the journey of the boar in years 2013 - ......

liong71er

20160806_125714.jpg

Impromtu bike riding,
goes nowhere,sleep nowhere and bike anywhere...oh what a wonderful life it is enjoy while I able.

liong71er

Wow..is that long?the absence from my own blog...

Here what my adventure on bicycles take me...

On Thursday afternoon at 5:30 pm I abord bus to Pittsburgh from chinatown
traveling time took about 8hrs
I tried to sleep but couldn,so I stay up thru out the trip bus finally arrived in Pittsburgh at 1:30am that would be my third time in that city again on the same purpose and conditions.

Why?
You may wondering I came to Pittsburgh
It is to joining a ride called Crush The Commonwealth look iup on Internet if you curious I knew about this ride from Spencer its not an official bike race across Pennsylvania but it is a "race" for hardcore biker from Pitt and Philly areas now spread widely to others such as pro racer,but mainly hipster bike messenger Randoneur and myself a self proclaim "adventure cyclist" that's how I like to label myself,lol
Ok,it is too early and those cyclist will not show up until 4:30am so I have to entertain my self a bit by riding around the city and hang out at 7-Eleven until time is up
The Crowd are getting big now my guess is around 30 something cyclist partake this ride at 5am we all rlol out towards GAP trails from our meet up wich is at Poit State Park Fountain
We follow three river trails towards GAP trails about 20 miles paved bike path ended now we hit dirt road on GAP trail I was with the front group of 6 cyclist including myself, 10 miles later I got dropped we were going over 20mph
The lack of Training and lack of sleep really got into me,I rode by myself until a group of another 6 cyclist caught up to me then I latch onto their wheel and we take turn pulling until we arrived at connesville probably around miles 50ish
After we arrived in Connersville the group went looking to refuel and I kept on cranking by myself then another cyclist came passed by me and he dissappear and I rode by myself again until hours later the twin brother passed be like i'm standing still(they are pro by the way they finished 28hrs)

Then finally I arrived in Rockwood another starting point of this race from here we all will follow PA bicycles S route all the to Valley Forge before ended in Philly by following the last section on Schuylkill River Trail
At Rockwood I refuel at the nearest restaurant wich is still enroute as I was in that restaurant I knew the rest of the group will soon arrived,they did and they didn't hang only 2 of the guys were there with me,it took about 45 minutes to spend time waiting and eating,after that I start cranking all the way to Breezewood
I manage a good time 177 miles in 11 hrs nonstop only 1 hrs elapse time

But,..I have to pay the price
I soon faded and weakened then I soon die at a motel in breezewood
And there is more soon after I went into the motel room suddenly I feel not well
I rushing into the bathroom and throw all up the that I ate in Rockwood and between,it was at 7pm finishing taking bath I went straight to bed with all my muscle angry and cramping punishing me for punishing them working hard earlier on the day.

Woke up at 5am
Feeling a little better but not fresh energy
Went to sheetz wich is only few hundreds yards from where i stay last night to get a cup of coffee and a donut and bought some supply,outside I met few of my fellows countrymen we say Hi and Low.
Now,..from here is what really what this trip is all abut
It is not about bike racing but is abut an abandoned turnpike a highway built when American crave super fast roadway trying to out do the Autobahn
From the sheet it is very close to locate by using Google maps I was able to locate the entrance it was still dark at the time
Roadway still wet from thunderstorm last night ( glad I was in motel sleeping not riding)
I finally came to this place,this is why I joined the crush the commonwealth
It is exactly what I watched on you tube,but experience it yourself in the real location is totally different I was so happy to be able rode inside those two tunnel and felt if there's anything weird about those tunnel,..disappointed nothing happens I don't feels any super natural sensation normal if I was feeling some super natural I can feel it something unique usually and out of ordinary with the surrounding or with my body and mind,.instead I feel Fun and happy riding through those tunnel.

Well,..now
Time to go home now
So,I star cranking again but shit I make a wrong turn intend go left I go right wich is coz me about a mile
Back on track I saw blinking light from afar after I got lost after the tunnel exit
Another CTC rider,like me he also spent a night in motel we chat a bit then we wishes our self Goodluck and goodbye
After that we never seen each other again after I left him on a long climb,as time and day goes by where I spend my day mostly sitting and keep on cranking there were time I wish I was in my apartment and sleeping all day long,but..every time I look around me and found myself in that beautiful landscape and all animals and peoples that I met along the ride its makes me feel gratefully and happy to be out side and riding my bike even tho my but and my shoulder is keep angry with me..

