morning.

for the record - i was a DNS after a couple of uncomfortable laps pre-riding. i'll write that up when i know more.

@pooriggy it was a dirt / gravel / grass road... Grass in the middle, dirt / gravel in the car tire track grooves...

It was a freak accident, wrong place wrong time and there was no way to see it coming to escape it.. The tape was all over the place and the stakes were down and I happened to be in a spot when a gust of wind picked up and blew the tape in front of my bars...

I talked to the photographer after the race who was literally standing right there and he said they tried to put the stake back in the ground several times earlier in the day but the ground was so hard they needed a hammer to get it fully in to the ground. So the wind kept blowing them out.

unfortunately, he did not get pics of me falling. WOOD HAVE BEEN A GREAT ARTIFACT FOR THE RACE RECAP

Sucks Mike. You've been pretty strong at Ottos so when you do put together a full race with no issues I'm anticipating a solid result

I think the flyover would have been ok if they added 3-4ft on the top, it was ok to ride down if you were alone but with 3-4 guys going into it I ran down because there was almost no room unless you were first in. A lot of people had problems there including me, somehow my chain dropped and jammed costing me some time because I couldn't get it pulled out.

I think I was just pulling myself off the ground as you went by and said to keep going. By that point, my race was over. I hit the ground hard and didn't feel like riding the last lap to fight for next to last place.

Sucks that happened Mike- I saw your DNF and was hoping it was just a mechanical. That tape almost took me down so not surprised.

Bubble CX is getting prepped for another fee hike. That race is gonna be $100 day of and BJ will cry about lack of numbers...

3 or so laps to go, I rolled down un-clipped, with my ass on the back of the seat like a toddler on a strider, hit the bottom and my seat got tilted up 15 degrees. They should have burned the flyover if effigy after the last race. Or better yet, before the first one.

I broke my seat in half rolling down that damn thing. (In other words, I'll bring the matches!)

upload_2017-10-3_7-17-37.png

Looks like Baltimore is cracking down on Fatbike CX.

RAGERAGERAGE

This 33mm is bs. @MadisonDan how wide are your PDXs on your valors? They say 33 on the sidewall, but they're probably wider...you ever measure?
Never measured... They're def wider than 33mm.

33mm is for the Elite races only. We can ride whatever TF we want. The USAC officials were checking in the pit last year at HPCX during the elite women's race, when I pitted for @The Heckler 's teammate, Cleo.

This 33mm is bs. @MadisonDan how wide are your PDXs on your valors? They say 33 on the sidewall, but they're probably wider...you ever measure?
they measure.....

.....wide.

around 35mm on my grails.

I actually emailed clement to try and figure out what their standard was for measure. Ie pressure in internal rim width as they say "33mm on most popular rim size" on their site which to me would mean 21mm internal since this is 2017 and not 2002.

Anyway, their response (which i received v fast) "

"Matt:

Thanks for the message. In production tire widths are actually measured from the seating line found near the bead of the tire to middle of the tire. All CLEMENT tires meet the 33 width requirement.

However, as you have found, a wide rim will make the tire width wider/less tall and a narrow rim will make the tire narrower/taller. I don’t have a list of specific rims that yield the 33 measurement."​

Seating line near the bead to middle of the tire sounds like the tire height to me.

Oh, then he closed with:
"Did you know all domestic categories, non UCI, can ride 35 according to the rule book?"​

Which is great if you aren't me.

Back
Top Bottom