Science is looking up

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
The other important point about his plan is that he WILL NEED a partner to help finance that whole shebang.
The US taxpayer is likely who he's betting on right now. Regardless of where you stand on it and if you agree with the concept or not, the guy has been insanely effective at leveraging tax dollars to benefit Tesla. Not just within the US, either (see: Norway). Musk is one of those dudes that can get others to drink the Kool-Aid - it's a gift - and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses that to get the US to pitch in on his Mars party, even though SLS is already under development and slated to be used for that same purpose (with Block 2).

look for the iridium project to come back online as global (high latency) internet, instead of sat phones for the elite......
Iridium NEXT! Any thoughts on the user base for that kind of data link? I feel like Africa is a candidate, provided the cellular backbone doesn't expand faster than Iridium can get satellites into orbit (and SpaceX continues blowing up Zuckerberg's satellites on the launchpad. I like it when Zuckerberg's plans go awry, makes me feel better about myself). On a similar note, this is also fun: https://outernet.is/ They work off of L-band, Iridium is Ka. Outernet has some great documentation on their website for a homebrew receiver. Building one is on my someday/maybe list - no personal bandwidth for that right now, unfortunately. Totally would do it just for S&G though.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The US taxpayer is likely who he's betting on right now. Regardless of where you stand on it and if you agree with the concept or not, the guy has been insanely effective at leveraging tax dollars to benefit Tesla. Not just within the US, either (see: Norway). Musk is one of those dudes that can get others to drink the Kool-Aid - it's a gift - and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses that to get the US to pitch in on his Mars party, even though SLS is already under development and slated to be used for that same purpose (with Block 2).

Iridium NEXT! Any thoughts on the user base for that kind of data link? I feel like Africa is a candidate, provided the cellular backbone doesn't expand faster than Iridium can get satellites into orbit (and SpaceX continues blowing up Zuckerberg's satellites on the launchpad. I like it when Zuckerberg's plans go awry, makes me feel better about myself). On a similar note, this is also fun: https://outernet.is/ They work off of L-band, Iridium is Ka. Outernet has some great documentation on their website for a homebrew receiver. Building one is on my someday/maybe list - no personal bandwidth for that right now, unfortunately. Totally would do it just for S&G though.

ship to shore would be easy
but it is disrupting from the thought of ubiquitous access

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Launch tonight (wed 12/7)
Scheduled for 6:53
Cape canaveral, so no live viewing.

Patrick

Staff member
Those computers look like they're from 1980.

i was working in the murray hill bell labs computer center - sampling data from a tape - you know the giant tape drives.
8589813020255dae5cbf27ac597cdf3c.jpg

in comes a group, they are shooting a commercial about the technology.

there is a cray 1 (this is actually it) the washing machines over on the left are ~250MB removable hard drives (let that sink in a minute) - you remove the "platters" in a special case.
DSC08103.JPG

there is a AMDAHL dual processor call Sybil.
This was an IBM clone that ran unix, cause the creator of unix said he could do it. No picture. it took him a weekend to get it to work. holy hell it was fast - probably the computing power of a fitbit.

the 'director' figures out i'm the person that can make the tapes go around.
he asks if i can make it start/stop/go fast etc. well, sure.

most of the commercial about the high tech at bell labs is a tape drive with some talk over it. with some references to the cray - it has a nice background. The amdahl - not so much.

Patrick

Staff member
somewhere around 8:30 today, orbital atk is going to air launch a Pegasus rocket from an L1011 into orbit.
it is carrying a small satellite for storm tracking.

SCRUBBED -
going through shut down procedures - there is another window today, so tbd.

attempting a 9:05 launch, but there is a problem with some of the hydraulics

Last edited:

qclabrat

i was working in the murray hill bell labs computer center - sampling data from a tape - you know the giant tape drives.
8589813020255dae5cbf27ac597cdf3c.jpg

in comes a group, they are shooting a commercial about the technology.

there is a cray 1 (this is actually it) the washing machines over on the left are ~250MB removable hard drives (let that sink in a minute) - you remove the "platters" in a special case.
DSC08103.JPG

there is a AMDAHL dual processor call Sybil.
This was an IBM clone that ran unix, cause the creator of unix said he could do it. No picture. it took him a weekend to get it to work. holy hell it was fast - probably the computing power of a fitbit.

the 'director' figures out i'm the person that can make the tapes go around.
he asks if i can make it start/stop/go fast etc. well, sure.

most of the commercial about the high tech at bell labs is a tape drive with some talk over it. with some references to the cray - it has a nice background. The amdahl - not so much.

I was a science intern during middle school for two summers at Murray Hill, was a mind blowing experience while technology was still somewhat relevant at Bell Labs. First summer I worked on a laser litho study and the second a somewhat uneventful programming and statistics intro. I didn't hear about the zero echo room (anechoic chamber) till recently, which I wish I had visited while there.
murray.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
SpaceX is going to launch out of California today at 12:54 EST.

you'll get to watch the launch, and then video of them attempting to land the first stage on a barge (drone ship)

Patrick

Staff member
SpaceX launching out of florida this morning at 10:00

I should be able to see it from Tampa. Will post a pic if it comes out ok.

They are trying to land the first stage back in Cape Canaveral on land.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Stick the landing!

gymnastics-1976-summer-olympics-romania-nadia-comaneci-victorious-picture-id455328040

Top Bottom