Shooting the GAP ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
37074745434_7d46cf5dba_b.jpg

Posted about this on FB yesterday, but figured I'd tell a longer story here for anyone who might be interested in a rode that's somewhere between a typical MTB ride and let's say something @liong71er (get it?)

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks,and my wife only has a few of those days off, so I had a few days to myself. I'd been wanting to do the full ride of the Great Allegheny Passageway for a few years, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity.

For those who don't know, the GAP is actually two separate trails that connect Washington D.C. and Pittsburgh - the C&O Trail, which runs from D.C. to Cumberland, MD and then the actual GAP itself, which runs form Cumberland up to Pittsburgh. You can do this ride in either direction, but I chose to go from D.C. to Pittsburgh because that made it easier logistically. I drove down to D.C. Sunday morning and parked at Reagan Airport in the Economy Lot. I picked up the start of the C&O Trail in Georgetown via the Mount Vernon Trail that runs right through the airport.

A few years ago, I rode across the state of NY on the Erie Canal Trail, a cinder path that (mostly) runs straight through the center of the state east-to-west. I say "mostly" because there are sections that require going out on some fairly active roads. That's not the case with the C&O or GAP trails - except for maybe a quarter mile section in McKeesport, PA, both trials are entirely self-contained off-road pathways linking the two cities. The trails are, however, decidedly different from one another, so I'll describe the two of them separately.

C&O Trail
The C&O Trail starts out as an elevated canal path running right out of Georgetown northwest toward Leesburg. It remains that way for a while as it runs along some of the more popular kayaking areas of the Potomac. Eventually, however, the trail starts to switch over to something a bit more rugged. Eventually, the majority of the trail becomes doubletrack, kind of like poorly maintained Jeep road. That's not a dig against it -- it actually makes the ride much more interesting. There are a lot of roots and, at least this week, there was a lot of switching back and forth between the two tracks because of standing puddles.

37526426170_ed3c3bdec3_b.jpg

I saw a lot of kayakers in full body armor heading for sections of the Potomac like this one early on the C&O Trail.

37114408873_f057413e9f_b.jpg

Double track on the C&O Trail

I wouldn't say the riding is difficult in and of itself, but it's certainly harder on the body than, say, the kind of cinder path that was common on the Erie Canal Trail.

The C&O Trail runs 186 miles. Sunday, I rode to mile 100 at Williamsport, MD (which put me around 107 for the day since the ride from the airport to the trailhead was about 7 miles.) On Monday, I finished off the rest of the trail from Williamsport, MD to Cumberland. Most of the Monday ride was rooty double track.

GAP Trail
Monday, around 2:00 or so, I finished off the C&O Trail and the started the GAP Trail. My goal for Monday was to reach the town of Confluence, which meant a 150 mile day. I knew that would be a long day by any stretch, but add to that the climb up to the Eastern Divide that begins the GAP and the very odd and noticeable instant change in temperature as I transferred from one trail to the next, and I realized my goal of finishing the day's ride before 6 pm was out the window. The climb is easy as most climbs go, but it is a very steady 2-3% for 25 miles. That would probably have been a lot easier if I wasn't 90 miles into my day riding a 36:16 singlespeed. As it was, I was hurting by the time I hit the Divide Tunnel at the top. As soon as I went over the top, though, the rest of the ride (and I do mean the whole rest of the ride) got a lot easier. I did have to stop immediately to put on a base layer because of the cold wind. I think that's a characteristic of the area and not just a coincidence of that day and time because the area has a lot of wind farms on top of the mountains.

37735252086_f9043fd0c1_b.jpg

Wind turbine along the climb to the Eastern Divide

Most of the GAP Trail is super smooth trail as in the photo above. The only exception would probably be some of the leaf-covered and bumpier sections near Ohiopyle. But you wouldn't mind those sections at all because the area around Ohiopyle is some of the most scenic along the entire ride.

37752588302_db41331cd6_b.jpg

Ohiopyle Trail
37074745534_2a9a97b5a1_b.jpg

Scenery ain't so bad out there ...

I reached Confluence Monday night around 7, and checked into my room at the Smith House B&B. I cannot recommend that place enough if you ever find yourself in the area. The owner, Amber, was super nice and went out of her way to accommodate my odd arrival time. They had a garage for my bike that I could access at any time and while food options in town were limited, the B&B does serve a very nice breakfast every morning.

I finished off the last 90 miles of the ride on Tuesday, arriving in Pittsburgh by 2:45. It's a bit tricky to navigate to the actual terminus at Point State Park. I took one wrong turn, but was able to work it out pretty quickly. You want to follow the trail to downtown, and head straight into the confluence of the three rivers to find it. One final note on the GAP: as you reach McKeesport, the trail becomes mostly paved for the last 16 miles to Pittsburgh. Aside from the wind off the rivers, it's a pretty easy finish to the ride.

