So Who Else Finds it Amusing That Fat Bikes Can't Ride in the Snow That Well?

So if one really wants something to pedal in the snow, one should look what other industries do - they don't grab a moto with bigger tires - they grab a snowmobile.

simply purchase a track and ski kit for the bike and have at it!

img_ktrack.jpg

saw this last year - might be good, but this is nj......

Looks like a mechanical disaster to me.

That is amusing that Walmart has one now.

They also sell road bikes. And 29ers. And BMX bikes. And cruisers. And commuter bikes. And 26 inch Full-Suspension bikes. And Fixies. And Cyclocross bikes. And the one near me just started selling Rapha Clothing.

(One of these is not true.)

And yes, Brian owned a fat bike first. Albeit I'm fairly certain I've done more miles in the last 2 weeks than he has in his entire life.

-Jim.

Utah just recently legalized fat bikes but i think the Supreme Court issued a stay and sent the case back to the state courts. Go figure.

From my view the snow we see in central jersey seems to be most often gone very soon or less than 6". For this my 29er fat Krampus is the perfect tool in my eyes.

I had an alloy Beargrease and I thought I liked it. I then demoed a krampus and immediately sold off the BG. I prefer the normal width bb, taller and faster rolling tires and the familiar 29er feel.

It has proven to be very good in up to 6" of snow and beyond that I would much prefer my XC skis anyway.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, allow me to opine based on extensive snow/ice riding experience here and elsewhere in the N.E.

In fresh untracked snow, pretty much any width tire (to Utah’s point) is going to be effective at biting down and achieving decent traction, with width being of increased importance as the trail starts to climb (though all tires will have their limits (fatties included) eventually in this situation, typically at 6” or thereafter).

Similarly, when the trail is FIRMLY packed down EVENLY all around (heavy foot, snowshoe, XC ski, tires, etc), to the point where it is simply a channel in the snow, tires of pretty much any width will suffice.

Where the fattie tires excel is when the snow is unevenly packed/lumpy, and fluffy stuff is interspersed with boot/hoof/showshoe traffic. Each print represents a harder (packed) spot on the trail, with fluffy loose snow around each. When a skinnier tires goes from fluff to these packed spots, the front wheel deflects, causing the rider to have to saw at the bars, which in turn can cause the bike to go off track and/or slide out. A fattie tire is much less likely to deflect and essentially “bridges” the bike’s front end from boot print to boot print, kinda like a steamroller, requiring far less effort from the rider and enabling him/her to stay upright and keep pedaling.

This was the situation this past weekend on many trails, including the one I rode. I was able to ride for 4 hours on 98% of the terrain. If I had ridden a regular MTB, I could have covered about 40%. Despite the few times we get this sort of snow in NJ, this for me was the difference between riding and either staying home or paying $80+ to go boarding. And we all know riding wins;)

Put another way for those that don’t snow-ride: Think about taking bike with CX tires through a rock garden vs using a bike with regular MTB tires. The former has a higher likelihood of getting thrown off track. The latter would surely be a better experience with a higher degree of success.

I'm terribly sorry about your penis Kevin, but being bitter won't make it better. Try buying a pickup truck, I hear it helps.

-Jim.

I just wants to make it clear that i'm way more bitterer than Kev(so much so that i try not to post anymore), I have the coolest pickup in the world and I'm hung like a belltower. Continue....:D

I just wants to make it clear that i'm way more bitterer than Kev(so much so that i try not to post anymore), I have the coolest pickup in the world and I'm hung like a belltower. Continue....:D

Yeah but your pick-up is so little.

I live near the Delaware River. Should I trade in my normal commuter for a fatbike on the way home? I hear the ice is invading. Not sure if I'll be able to safely make it home.

Back
Top Bottom