Few hrs into riding after exiting from abandoned turnpike I got rained on for about almost an hours somewhere around Burnt Cabins but it feels good to be riding in the rain in country side climbing the mountains and seeing animals along the farmlands passing old rustic barn checking out stream crossing or bridges all that makes me feel not tired even tho i'm desperately needed to find a store to get some foods and water
And when I did find a place that look like it will sell water turn out not to be,a bar at the roadside in suburban? I went inside while outside parked big puck up truck and three Harley inside iS not really crowded they are all busy chatting and sipping their sorrow away after long and hard work in a fields and I can relate to that too,after long hours on my bike I need something to fresh in me up..
Now,the lady is still busy on the phone (what I crap customer service) I waited more than enough,6 mins..
Then I walk out,.
"Do you want iced cold water"?an 50 something big gentlemencome from behind asking me that(,disbelief)
I soon replied "yes,sir I would love that"
"Follow me"
He walk right up to his big white pick up truck,opened door and reaching into the cooler and I saw watery dripping iced cold water just like he said before,
I grab it and never let it go,..and then he ask me again "you want this or a mountain dew!?"
Holly crap,.a mountain dew I thought to my self
But,a beggar can't be a choosy
So,I said "no,thank you this will do"!

Well,ok! He said

I thanked him
And i'm on my way again
5 miles later,I was out into big and busy crossroads again where the heaven and he'll reside i'm nearing the Chambersburg now,.so I keep on pedaling looking something to my liking,such as Asian foods..but too hard to find
Instead I stop at KFC
I also found out my cell phone baterry was dead long ago right after I took it out during the rain and that was few hrs ago
20170429_064521.jpg

Abandoned Turnpike Tunnel in Breezewood,PA

After fueling up continue riding towards graetenburg near Michaud state park after that it is almost all downhill towards York but not Quite as hilly as before but it still got a lot Rollers to get over with
Around 6pm arrived in Columbia after crossing bridges from York and somehow I felt I don't want to keep going anymore
Tried to look for motel but 4 of them is booked,I finally got one room available wich is coz me a fortune but I have no choice so I check in to comfort Inn in Columbia at 7pm and call it a day at mileage 322 miles

20170430_094010.jpg

Today is Sunday 4/30 at 7 am I check out from hotel and will be riding to Philadelphia to finish this trip
But,before i continue on let'S go back to when I check in to hotel yesterday
So,what happened was is that I puke again,.AGAIN? WTH is wrong with you?yeah,I wonder myself I don't feel sick or tired when I was riding but when I stoped riding and wanted to take rest at the end of the day then it happens,well I leave it that way as is..and then again on Sunday in a train station bathroom good thing there is no foods coming out coz I don't eat any foods.

Ok,now let's go back to riding from Columbia nonstop to Philly
Yes I did that the last day non stop riding meaning I don't stop in restaurant and eat I only drinks coz I can't take it anymore every time I ate I throw up
It is never happen before,perhaps I was pushing myself too hard or I just get a stomach viruses.
20170430_091722.jpg

Lancaster farmlands roads

20170430_093343.jpg

Green pasture in lancaster the land of Amish and Mennonite,I notices the Amish went to Curch on their Buggy meanwhile their counterpart driving Cars I think the Amish must step up their game.

After riding non stop I finally made it to the Liberty Bell Hall and I must take a picture with a sign of Liberty Bell in it as a way of Finishing the Race or Ride in my case,posted on social media such as instagram,Facebook or Twitter tell the world you have biked across PA state and now you can Brag about but you ain't got no medal,prizes money or coverage in media nothing only your family and friends will appreciate and congratulate you,..if you're not attention seeker type of person don't do this and stay in your caves.

Liong

Https://www.strava.com/activities/948077234

20170430_155739.jpg

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

@liong71er this is great and you well deserve calling yourself an "adventure cyclist". If anyone contested that their just a flat out jerk.

I've done the Bike route s as the beginning of a larger goal. The larger goal being all the Routes PA has to offer. With me having three kids it will take me much longer to accomplish but it will get done. I really want to do route Y next for it cuts thru a very quiet area of PA. For an extended Tour all the routes can be connected in one way or the other.

Here is a link should you ever decide to Conquer the Commonwealth :cool:

http://www.bikepa.com/routes/

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
This is a great write-up - nice job all around!

I know a few people who tried and bailed this year. This is a bucket-list ride for me - just haven't been able to work out the logistics yet.

liong71er

This is a great write-up - nice job all around!

