STOLEN BIKE ALERT: Pivot Mach 5.5

Most likely scenario is some drug dealer or crack head is riding the streets of NY on a really nice mountain bike..These stolen bikes rarely re surface unfortunately. I dont think a real mountain biker would steal a bike then be stupid enough to ride it on the local trails. The only other likely scenario is some unknowing person buys a stolen bike, but with the internet its easy to find your bike for sale on all of the sites. Perhaps check with that precincts property officer, a lot of times they recover unclaimed bikes and wind up auctioning them off eventually.

Most likely scenario is some drug dealer or crack head is riding the streets of NY on a really nice mountain bike..These stolen bikes rarely re surface unfortunately. I dont think a real mountain biker would steal a bike then be stupid enough to ride it on the local trails. The only other likely scenario is some unknowing person buys a stolen bike, but with the internet its easy to find your bike for sale on all of the sites. Perhaps check with that precincts property officer, a lot of times they recover unclaimed bikes and wind up auctioning them off eventually.

Actually the more likely scenario in NYC is professional bike thieves who drive around in vans looking for vulnerable bikes and will sell that bike (complete or in parts) in a completely different geographic area, and not online as to fly under the radar. Local precinct has my info and bike's serial number so if the frame is found, i'll get it back but the likelihood of that is slim to none. Detective did call me and said they were trying to obtain local security camera footage but that's the last i heard from them. I also combed the likely websites for weeks after with no luck so i've given up. Homeowners insurance covered 90% of the value, replaced it with identical new bike, now i just want to forget it ever happened.

I've always been curious about this. Did you have a specific rider on your HO policy that covered your bikes? Declared their value?

I've always been curious about this. Did you have a specific rider on your HO policy that covered your bikes? Declared their value?
Nope, no rider or anything declared or special with my policy. Just had to provide police report, photo and original receipt for goods and had my check within a week. I have Travelers and they were great to work with.

Back
Top Bottom