Science is looking up

Sky gazers are about to be treated to a celestial event that hasn't been observed in almost 70 years and won't come again for many years to come.
The "record-breaking" supermoon slated for Nov. 14, known as the Beaver Moon or Frost Moon, will be exceptionally large and bring with it higher than normal tides.
Appearing up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than an average full moon, as noted by sciencealert.com, November's supermoon could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime event for many.

https://weather.com/science/space/news/november-beaver-super-moon

Sky gazers are about to be treated to a celestial event that hasn't been observed in almost 70 years and won't come again for many years to come.
The "record-breaking" supermoon slated for Nov. 14, known as the Beaver Moon or Frost Moon, will be exceptionally large and bring with it higher than normal tides.
Appearing up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than an average full moon, as noted by sciencealert.com, November's supermoon could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime event for many.

https://weather.com/science/space/news/november-beaver-super-moon
Years, the 13th is my b-day, better not be cloudy Mother Nature.

Didn't we have a supermoon in the summer of ''15?

Years, the 13th is my b-day, better not be cloudy Mother Nature.

Didn't we have a supermoon in the summer of ''15?

there were 4 supermoons this year - they will need to change the name, cause their marketing is getting old.
this one coming up is the closest in a 6 year span.

HB - cause i'll forget.

there were 4 supermoons this year - they will need to change the name, cause their marketing is getting old.
this one coming up is the closest in a 6 year span.

HB - cause i'll forget.
Octobers full moon seemed particularly bright for a number of nights

Nice viewing from my front porch around 5:30 - southeast, and a bit of an uncomfortable neck tilt up to 70deg.
no 'shooting star' types, but lots of little flares - 1 every couple of minutes - although there was a quick cluster of 5 or so.

yesterday's launch is docking with the space station....now->5:30ish?

there is also a launch out of cape Canaveral tonight - 5:01 - weather satellite (right...it's da man)

this is awesome - they switched over to pre-launch for a minute, and right on cue, a couple fished jumped, and a gator swam by.....

Musk must be pissed as hell, his program really looks like crap
anyone still want fly in one of these civilian trips?

China really stepping up the exploration pressures globally, in less than 10 years, they'll have the only operational space station, if they go through with the decommission of the ISS. Anyone know if the US has plans in the next decade or two to launch one?

Also the Chinese managed to also commercially make rockets cheaper than anyone else. They are claiming to only charge $10K per kilo for satellites in the near future. Which means for the price of a MB S-class, you can have your own satellite? The launch cost is tauted to be half of the current going rate.
http://www.space.com/34840-chinese-expace-commercial-launch-company.html

Musk must be pissed as hell, his program really looks like crap
anyone still want fly in one of these civilian trips?

China really stepping up the exploration pressures globally, in less than 10 years, they'll have the only operational space station, if they go through with the decommission of the ISS. Anyone know if the US has plans in the next decade or two to launch one?

Also the Chinese managed to also commercially make rockets cheaper than anyone else. They are claiming to only charge $10K per kilo for satellites in the near future. Which means for the price of a MB S-class, you can have your own satellite? The launch cost is tauted to be half of the current going rate.
http://www.space.com/34840-chinese-expace-commercial-launch-company.html

Musk doesn't have any working rockets yet, and certainly not any of the size and power required for his Mar's thing. The other important point about his plan is that he WILL NEED a partner to help finance that whole shebang.

I think that space exploration is very important, and it doesn't really need to be hyped, I think that we're all in already. We should thoroughly explore Mars, but why would you want to go and spend the rest of your life there? Why would you want to spend the rest of your days in a cold, rocky, barren, air-less place with very little water and no life? What do you think you're gonna find there? Kuato? You'd basically need to live in a giant bubble, or under-ground like in Total Recall. There will never be an atmosphere (there was never a life-sustaining one there), so whats the attraction? I suppose you could mine gold, iron-ore, or other rare-elements (probably the real reason behind all this Mars hype). Shit, if you want to know what its like, go into the Utah high dessert in the winter with a bottle of Poland Spring, no food, and live only inside your tent for 2-weeks. Sounds like a party, unless the woman with 3-boobs is there.

Musk doesn't have any working rockets yet, and certainly not any of the size and power required for his Mar's thing. The other important point about his plan is that he WILL NEED a partner to help finance that whole shebang.

I think that space exploration is very important, and it doesn't really need to be hyped, I think that we're all in already. We should thoroughly explore Mars, but why would you want to go and spend the rest of your life there? Why would you want to spend the rest of your days in a cold, rocky, barren, air-less place with very little water and no life? What do you think you're gonna find there? Kuato? You'd basically need to live in a giant bubble, or under-ground like in Total Recall. There will never be an atmosphere (there was never a life-sustaining one there), so whats the attraction? I suppose you could mine gold, iron-ore, or other rare-elements (probably the real reason behind all this Mars hype). Shit, if you want to know what its like, go into the Utah high dessert in the winter with a bottle of Poland Spring, no food, and live only inside your tent for 2-weeks. Sounds like a party, unless the woman with 3-boobs is there.

Yeah they should go to europa instead. They can explore the place in a submarine, and most likely to find ex-earth life.

Yeah they should go to europa instead. They can explore the place in a submarine, and most likely to find ex-earth life.

Europa and Ganymede, the only places in the Solar System where you stand a chance of finding life, and making the kind scientific discovery that could actually lead to something substantive. This goes over the heads of the most of audience that Musk is trying sell his bullshit too, the pinheads lining up to go and die on a barren rock.

I would go train hill climbing on mars because extra gravity, then come back to Earth and race Pro class.

look for the iridium project to come back online as global (high latency) internet, instead of sat phones for the elite......

Back
Top Bottom