STOLEN BIKE ALERT: Pivot Mach 5.5

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
So sorry to hear this. As unlikely though it may be, i hope it’s found and the thieves get their comeuppance.

Chris(NJ)

Had my bright red Pivot Mach 5.5 locked to the car while I stopped in to visit my sister-in-law in NYC this afternoon at 4:30pm. Came out around 7pm and cable lock was bolt-cut, bike rack lock broken, wheel straps cut, bike gone - in broad daylight on W 18th Street between 5th and 6th Ave. Submitted the police report at the 13th precinct but of course i'm not hopeful. I will continue to look online for it for sale and i will post on http://www.nycmtb.com/ but their signup process isn't working tonight. Anyone in and around the city, just please keep an eye out, this bike is not very common and a very bright color. Distinguishing marks are small chip on top middle of top tube and a Maxxis Aggressor rear tire with badly worn sidewalls - size is medium. If anyone has nycmtb or nypd connections, please let me know.

Oh man...I just realized that's a block from GF's house. Will send her the info so she can keep an eye out.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
It was Thule Doubletrack with the locking feature. Lock didn't matter, they just broke the arms. Second lock was a cable lock to the hitch itself which was a wimpy cable for NYC but was all i had. Looks like they just had big bolt cutters. Thought it would be enough in daylight for an hour or 2. So wrong. U-locks are supposedly better than cable but in NYC it really doesn't matter. In the car is best but i didn't have room (not an SUV and baby crap in car.)

@arangov3 yes, i have serial number and gave it to NYPD.
I know this sounds crazy but call and file a claim with Thule you never now

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I know this sounds crazy but call and file a claim with Thule you never now
I called Thule and while they've sent me free replacement parts in the past, looks like policy has changed. Very easy to find and purchase replacement parts on their site though - all it cost me was $38 for 2 wheel straps which includes tax and shipping because i have a freebie upright from a previous warranty claim.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I called Thule and while they've sent me free replacement parts in the past, looks like policy has changed. Very easy to find and purchase replacement parts on their site though - all it cost me was $38 for 2 wheel straps which includes tax and shipping because i have a freebie upright from a previous warranty claim.
I think he meant to try filing a claim for the bike.
Worth a shot.

Happy birthday!

trener1

Let me know if you need someone to post it on the NYCMTB Facebook page, I am a member.
I live in Brooklyn, as others have already said, never leave a nice bike on your rack.

I think he meant to try filing a claim for the bike.
Worth a shot.

Happy birthday!

ilnadi

There is no lower form of life than a bike thief.
(with no attribution to the a-hole that stole this bike), reminds me of "The Bicycle Thiefs". My father made us watch it when we were kids (long time ago), I still get sad remembering some scenes. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

johnnyrides

There is no lower form of life than a bike theif. .

I get the love of bikes on a bike forum and appreciate your endless hard work but lets get real. Its just a bike.......and an exposed one at that. Watch the news for 30 min and you'll see at least 100 lower forms of life than a bike thief. Many are even priests.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When i claimed my bike/s under home insurance, they gave me replacement value.
Not that I want to personally find out, but what do you need to provide to insurance? Receipts? Photos? Serial numbers? I'm just thinking of all the upgrades to my bike (like dropper post and new wheels) which affect overall value.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Not that I want to personally find out, but what do you need to provide to insurance? Receipts? Photos? Serial numbers? I'm just thinking of all the upgrades to my bike (like dropper post and new wheels) which affect overall value.
I didn't provide any receipt. I just gave them a picture of before and after. Since my lost was due to a fire, all the fire damaged remnants were still there. I told them to check the garage if any doubts.

Mr.Moto

I didn't provide any receipt. I just gave them a picture of before and after. Since my lost was due to a fire, all the fire damaged remnants were still there. I told them to check the garage if any doubts.

How did they come up with the replacement value?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Saw your post on Facebook. That just blows. I know you learned your lesson. Still sucks, sorry man.

Everyone should know, you can’t keep a bike that isn’t a total beater out of sight in Manhattan for more than 2 mins. This is hard reality for way too many folks. There are bike messengers who, when they see a nice bike, put the call out to a crew who come in a van and take it in 30 seconds. There ain’t no lock that will keep it safe.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sorry to hear.

I had a bmx bike stolen at gun point in Baltimore, my parents homeowners had me circle what I had from a mail order catalog as I had purchased it all from friends. That was $1,400 claim though, not the 6k GMB is looking at.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you can't but it's hard not to notice when in use, I cut rebar in a few seconds with them.

I’ve seen more than 3 videos/photos of thieves using them in broad daylight and people just walkig by like nothing is happening. Hard to approach a person who is carry a power tool. By the time someone calls police they are lonng gone.

rick81721

Lothar

When my bike got wrecked when a car hit me, I just got a hand-written receipt from Jay at Halters for what it would cost to replace my bike as configured (upgraded wheels), as well as a new helmet, shorts and Jersey that were ripped.

Top Bottom