This ride is completely doable for anyone with MTB experience. The only limiting factor would be time - depending on how much of it you have, it can be a challenging ride or a very nice scenic pedal through a beautiful part of the country. Regardless of that, though, there are a few things to be aware of before you attempt it:

First, if you can plan stop-to-stop on a daily basis, do so. Knowing how far you'll go and sticking to it takes a lot of guesswork our of your ride. I only had one unalterable part of my plan - I needed to finish by Tuesday. That meant bigger miles each day, and the trail isn't always very friendly to that kind of approach. For example, on my long Monday ride, I had to choose between only two options - a 130 mile day or a 150 mile day. Nothing between that would suffice because there was nowhere to stop between Rockwood (130 mile day) and Confluence (150). And not all of the hotels that are available are included in the guides they publish. I originally planned to camp but had to forego that when my single tent was unavailable (it was partially destroyed by accident in my basement.) The first night, I managed to find a Red Roof Inn in Williamsport that was not in the guide. If I hadn't found that, I'd have probably had to ride another 25 miles to the next hotel I knew from the guide. The point is, I was at the mercy of what was available wherever I landed. Planning a specific distance per day based on where you want to stay is probably a better way to go if that's available to you.

Second, always have food and drink. That seems obvious, but some of the places you'll count on to get food may not be available. A lot of the towns are very small and everything closes early, or isn't open certain days of the week. For example, my expected stop in a town called Oldtown for water turned out to be a bust when I discovered that the only store near the trailhead isn't open on Mondays. I had to push on without water for another 10 miles until I found a campground with a pump that had iodine-treated water.

Third, be smart how you carry your gear. Full bike packing set-up = smart. Wearing a backpack instead of using a bar bag = dumb. I was dumb. I will not ever be dumb (that way) again. I think my upper back will be sore forever, and having an extra 20 lbs. on my body made riding out of the saddle pretty unpleasant on my quads and forced me into a sometimes uncomfortable position.

Finally, if you can do it, do it. It's a beautiful ride and worth the time it takes, however long you can do it. Here's a photo dump to give you a taste of what's out there ...

37526031530_4ed51f5058_b.jpg

37074744554_4aff04b5d5_b.jpg

37752582992_1d69fb2f94_b.jpg

37752579782_9aed1d33d1_b.jpg

37752574242_3ec8e43a6e_b.jpg

37784349241_445bca0cc3_b.jpg

Super cool adventure! You didn't specifically mention upper body issues (other than "pack back") so I guess its safe to say you're totally mended.

Awesome ride, thanks for sharing! Looks like you planned it well, despite the few issues you noted. So now you know for the next one....

I've always wanted to do a ride or 2 like this, but I never executed when I had the time. Some day, maybe when the kids are in college?

Can't wait to do these epic rides when my kids leave the roost in few years
another incredible journey and write up Martin
what was your gearing? any issues with the EBB?

Cool journey and nice write up! Great to have a trip you want to do and to go an execute.

Are you taking a train back to Union Station? I didn't recall reading how you plan to return to your car at Reagan.

Cool journey and nice write up! Great to have a trip you want to do and to go an execute.

Are you taking a train back to Union Station? I didn't recall reading how you plan to return to your car at Reagan.

Oh yeah! Sorry - I forgot to mention that part!

Yes, to get back to Reagan, I took the Amtrak out of Pittsburgh - they have roll-on service for bikes at every stop on the Chicago-D.C. line. A few thing worth mentioning about that: if you didn't want to do the whole ride, there is Amtrak roll-on service in Connersville (about halfway though the GAP) and Cumberland (where GAP and C&O meet.) So if you wanted to do only one of the trails, that's an option as well - DC to Cumberland on the C&O or Pittsburgh to Cumberland on the GAP. Pittsburgh to D.C. on the train is a long ride (about 8 hours) but you can hang out in the lounge with the seats facing the full-length windows as long as you like - it's a very scenic ride. To get from the Union Station in DC back to Reagan is an easy si x mile role through the grand mall area (you head out of the station toward NW Louisiana and then pick up Constitution to head toward the Washington Monument. Pass the Monument heading toward the Lincoln Memorial and pick up the Mount Vernon Trail across the bridge behind the Lincoln Memorial. There are signs that direct you to the Mount Vernon Trail around the Lincoln so it's not difficult to find.

As a final note, possibly the only "bad" part of the whole trip was the drive home. I hit gridlock traffic four times on the drive - twice right near D.C. (which I think is always an issue) and then again near Baltimore and coming into Philly. It took me almost 5 hours to drive home!

37114340293_513485fa63_b.jpg

23931367538_fe357edfcc_b.jpg

Heading southwest away from the grand mall on the Mount Vernon Trail toward Crystal City and Reagan Airport. Those two helicopters were circling over the city the whole time I was riding through.

I ran a 36:16 on my Chinese Carbon rigid SS. Rigid felt like a good call for this ride - even with the roots. My arms were a bit sore yesterday, but nothing too bad. I had no issues with the EBB, but my non-drive crank arm did fall off once (!!!) at the start of the climb to the Eastern Divide. I was able to fix it, but I'm going to have to replace the end cap because it has a crack that nearly goes straight through the thread. I wasn't too worried about it holding once I cleared the climb, but I did check it and re-tighten it Tuesday morning.

missed this in the first skim

"36:16 singlespeed" crazy gearing for that distance

Love it. Have to work my saddle time back up, but would love to do the GAP/abandoned railroad grades, etc around here.

It's too bad they don't have roll-on from philly->dc. wouldn't need to be on the acela.

Did you look into the cost differential of renting a car NJ>DC then PA>NJ? Kinda sucks to to an 8hr train ride + drive back to NJ. Will report my findings in 2035.

This sounds really cool, would be great to try sometime.
I think I'd need a few more days as I'd likely do more like 60-70 miles a day as opposed to 100+ miles.

Back
Top Bottom