Raritan 911: Robocop

I got to call in readington's finest the other day. Trail extraction of someone who fell, and blew up a knee.
pickell park extension of the cush blue trail.

Poor woman was so distraught, her main concern was that she would not have to ride in an ambulance.
I assured her that 4wd golf cart type thing was going to be her limo back to the parking lot, knowing that an ambulance would be waiting.
She had a phone, but wouldn't call 911. She didn't know how long she had been waiting for someone to come along.
I don't think she was in shock, maybe. no shivers, lucid. just poor decision making imho.

She refused the ambulance, and her daughter picked her up, and took her to an ortho. Which just meant she'd have to schedule the mri, instead of just getting
sent down for one.

The officers that responded were very nice. And of course, suspicious. Hey, guy comes across an injured woman in the woods. But all good.

pulled some fallen stuff off the trail a bit later. not that anyone in their right mind would ride it.

immediately-regret-this-decision.gif

@Carson I was catching up on this (hilarious) thread on a slow morning and came across the AirBnB gone wrong story. You mentioned cops hate leaving "mysteries" like that unsolved. If you left it unsolved and the homeowners figured it out after the fact, would you appreciate a follow up? How would you do it?

I had a somewhat similar story from a few months back that was unsolved when the police called it quits for the night. I live in an 8-unit condo building in Hoboken and we had a vacant unit in the building that was in the process of foreclosure. The owner was collecting rent from the tenants, not paying his mortgage, taxes, condo fees, etc.

Eventually the guy his act together and got a real estate agent to list the apartment but the agent doesn't have keys to the building, only the apartment. I run into the broker outside the building one night and introduce myself as the HOA "president", swap stories, and a week or two later I end up giving him a key to the building so he can show the apartment but instruct him not to use a lock box. Two days later I get home from work and bam, there's the lock box.

The next night around 9:00 PM, my wife and I are hanging around watching TV and our door knob starts turning and the door is moving a bit. Very strange. I look out the peep-hole and there's two Hoboken PD standing there so I open up and they ask what we're doing and I ask why they would like to know. They peer in and see yuppies in progress and say stay inside and lock your door. I identified myself in my official capacity as the HOA prez and ask whats up. After a bunch of hemming and hawwing on their part the officers state that they received reports from a neighbor that there was someone snooping around the building with a flashlight who called in a potential burglary in progress. I start to get a little concerned but help them get into the basement, show them where roof access is then head out front and see a full 18 officers standing around talking about having the guy on the run.

After they leave, I start to put everything together: a prospective buyer was in the vacant apartment looking around but the power is off and its 9PM so they were using their phone/flashlight to look around. Next day I called the realtor and read him the riot act.

I thought the officers would have appreciated the explanation after the fact but I had no idea how to let them know. What is the best way to provide follow-up info?

Keep the funnies coming, hoping for a good one from Superbowl Sunday.

@hotsauce, unfortunately that happens from time to time. In Hoboken, honestly, they've probably forgotten about it by now. And, I'm sure they assume there was a reasonable explanation; I'm mean, if there wasn't forcible entry there's either a simple explanation that had yet to be discovered or the burglar had a key (not impossible but far less likely). But if you have one of the officer's name you could leave him a voicemail message or leave a message with their dispatcher. Beyond that, it's probably too little too late.

We've had some foreclosures in town in single family homes where the neighbors call in a burglary in progress. We come screaming up to the house and find it's just the contractor hired by the bank to winterize the house/change the locks/what-have-you. At one house, I came face to face with a guy carrying copper pipes out of a house. He got a gun in his face but it turned out he was just cleaning up from the owner stripping out the kitchen prior to leaving. I suspect he'll call and notify the PD at his next job site after stopping at Kohl's for some fresh undies.

Back
Top Bottom