I know a few people who tried and bailed this year. This is a bucket-list ride for me - just haven't been able to work out the logistics yet.
Thanks
Yes I have heard about that too few folks weren't finish and I bet you can crush it in under 30 hrs too.

liong71er

@liong71er this is great and you well deserve calling yourself an "adventure cyclist". If anyone contested that their just a flat out jerk.

I've done the Bike route s as the beginning of a larger goal. The larger goal being all the Routes PA has to offer. With me having three kids it will take me much longer to accomplish but it will get done. I really want to do route Y next for it cuts thru a very quiet area of PA. For an extended Tour all the routes can be connected in one way or the other.

Here is a link should you ever decide to Conquer the Commonwealth :cool:

http://www.bikepa.com/routes/
Thanks spencer
I have ideas on how to ride the route,..zig zag up and down

qclabrat

Liong,
I guess you just ride your bike to Chinatown and put the bike in the luggage compartment in the bottom?
Do you need a bag to cover the bike? Can you provide some logistics on how this is done, thanks

liong71er

No cover or boxes and no charges for the bikes.almost all of those chinatown busses are the same in the way they handle luggage
Just throw your bicycles under that compartment
You know how Chinese style works

But,if anything happens to your belongings,don't try to sue them or you'll be laughing at.
I have a principle of never blame nobody except yourself and take care your own mistakes

Last edited:

liong71er

Gravel grinding on plus bike
The Farmer's daughter gravel grinder,..
As what title says it is a long and hard day on a bicycle this equivalent to riding a century on road tho this is only 65 miles in distance,the route goes thru rail trail,mtb trails,hiking trails wich involving crossing two feet deep of water stream and rocky also wet roots a perfect environment for MTBikers or like minded cyclist.

I'm Not recommended anyone to bring their road bike,you will be fine on most gravel roads but you'll be suffering on off-road section.

it has six off-roads section

A cyclocross bikes works great and MTB works even greater

So,I had so much fun
Trails is awesome gravel roads is what we crave these days,and there's one long climb on gravel roads seem endless but at top of the climb on Massachusetts side,you'll hand it out a cup of ice cream as a reward after that long as climbs

The views along the route is stunning
Farms as your eyes can see and the smells of manure and composes are expected such aroma that we can't find in the city

The rest stop is fully stocked with drinks and power drinks soda all are excellent and plenty foods for all riders needs

after finishing the ride delicious also will be serve and quite healthy too

Beers and lots of beers
A hat,bid and glass as a gift for joining this rides

For only under 70 bucks you get all that for me is a win win deal
(Not trying to promoting this,but just helping this event to grow)

20170521_080250.jpg
20170521_082442.jpg
these two pictures is still looking fresh before hundreds of cyclist rode them flat and I was able to rode it first
20170521_091253.jpg
cyclist waiting their turn to rode down a short steep onto fit trail wich is an abandoned rail trail (see above pictures)
20170521_103116.jpg
the typical unpaved roads in rural upstate new york,they call that gravel roads
20170521_134003.jpg
this is on the Massachusetts side,after that long as climb or after I ate ice cream that causing my tummy ache
20170521_134017.jpg
20170521_152714.jpg
a cyclist rode thru a cutain of trees into an open fields of grass and weed with stunning mountain in the distance
20170521_152823.jpg
cresting down these grassy path 6 more miles to finish line from here
Https://www.strava.com/activities/999567389

Last edited:

liong71er

From NJ2IL

Thoughts
From October 1st through 13th I was on solo bikepacking trips from Clifton to Chicago the reason is simple I like to visit places along the Route I traversing by on bicycles camping or sleep in motel along the way, there's are few places I like to visit,..The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH and The Bean on Chicago,IL
Those are two major landmark that I like to visit,i could do these easily by flying in or by driving but, isn't more Fun and more adventurous of I just doing it on my bicycles? I can do this on foot too if I have more time....
Since I got 20 days of from work,i thought I could do this in 15days but it turn out I finished two days earliest

