The 2017 "I'm a bike racer so I'm going to complain about everything" thread

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
they measure.....

.....wide.

around 35mm on my grails.

I actually emailed clement to try and figure out what their standard was for measure. Ie pressure in internal rim width as they say "33mm on most popular rim size" on their site which to me would mean 21mm internal since this is 2017 and not 2002.

Anyway, their response (which i received v fast) "
"Matt:

Thanks for the message. In production tire widths are actually measured from the seating line found near the bead of the tire to middle of the tire. All CLEMENT tires meet the 33 width requirement.

However, as you have found, a wide rim will make the tire width wider/less tall and a narrow rim will make the tire narrower/taller. I don’t have a list of specific rims that yield the 33 measurement."​

Seating line near the bead to middle of the tire sounds like the tire height to me.

Oh, then he closed with:
"Did you know all domestic categories, non UCI, can ride 35 according to the rule book?"​

Which is great if you aren't me.

I'll give you a dollar if a UCI official actually boots you from a race for >33mm tires. Back in the scrub zone, the kind women and men wearing light blue pique polo shirts typically give the ole' 33mm-UCI-gap-o-meter a pretty liberal smoosh to make it fit on questionably legal tires.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We're talkimg 2 millimeters here. There's no way those plastic tire checkers have 2 mm tolerances.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I remember vividly seeing them SLAM that thing down on peoples wheels, if they had a hammer they would have used it.

hotsauce

I actually emailed clement
You should have called on the dedicated scrub zone bat phone.

I saw the USAC official at NBX measuring pit bikes last year and he wasn't jamming the guide on. He was almost gentle with it. In any event, the tire size discussion is silly most of us. Just ride 40s!

Was listening to a recent Bike Shop CX podcast and they were discussing oversized tubulars with a tire manufacturer. It would be interesting!

Top Bottom