STOLEN BIKE ALERT: Pivot Mach 5.5

When my bike got wrecked when a car hit me, I just got a hand-written receipt from Jay at Halters for what it would cost to replace my bike as configured (upgraded wheels), as well as a new helmet, shorts and Jersey that were ripped.
hmm, so I have to be hit by a car to get an EVO...
Have to think long and hard about plus and minuses...

Sorry to hear.

I had a bmx bike stolen at gun point in Baltimore, my parents homeowners had me circle what I had from a mail order catalog as I had purchased it all from friends. That was $1,400 claim though, not the 6k GMB is looking at.
wow, you lived a life with street cred, stealing bikes with guns is crazy

hmm, so I have to be hit by a car to get an EVO...
Have to think long and hard about plus and minuses...
Or...
Fire-awareness-fire-marshal-training1.jpg

When my bike got wrecked when a car hit me, I just got a hand-written receipt from Jay at Halters for what it would cost to replace my bike as configured (upgraded wheels), as well as a new helmet, shorts and Jersey that were ripped.

This usually works out as this is such a small claim compared to what these ins companies are accustomed to writing. Plus w/o injury, they got off easily.

Keep receipts, photos of serial #'s. There is rarely a week that passes that i'm not processing a warranty, theft or damage claim for someone.

I’ve seen more than 3 videos/photos of thieves using them in broad daylight and people just walkig by like nothing is happening. Hard to approach a person who is carry a power tool. By the time someone calls police they are lonng gone.

Sounds like pluralistic ignorance to me. How unaware we have become. =)

When i claimed my bike/s under home insurance, they gave me replacement value.
This is spelled out in your policy. When I rented, many moons ago, i had 2 stolen and lost 50% of the value of the bikes because I didn't have "replacement value" in my renters insurance. When I got a new policy, I got replacement value (would still have to deal with deductible).

Not sure the exact way they calculate depreciation but it's a formula based on age and i think my agent said they actually google for current selling prices and then depreciate from that price. Yes, keep all receipts and serial number in a safe place (shops you by from usually have them on record too). Cops need serial number and you should register it online too. All i had to do to file my claim was tell them what happened, send a list of items, include approximate price and age, include supporting documentation of ownership (photos of the item showing brand, receipts, etc.), and the police report number. With my bike, it was only 1 year old so not much depreciation and all part swaps were done at the shop during purchase so i had 1 comprehensive receipt. I'm also claiming the damaged rack and lock. Insurance check and new bike will be here next week - got the exact same one because it was so awesome. If they ever recover the stolen one, there will be a sweet MTBNJ deal for somebody when i sell it. Detective has been in contact with me and said they're checking surveillance footage from the area.

I claimed newest garmin and nightrider light. Not to mention every top part had unnamed shop to sign off. Insurance company gave two choices depreciated value or my value to point where I had to prove to spend my value. Hence a nice custom seven with top parts new Garmin and light to finish it off.

^ I don't think that's the same bike. and i think it might be a phishing scam.

Wow, thanks MTBNJ community! Someone separately reached out to me via text too. As someone said though, wrong crankset, wrong build kit and wrong wheels but thanks for looking out!

What if it’s the same serial number?
I doubt someone would or could swap 1 factory build kit for another and get the exact Pivot factory carbon wheel upgrade. If they swapped parts, they would be more random than that.

I doubt someone would or could swap 1 factory build kit for another and get the exact Pivot factory carbon wheel upgrade. If they swapped parts, they would be more random than that.

What people would do when they need money and in a tough position! Leaving all possibilities open can reveal what you're seeking or not.

the bike pictured is brand new so the seller probably pulled the photo off the internet. if the seller actually has a bike to sell it may have different kit and wheels.

Back
Top Bottom