Spoke-N-Nerds Podcast Thread

did you say you can get a refurb quarq for $300? where? iv been looking for something to put on my new (to me) road bike from august instead of running my mismatched powertap wheel which makes me have different sized tires front/rear.
stages, I thought I heard

maybe i misheard then, thats a shame, i dont have chainstay clearance on this bike for a stages :/

(or 4iiii or anything else that attached inside the crank arm)

Last edited:
@shrpshtr325 - I'll keep a weather eye out. There's nothing in that range new that's Quark-ish, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I see anything. Crank length? (I probably misspoke.)

@shrpshtr325 - I'll keep a weather eye out. There's nothing in that range new that's Quark-ish, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I see anything. Crank length? (I probably misspoke.)

Thanks, they are 172.5, i currently have an ultegra 6700 crank on there. i looked at the watteam powerbeat system, but its not compatible with my existing cranks (which kills most of the savings on it) and im not so sure on the DIY nature of it, would love to try it but not sure its worth it once i buy a new(to me?) crank to try it on

thanks, good price if it would fit, but looks like the bike im planning to put it on is a bb86 :/

On the subject of no specific subject, in Episode 36 we touch on these subjects:

Car batteries & Advanced Auto
The Dover Little Theater
Iron Cross highlights, lowlights and nightlights
The upcoming CX plans (boring)
Winter is Coming - prepare yourself
Death (on death & dying?)
Black Mirror, Star Trek (the original)
HPCX

You have been warned

On the subject of no specific subject, in Episode 36 we touch on these subjects:

Car batteries & Advanced Auto
The Dover Little Theater
Iron Cross highlights, lowlights and nightlights
The upcoming CX plans (boring)
Winter is Coming - prepare yourself
Death (on death & dying?)
Black Mirror, Star Trek (the original)
HPCX

You have been warned

I have to drive down to Chester to take the other boy back to school tonight. This couldn’t have come out at a better time.

And then this happened: EPISODE 38!
rainbowhorse.gif

more guests is always good, especially hearing how other hobbies/activities integrate (?) with cycling.

those ceramic speed bearings, i didnt get to talk to the guy at jorbafest (the tent was unattended every time i rolled by . . .) present an interesting connundrum, bc one part of the bearing should be softer than the other (sacrificial), either the balls or the race, usually the balls are easier to change than the race (can be press in ect), but knowing what material both parts are made of would make for some interesting speculation as to actual lifespan. (warning technical thought train leaving the station, if you dont care skip the rest of this).

if the balls wont be hurt by sand (which as you know is a pretty hard, and abrasive substance, it can etch glass), what are they actually made of? lets say they are some super hard ceramic material, what are the races made of? if they are the same stuff then they will wear each other out, one of them should be softer, but did they find two materials that are harder than sand that are also compatible? Do they wear slowly enough that they could simply be cleaned and repacked for (lets just say for a even number) 10 times as long a life as a regular hardened steel bearing? (yes steel bearings are all steel, but typically the race and balls are hardened to different strengths).

sorry for my technically inclined rambling, this is what i spent my car ride home thinking about while i listened to you guys go on. ill finish tomorrow OMW to work and add any additional comments.

Just finished Epi37-
@Norm on finding tv/movies: if you are on the Roku standard, it has a built in global search function- will tell you where something is, even if you are subscribed to it.
And what @TallGuy said- watch the Mr Rogers doc.

And fwiw, I enjoy hearing some audio race recap- I expect I am not alone here.

And fwiw, I enjoy hearing some audio race recap- I expect I am not alone here.

I need more. I have no memory of e37. See empty box post above.

FWIW - I think e38 is solid. You should all listen.

e39 will be littered with expletives.

Back
Top Bottom