Scratch on stanchion

I scratched it while trying to track stand. Patooey! Lol
df72c2e9f2f6497effff82f0ffffe904.jpg

Clear nail polish works to fill in that scrapes if they aint to deep, after the deburring mentioned in the earlier post.
Yeah.. saw that on @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST 's post.
Mike at Wyckoff said if it aint spitting out oil, its prolly ok and the scratches are high enough that the frequency of the bushings contacting it won't be too often.
He basically said scratch it up more and then bring it back when it happens. Just make sure to bring it in for servicing at the correct intervals.

Nonetheless... I think I should be able to make it better to last longer with either nail polish or resin. When I have time, I will give it a go.

Clear nail polish works to fill in that scrapes if they aint to deep, after the deburring mentioned in the earlier post.
+1 for nail polish. Fill in the scratches then polish smooth with fine sand paper. My stanchions have met rock many times.

Low on travel. Not sure how this happened on the inside. Flinging a rock?
It’s showing wear on the black stanchion (vertical streak). No leaking. Recommendation is still nail polish? Pike fork. 😕
D1743A5A-FB7C-4DA2-8963-E8D2D0B69D7E.jpeg

Looks like something jammed there. Pull the lowers, and clean the stanchion really well, then file the burr flush. Clean with acetone, followed by isopropanol, then fill above the level of the tube with super glue. Once it cures, rough it down close to the surface with a file, then use a high grit paper to bring it all the way down.

Question, That would mean the black would get sanded to metal/silver? Is the black just paint of some kind of special coating like kashima? What’s high grit... 200s or 1000?

Question, That would mean the black would get sanded to metal/silver? Is the black just paint of some kind of special coating like kashima? What’s high grit... 200s or 1000?
If the nic is showing silver, yes, it will sand to silver. It is likely anodized black. 400-600 should do you well.

The black is just dye used in the anodizing process. You can use black model paint or nail polish to fill it after knocking the burrs off if you don't want to see the silver. By high grit think 1000 to 2500.

If the nic is showing silver, yes, it will sand to silver. It is likely anodized black. 400-600 should do you well.
The black is just dye used in the anodizing process. You can use black model paint or nail polish to fill it after knocking the burrs off if you don't want to see the silver. By high grit think 1000 to 2500.

Yes, above 1000, wet. The idea is that the acrylic fill from the superglue is WAY softer than the aluminum, so it will be removed preferentially (and it won't take forever, even with 1000 grit.).

*edit*

I do these kinds of repairs--strictly when necessary--using a metal cutting riffler file (you could use a needle file, too). They remove so little material that there is little danger of going past the anodizing, and allows you to control what you are removing. They allow you to cut the majority of the acrylic away, so you aren't sanding for an excessively long amount of time.

Last edited:
sorry for another ? but i'm just not confident about this DIY...
What kind of file are we talking about here. Home depot/Lowes link?

sorry for another ? but i'm just not confident about this DIY...
What kind of file are we talking about here. Home depot/Lowes link?

The General set is okay for most things you'll do with them, unless you are using them professionally (in which case, you'd likely have them already).

They might not be in stock in that configuration, but they usually have something. Local industrial supply probably has them in stock, too.

Riffler files are good too, but each file can cost upwards of $50 (and usually $75+). Unless you are making jewelry/are looking for them at estate sales/swap meets, you aren't going to find them for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom