Raritan 911: Robocop

In stark contrast to Jimmy's softer "policing in blazers", tonight I arrested a rather overweight guy on a traffic stop for some minor warrants out of a small agency in Burlington County. They wanted to take him into custody but couldn't spare the manpower for the hour-plus drive. We had a full shift so I agreed to meet them in Trenton for the hand-off and save them some time.

I quickly realized that one set of handcuffs wasn't going to cut it for my guy unless I separated his shoulder first. I called over another officer to link two sets of handcuffs together since it would be a bit of a ride for him. Another senior officer showed up. He's retiring next year and I never noticed his handcuffs before. Such a salty old veteran! I'm taking these out of his locker when he retires!

20170322_013332.jpg

Last edited:
When did hand cuffs loose the chain link? What would your cuffs say?
In stark contrast to Jimmy's softer "policing in blazers", tonight I arrested a rather overweight guy on a traffic stop for some minor warrants out of a small agency in Burlington County. They wanted to take him into custody but couldn't spare the manpower for the hour-plus drive. We had a full shift so I agreed to meet them in Trenton for the hand-off and save them some time.

I quickly realized that one set of handcuffs wasn't going to cut it for my guy unless I separated his shoulder first. I called over another officer to link two sets of handcuffs together since it would be a bit of a ride for him. Another senior officer showed up. He's retiring next year and I never noticed his handcuffs before. Such a salty old veteran! I'm taking these out of his locker when he retires!

View attachment 49717

Dave. Did you ever check on officer Mariani at Mt lakes??? I think you are too young for that. By alot.

It's your proper title 'Officer'?

When did hand cuffs loose the chain link? What would your cuffs say?

Two types: chain and hinge. We mostly use hinge. With hinge cuffs, you get more control over the handcuffs and the arrestee with them as there is less "give". A yank on hinge cuffs will usually bring an arrestee into compliance pretty quickly as it can be painful. The chain cuffs are easier to use on elderly/fatbody folks. RTPD and I prefer hinged. :)

My cuffs should say SPINELESS or ROBOCOP.

Dave. Did you ever check on officer Mariani at Mt lakes??? I think you are too young for that. By alot.

It's your proper title 'Officer'?

Hmm no. I was there in 1998 for a few cups of coffee before I left for greener pastures ($$$).

My business cards say Patrolman but we use both titles. I think in actuality everyone sworn is an Officer and my rank is Patrolman. I respond to "hey", "yo", and "brah". "Boss" pisses me off, however.

Two types: chain and hinge. We mostly use hinge. With hinge cuffs, you get more control over the handcuffs and the arrestee with them as there is less "give". A yank on hinge cuffs will usually bring an arrestee into compliance pretty quickly as it can be painful. The chain cuffs are easier to use on elderly/fatbody folks. RTPD and I prefer hinged. :)

My cuffs should say SPINELESS or ROBOCOP.
Thanks for the info.... BOSS

Weekend Highlights. All this occurred between Friday at 1am and Sunday at 3am.

1. DWI #1: Assited Flemington PD. Guy drove 202 South in the northbound lanes into the traffic circle. He traveled around it clockwise, got disoriented, took down a few signs, clipped a utility pole, and finally went head on into a jersey barrier. He lived less than two miles from the circle. He walked away unscathed.

2. DWI #2: Assisted Readington PD. Guy traveled 523 North and drove off the roadway and rolled down an embankment into a creek bed, which was pretty deep with all the recent rains. He nearly drowned but managed to extricate himself from the car prior to police arrival. He lived in Middlesex County and was trying to drive to Atlantic City for the night and somehow ended up in Hunterdon County (!!!). No alcohol, just lots of drugs. Resting pulse of 150, pupils constricted to 1.5mm in diameter in a dark room. He was uninjured.

3. DWI #3. 20 year old kid left a party and managed to roll his pickup truck in the backyard of a neighbor's house. He ran from the scene but obviously people woke up because it sounded like a plane crash. I ended up stopping a friend of his who was creeping around the area looking to pick him up. After reading him the riot act, my kid called drunk kid who walked back to the scene. He was not seat belted but he was uninjured.

4. While processing DWI #3, my Sergeant hears someone moaning in the lobby of the police station. He walks out to find a drunk kid passed out on the floor. He was totally disoriented and couldn't tell us where he came from or why he was at the police station. He then proceeded to vomit into the clothing donation box in our lobby. He was issued a summons and transported against his will to the hospital for evaluation and detox.

5. One of the new officers arrested an 18 year old girl for possession of 10 tabs of LSD. Our agency hasn't had an LSD arrest for a few years.

6. While having coffee with a Flemington officer inside the Wawa, the gas pump attendant advised us that he was concerned about the welfare of two guys in a car in the parking lot. We walk outside to find two guys slumped over in the car. They were nearly unconscious. After a search, 7 needles, meth, and heroin were found in the car. Now, the best part...I looked over at these two guys as I walked into Wawa. They were sitting in the car eating sandwiches and nodded at me as I walked by. So they used heroin AFTER knowing I was less than 50 feet away having a cup of coffee with a second officer. Hell, there were two marked police cars parked next to their car! After they were arrested, the driver complained that we had harassed and profiled him.

7. Lastly, we were dispatched to a residence to assist a woman who had a vibrator stuck in her rectum. We all RACE to the call to help her. Turns out she works at a local business and we all know her. She was a good sport and only called because her boyfriend and she had been drinking and they didn't feel that they could drive to the hospital safely. While we talked with her, she was hopping around and couldn't stand still. Turns out the vibrator was still on and it was apparently very uncomfortable. I asked her how long that batteries usually last. She said they are brand new and will last many hours. Ugh, ok. Later, at the station, my Sergeant told the younger officers, "That's why you buy the vibrators that have balls; so you can't lose them that way." Not everything you learn about this job can be taught at the police academy.

A memorable weekend to be sure.

Last edited:
Thank you, needed that! For the last story I picture a GTA type scene were 50 cop cars converge into a single spot at the same time all crashing into each other.

Back
Top Bottom