So Who Else Finds it Amusing That Fat Bikes Can't Ride in the Snow That Well?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Fat bikes have their limitations too.

I took the Fat Bike out today after work. Had the tires deflated, so I was almost riding on rims. It was very slow going and in a couple of spots the snow was too deep to ride.

Hit the Reservation again this evening. This time with tires with some tread on them!! Still had to hike-a-bike through the Seeleys Pond section as not many venture over that way and it still wasn't rideable.

Just trying to kick the week off right :)

every once in a while, the snow is perfect and the speed/fun is absolutely staggering. Especially bombing downhill and carving like you are on skis. It can be awesome.
I use mine mainly just for a winter bike. I don't feel bad in the mud because it doesn't rut the trails hardly at all (in the north, limited mud anyway) and mine is setup with an internal hub, on a steel frame. It's just bulletproof so I don't worry about freezing to death with a broken bike in the ice.

I find it hilarious. The boys at the shop WILL NOT leave me alone on these fadbikes. I'll get one when I'm 70 and want the go anywhere, slow, duece and a half bicycle. Just not a good use of fund$.

every once in a while, the snow is perfect and the speed/fun is absolutely staggering. Especially bombing downhill and carving like you are on skis. It can be awesome.

Yes, I think many people have the unrealistic expectation that they will float on top off soft, dry, unpacked snow like we just got. I haven't ridden a fat bike in snow, but for the snow we just got, I would prefer my cross bike over my mtn bike since the skinny tires will cut through better.

Yes, I think many people have the unrealistic expectation that they will float on top off soft, dry, unpacked snow like we just got. I haven't ridden a fat bike in snow, but for the snow we just got, I would prefer my cross bike over my mtn bike since the skinny tires will cut through better.

I think it actually shines the best at multi condition days in the winter. Wet, mud, spots of now. It just becomes a very predictable bike.
Actually one of the other super fun things I've done with it is bomb down gravel roads in Miniwaska in the summer. On the loose gravel it's awesome. Again, just very predictable. It's really hard to have one of those moments where you are flying, and then your face is in the rocks. On the fat bike, you can be flying on the gravel, be going to fast and it very predictably starts drifting. It'll actually oversteer in a very predictable way and it's really fun.
plus it makes me not want to kill myself waiting for my wife because the fat bike is so slow ;)

ae8ngek.gif

Fixed it for you;)

Seriously though, while fatties aren't infallible, I have been able to ride way more terrain on a fattie in my 18 years of snow/ice biking than I was able to on my regular-tired MTB's, plus now I can ride beaches with no issue. I still prefer a regular MTB though on anything other than snow and sand.

I really never woke up and thought, "Damn, sucks I can't ride my bike on the beach today."

Sorry, I'm not helping.

I'm terribly sorry about your penis Kevin, but being bitter won't make it better. Try buying a pickup truck, I hear it helps.

-Jim.

I'm terribly sorry about your penis Kevin, but being bitter won't make it better. Try buying a pickup truck, I hear it helps.

-Jim.

says the person who rides with the biggest tires one can find. Do you forget i still ride a puny bike with 26" tires?

Second biggest tires, the bigger ones won't fit in my frame. You own that bike because the last time you rode in the woods that's all that was available. I can claim I have a 24" bike, because I do, doesn't mean I ride it though.

-Jim.

You own that bike because the last time you rode in the woods that's all that was available. I can claim I have a 24" bike, because I do, doesn't mean I ride it though.

Fair enough. You get a pass anyways because it is your job to promote products we need. Still doesn't change the irony that fat bikes are sold as snow bikes and they don't do that much better.

Back
Top Bottom