Route

Stitching a Route is fairly easy, a Google bicycles or walking Route will takes care of that
So, here's the breakdown,.
From my apartment in Clifton I took State highway 46 west it has wide shoulder to ride on I have been riding on it many times only in mine hill that doses not have shoulder, when reached allamuchy areas I then took Sussex Branch trail and then connect with Paullinskill Valley Rail Trail or LWG trail follow that all the way towards PA borders
From PA borders
I mix SR highway with some quite PA backroads to get to Slatington,PA
Here,i will take on D&L Rail Trail to Jim Thorpe, White Haven and finally Wilkes-Barre
The D&L trail is a 150 miles rail trail starting from Bristol to Wilkes-Barre although not 100% completed yet but on about 10 miles that the trails is ended at mileage 140 before reaching city of Wilkes-Barre
So,i continued on that "planed" remaining mileage to Wilkes-Barre it was Awesome

From Wilkes-Barre my Next Route is to get to Williamsport and then eventually to Jersey Shore
When in Jersey Shore,i Take Pine Creek Rail trail all the way to its northern terminus(wellsboro) 62miles distance
After reaching big town of Wellsoro, continuing on US 6 or known as The Grand Army Republican Highway winch is also PA bike Route Y it goes from Matamoras,NY to Border Ohio in Ashtabula for over 400 miles this part of Pennsylvania is a very scenic Route compare to PA bike Route S that I'ved been on few month ago, more hilly, it goes over Appalachian and Allegheny
It has wide shoulder although some part of City or Town doesn't have shoulder but overall it is still nice route to be on
And one thing to be take into consideration, if you wanted to ride across PA using this Route,. you'll be encountered Big Rig passing you by on High speed mostly are Oil Tankers type Semi, but most of them aware of cyclist on that Route, so when they pass they will give you very generous room so that giving the cyclist a sense of relieve or a little comfort, mostly all the motorist passing with care.

Once,i get to Border of PA and OH in a town of Ashtabula OH
Then continue on a different Route, the Ohio DOT has their own type of biking route system winch similar to PA's bike Route
So,.i follow their bike route
The Ohio Coastal Trail that's the route name, it basically following the coast of Great lakes and this is not specific enclosed biking trails or bike path rather it's combination of Highway, County roads and backroads some of it utilize bike path too
But, mostly on Urban Roads or Highway
Bit, like in PA drivers in Ohio also nice, whenever they drive by me they either wait patiently and then gave me huge room to pass more than 4ft that requires by their states Law

Now, after days biking I finally almost crossing into Indiana,the Indiana state line are shorter than PA and Ohio so when I crossed the Line I don't even know it..
Before, crossing into Indiana border I switches Ohio Coastal Bike Route to more quitter country roads
It goes by Mennonites Farmlands, but I have to deal with horse poop all along those backroads
It was so quite,.. when riding stretches of 2 to 4 miles of roads only one or two cars approaching
And it also flat and long, quite boring..it making me missed climbing and swooping turn or switchbacks climbs in our state

In Indiana Farmlands backroads most of their roads are unpaved, gravel dirt roads
Or farm roads
It is quite a works riding on dirt with heavy bicycle rather rode on smooth paved roads
Well, maybe uncles I'm riding a gravel grinders type of bikes that will makes me less works harder
But, it was beautiful and also less boring, the landscapes is much more hillier and long rolling stretchers of farm backroads and huge tract of open space farmland, but..there's drawback to it
It's so windy, the wind is so much stronger and I have to fight the headwind not to mentioned I had to rain in the rain ever since from Ohio to Indiana two days in a row

After crossing Indiana
This time I have to frequently changing the route accordingly, because Google maps always direct me to follow highway wich doesn't have shoulder, at one time I rode on very busy highway almost like riding on Interstate 80 but it has wide shoulder and bicycles are allowed so I take that for many miles riding on it, but when it turn to whole lot sketchier only then I switch to ride on backroads route but it becomes more mileage to cover

Almost, crossing into Illinois
Landscapes and landmarks are changing from rural, to industrial and then to urban and eventually turn into a big metropolitan areas
All of this by following mostly on SR 20 and SR 6 starting from Ohio all the way to Illinois
But,with the mixes of backroads, bike path,rail trail and farm roads so,..when thing get scarier if I solely following suggested Google maps route, improvised and commonsense is critically needed

The Numbers

1050 miles
13 days of riding everyday
8 days sleeping in campground
1 night stealth camp
4 days sleeping in motel
$$$$ amount dollars spent (foods,clothes,fees,hotel,motel,shopping,etc)
5 flats
$200 cost for replacing new cellphone damage by riding in the rain
2000+ pictures taken during this trips
+/-100.000 calories was consumed during this trips,, could be more
2 days rode in the rain

Priceless
Experiences
Time spend on it and live in it
Meeting with new good folks along the way
Money well spent
The feeling of happy and bitter when its over
Safely returned home to family