Stolen Bike

Update:
Saturday morning 4am:
This guy
View attachment 96261
Puts up this ad:
View attachment 96262

So I call the cops and let them know. I can't do anything because I'll be leaving for Vermont in a couple hours.
At about 11am the detective calls and says the guy says the bike is sold and he is playing games with them.
I figure that's it, there goes the one shot at getting it back.

Then, on the way home from Vermont today, another defective calls and tells me they got the bike back and I can go pick it up. Apparently the guy did sell it. The cops figured it who the guy was, and who he sold it to, and now I can go pick it up at the station tomorrow.

I'm kind of amazed that it was found. Crazy.

Can you bail me out I'm using my one call for this post

Update:
Saturday morning 4am:
This guy
View attachment 96261
Puts up this ad:
View attachment 96262

So I call the cops and let them know. I can't do anything because I'll be leaving for Vermont in a couple hours.
At about 11am the detective calls and says the guy says the bike is sold and he is playing games with them.
I figure that's it, there goes the one shot at getting it back.

Then, on the way home from Vermont today, another defective calls and tells me they got the bike back and I can go pick it up. Apparently the guy did sell it. The cops figured it who the guy was, and who he sold it to, and now I can go pick it up at the station tomorrow.

I'm kind of amazed that it was found. Crazy.
So since you bought a new bike do you get 2 now or does one have to go back to insurance or something?

So since you bought a new bike do you get 2 now or does one have to go back to insurance or something?
I'm not sure, I guess I need to call them. I think they technically now own the old bike, so I guess it'll be up to them if they want to come get it or just write it off as a lose.

Time to move out of that neighborhood!
The neighborhood really isn't bad, but I guess that's why people come around and look for opportunities to steal stuff. Same reason, I guess, that the neighborhood fills up with outsiders on Halloween, more opportunities to get free shit.

I agree, even the nicest towns have terrible one parked right next door. Look at Union county for example. Btw: we have ADT and going to move on to self monitoring. Currently don't have any cams. Is the idea to cam the entire perimeter of the home?

I'm not sure, I guess I need to call them. I think they technically now own the old bike, so I guess it'll be up to them if they want to come get it or just write it off as a lose.
Hey, if they don,t do their homework and find out you got the bike back.... N+1. Great to have a decent ending either way. Social media is actually quite helpful.:thumbsup:

I agree, even the nicest towns have terrible one parked right next door. Look at Union county for example. Btw: we have ADT and going to move on to self monitoring. Currently don't have any cams. Is the idea to cam the entire perimeter of the home?

Self-monitoring? What is that?

We cammed all the entrances. Cams are pretty much only good for after the fact.

Self-monitoring? What is that?

We cammed all the entrances. Cams are pretty much only good for after the fact.
Still have alarms, glass breakage, motion sensors, etc. We have someone at home 90% of the time and also a dog. Doesn't make sense for central monitoring for us. The cams are just to survey after a phone alert is received. Hopefully the alarms would be enough to scare them away.

I wonder how much the insurance company would charge you to take the old bike back? Might be room to make some of your deductible back by selling it. What size? Lol

We have cameras in the front and the back, but not on the sides. I only got them after the guy across the street had his front door set on fire while he was out of town. I'm fairly certain, however, that it was an inside job. The house went into foreclosure a couple weeks later, he only lived there a year and expected his wife and kids to move in with him. They didn't.
I'm not sure having the camera helped at all in getting the bike back or for figuring out who it was that took it, but it did show me exactly what happened, and that was worth it in my opinion. If I wasn't able to find video of it, I'd be wondering how they got into the house, whether anything else was taken, whether or not they went into the living areas, etc. It would have been way more of a stressful experience not knowing anything.

I wonder how much the insurance company would charge you to take the old bike back? Might be room to make some of your deductible back by selling it. What size? Lol
From what I've read they either will send someone to pick it up, or decide it's not worth it. For me to buy it back I'd probably have to give them all their money back, lol, I don't want to do that. It's a medium.

From what I've read they either will send someone to pick it up, or decide it's not worth it. For me to buy it back I'd probably have to give them all their money back, lol, I don't want to do that. It's a medium.
If they decide not to take it, do you get to claim it?

Looks like the bike got scuffed after it was stolen? If so, let the company know, they probably don't want a damaged item back.

How come this didnt go into the Craigslist post? Throwin middle fingers up seems the best way to sell a bike.

Awesome news on the recovery. What happens to the dude that stole it? Grand theft? Petty Larceny?

How come this didnt go into the Craigslist post? Throwin middle fingers up seems the best way to sell a bike.

Awesome news on the recovery. What happens to the dude that stole it? Grand theft? Petty Larceny?
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask when I pick up the bike. If they can't prove that he stole it, not sure they can to do much. But if they can prove it, they can get him with a lot, because he actually went into my house to steal it, makes it worse. At least that's what the told me when they took the initial report.

Reactions: don
Yes great outcome but keep us updated if the get the sleaze who stole it.
He's a juvenile. They are charging him with burglary and theft. And might add theft by deception for selling it. I feel bad for the guy who bought it, he got it for 500, and isn't getting the money back, but was very cooperative with the police.

Back
Top Bottom