Stolen Bike

He's a juvenile. They are charging him with burglary and theft. And might add theft by deception for selling it. I feel bad for the guy who bought it, he got it for 500, and isn't getting the money back, but was very cooperative with the police.
So a slap on the wrist, probably not his first or his last. Sometimes I believe the guardians should be charged also for failing to be a parent. I am happy that some kind of justice has been served and bike was returned.

He's a juvenile. They are charging him with burglary and theft. And might add theft by deception for selling it. I feel bad for the guy who bought it, he got it for 500, and isn't getting the money back, but was very cooperative with the police.
He paid 500 for a bike worth 4 to 5 times that if not more he had to know it was stolen especially considering the price selling and a juvenile selling. Good to remeber if a price is too good to be true it prob is

He paid 500 for a bike worth 4 to 5 times that if not more he had to know it was stolen especially considering the price selling and a juvenile selling. Good to remeber if a price is too good to be true it prob is

Yup. Getting a ~$4,000 bike for $500 is too good to be true. He should have called the cops himself instead of handing over his money.

Yup. Getting a ~$4,000 bike for $500 is too good to be true. He should have called the cops himself instead of handing over his money.
I would think that anyone who knew what they were getting would know it was stolen, but who knows, the stupidity of people does amaze me at times.

So upon initial inspection, the frame has chipped paint in a few places. The handle bars are pretty scratched up, there's even a big chunk missing from one of the grips. And the rear derailleur is out of wack, I don't have time to mess with it to see why. Looks like he did a lot of skidding to stop cause the rear tire is pretty thrashed. The front tire was flat but appears to be holding air now, I'm sure it needs new sealant, it's been about a year since I added some. I left a message with the contact at the insurance company and am awaiting a call back to see what they want to do.

I would think that anyone who knew what they were getting would know it was stolen, but who knows, the stupidity of people does amaze me at times.

So upon initial inspection, the frame has chipped paint in a few places. The handle bars are pretty scratched up, there's even a big chunk missing from one of the grips. And the rear derailleur is out of wack, I don't have time to mess with it to see why. Looks like he did a lot of skidding to stop cause the rear tire is pretty thrashed. The front tire was flat but appears to be holding air now, I'm sure it needs new sealant, it's been about a year since I added some. I left a message with the contact at the insurance company and am awaiting a call back to see what they want to do.
If they dont wantbit dibs for $1000 lol

I agree, even the nicest towns have terrible one parked right next door. Look at Union county for example. Btw: we have ADT and going to move on to self monitoring. Currently don't have any cams. Is the idea to cam the entire perimeter of the home?
I have a camera in the front and back, positioned to be very obvious. I dont want to catch anyone, I want them to go elsewhere. It would be different for a business though...

While we are talking about security, the OP posted all within this thread his address, exact location of his house and subsequently dates he would be out of town. This is a public forum.

Note to selves, don't do this.

This is akin to posting all your pictures while still in Aruba on Facebook (when you could have done that the first day back home). People that are unlike us will use this information to rob people. Don't use your own technology against yourselves.

While we are talking about security, the OP posted all within this thread his address, exact location of his house and subsequently dates he would be out of town. This is a public forum.

Note to selves, don't do this.

This is akin to posting all your pictures while still in Aruba on Facebook (when you could have done that the first day back home). People that are unlike us will use this information to rob people. Don't use your own technology against yourselves.

Eh, it's not like I gave you the code to the alarm system.
When I first posted I thought I was mowing the lawn when this happened, turns out, it was when I took my 2 year old to swim class. Somehow, we were rushing to make it on time and forgot to close the garage door. Before we got back someone had closed it, so I never realized we accidentally left it open. I realized that the only people home were my 5 month old and his grandmother's, and was thankful that this guy didn't attempt to go into the house. The thought of that is way scarier to me than being robbed while I'm on vacation. And honestly, aside from my bikes, I really can't think of anything in this house worth stealing. And as long as my family is safe, whatever, it's just stuff. Would it suck? Sure, but it's all just stuff, that's what insurance is for. If I didn't post my address all you would have to do is Google my name to find it, lol. I would drive myself crazy if I tried to analyze how someone might be able to take advantage of me with everything that I did.

So a slap on the wrist, probably not his first or his last. Sometimes I believe the guardians should be charged also for failing to be a parent. I am happy that some kind of justice has been served and bike was returned.

Guardians should bear the financial brunt of this but the boy needs to repent not be sent away, have him do some time in a bike co-op. Would it be safe to say the bike exchange isn't far.

Lucky for this punk, that he did not get snagged in my house stealing from me. He would have been doing time in the hospital first, if the body was found still alive.
jk

Well now I'm picturing some sort of Ferris beullers day off type of scenario. What the hell happened?

I have to add that your home may be marked as a target. Once these clowns know you have expensive bikes, they may come back. In the moto world i've seen multiple attempts on homes that are know to house dirtbikes. Be careful for sure, and don't rely on electric garage door openers to offer any security.

The neighborhood really isn't bad, but I guess that's why people come around and look for opportunities to steal stuff. Same reason, I guess, that the neighborhood fills up with outsiders on Halloween, more opportunities to get free shit.

When the crooks are looking to steal a Range Rover where do they go? The Short Hills Mall not in front of the downtown bodega.

@Mahnken, wasn't trying to call you out, just was something I see too often. I have been robbed too and it sucks...lost family heirlooms when it happened to me (something of my great grandfathers) among other things...it still hurts. I get that it's only material stuff, but there are some things insurance can't fix.

Yea what happened with the insurance company and your recovered bike. You can answer in your thread about the theft I didnt want to look for it

They said the police should have gotten a letter saying the bike didn't belong to me anymore. She also said they won't take it because they don't have a salvage department. I asked her what the police usually do with them and she said they hold onto them for a little while and usually just throw them out. So I asked what I should do with it and she said to just keep it. She said I could give the money back if I wanted to, but it was already spent. So I essentially ended up with a new bike for a thousand dollars ?.

They said the police should have gotten a letter saying the bike didn't belong to me anymore. She also said they won't take it because they don't have a salvage department. I asked her what the police usually do with them and she said they hold onto them for a little while and usually just throw them out. So I asked what I should do with it and she said to just keep it. She said I could give the money back if I wanted to, but it was already spent. So I essentially ended up with a new bike for a thousand dollars ?.
Sold I will take your old for 1k

it make sense you are the outlier. the bike usually disappears. isn't worth their time doing salvage.

part it out, make people a good deal, make a donation. good karma with found money.

Back
Top Bottom