Protein Powders

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
In an attempt to increase my protein intake, for different reasons, so I have started trying some protein powders. I have tried a lot of types not listed here and they all made me gag. The ones I listed here do not.
I wanted to share my experience with a few of them.
Things that matter to me:
Taste
protein source
how easily does it mix up
does it settle and get sludgy or turn to concrete on the bottom of your shaker cup
does it "satisfy" so that I dont overeat later
do I feel stronger after using it a few days

The first I ever tried was:
Natural force whey
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGT4M6U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I like the ingredients list.
Its only OK tasting, didnt make me want to gag
What I didnt like was the stevia after taste.
Its really hard to mix up unless you use a blender
Once blended well its got a smooth consistency, drank them pretty fast so didnt notice any settling
I tried the vanilla and the chocolate.
I decided to stop using it as after drinking it I was still starving. It just didnt satisfy me. Didnt notice any performance or weight loss differences either
On another note, my son loves it and is still using it, but he mixes it in the blender with ice cream!

The next I tried:
Sun warrior plus classic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WUURPWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Mixes easily
But settles quite a bit if it sits even a short time, mixes up again if you shake pretty vigorously.
taste is good but consistence is sandy. Like drinking milk with sand in it. If you can get past the sand, I like it. A little aftertaste but its mild and I got used to it.
It satisfies. I seem to be able to control afternoon snacking better if I drink one early in the day.
I feel like I have more energy too. Havent noticed any significant weight loss yet

Then I learned about these:
Dr Mercola Vegan Powder
http://shop.mercola.com/catalog/vegan-protein,459,0,0.htm

I like that I could order a sample pack of each flavor first. Before dumping $35-40 and hating it.
I ordered a sample of each.
Ingredients list is longer than I like with some names I am not sure of what they are but...
Mixes easily, settles a little but mixes up again easily.
Consistency is smooth, nice to drink
Since I only tried it 3 times (one each flavor) I cant say whether or not it "satisfies" and keeps me from snacking, or if I feel I have more energy/strength or if it helped me lose weight/fat
All I can really comment on at this time is taste.
The vanilla is SWEET like drinking sugar water. UGH way too sweet. blah
The chocolate was good. Mild chocolate flavor and mildly sweet. Considering trying to freeze it see if it makes "ice cream" I would be ok drinking this as a bedtime dessert.
Cinnamon absolutely the BEST tasting protein drink I have ever had, ever. I actually LIKE drinking this one. However, the one bad side: the source of the cinnamon flavor.
They use cassia cinnamon, not ceylon cinnamon.
I contacted them about this and told them for all the research they do I was surprised at their cinnamon source. Cassia cinnamon can have potentially bad effects when consumed regularly. Ceylon cinnamon does not. Now I dont know how they process the cassia to get the "flavor" or if they use whole cassia, so there may not be any of the harmful compounds in it, or not enough to do harm. They did respond and said they would send my concerns along to the "Dr"
Yeah, sure.

Anyway, I was bummed about the cassia cinnamon as I REALLY like that powder. So trying to decide if I want to use it or not.

please share about some you have tried
thanks

In an attempt to increase my protein intake, for different reasons, so I have started trying some protein powders. I have tried a lot of types not listed here and they all made me gag. The ones I listed here do not.
I wanted to share my experience with a few of them.
Things that matter to me:
Taste
protein source
how easily does it mix up
does it settle and get sludgy or turn to concrete on the bottom of your shaker cup
does it "satisfy" so that I dont overeat later
do I feel stronger after using it a few days

The first I ever tried was:
Natural force whey
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGT4M6U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I like the ingredients list.
Its only OK tasting, didnt make me want to gag
What I didnt like was the stevia after taste.
Its really hard to mix up unless you use a blender
Once blended well its got a smooth consistency, drank them pretty fast so didnt notice any settling
I tried the vanilla and the chocolate.
I decided to stop using it as after drinking it I was still starving. It just didnt satisfy me. Didnt notice any performance or weight loss differences either
On another note, my son loves it and is still using it, but he mixes it in the blender with ice cream!

The next I tried:
Sun warrior plus classic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WUURPWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Mixes easily
But settles quite a bit if it sits even a short time, mixes up again if you shake pretty vigorously.
taste is good but consistence is sandy. Like drinking milk with sand in it. If you can get past the sand, I like it. A little aftertaste but its mild and I got used to it.
It satisfies. I seem to be able to control afternoon snacking better if I drink one early in the day.
I feel like I have more energy too. Havent noticed any significant weight loss yet

Then I learned about these:
Dr Mercola Vegan Powder
http://shop.mercola.com/catalog/vegan-protein,459,0,0.htm

I like that I could order a sample pack of each flavor first. Before dumping $35-40 and hating it.
I ordered a sample of each.
Ingredients list is longer than I like with some names I am not sure of what they are but...
Mixes easily, settles a little but mixes up again easily.
Consistency is smooth, nice to drink
Since I only tried it 3 times (one each flavor) I cant say whether or not it "satisfies" and keeps me from snacking, or if I feel I have more energy/strength or if it helped me lose weight/fat
All I can really comment on at this time is taste.
The vanilla is SWEET like drinking sugar water. UGH way too sweet. blah
The chocolate was good. Mild chocolate flavor and mildly sweet. Considering trying to freeze it see if it makes "ice cream" I would be ok drinking this as a bedtime dessert.
Cinnamon absolutely the BEST tasting protein drink I have ever had, ever. I actually LIKE drinking this one. However, the one bad side: the source of the cinnamon flavor.
They use cassia cinnamon, not ceylon cinnamon.
I contacted them about this and told them for all the research they do I was surprised at their cinnamon source. Cassia cinnamon can have potentially bad effects when consumed regularly. Ceylon cinnamon does not. Now I dont know how they process the cassia to get the "flavor" or if they use whole cassia, so there may not be any of the harmful compounds in it, or not enough to do harm. They did respond and said they would send my concerns along to the "Dr"
Yeah, sure.

Anyway, I was bummed about the cassia cinnamon as I REALLY like that powder. So trying to decide if I want to use it or not.

please share about some you have tried
thanks
I have used Nature's Best isopure whey isolate protein for the last 4 years. I could tolerate chocolate only. Phenomenal performance as a pre workout with a piece of fruit and to replenish muscles during and after hard training. Rarely had sore muscles the day after using this atuff. I still us a pinch in my bottle on training days. I am now using their meal replacement with whey protein and it works great. Where the isopure is tolerable this one in Chocolate is very yummy and mixes easily. I like it to replace lunch and am experimenting with it on a 4hr race today as my "food".

Vega sport performance protein vanilla- good results on all aspects- veggie based too.. It beats that pea protein I was using

ive always used gold standard in the vanilla ice cream flavor. its fine on its own, but i always mix it with frozen berries and stuff anyway, the vanilla does a good job of mixing with any combination i come up with so im not confined to "things that go with chocolate"

ive always used gold standard in the vanilla ice cream flavor. its fine on its own, but i always mix it with frozen berries and stuff anyway, the vanilla does a good job of mixing with any combination i come up with so im not confined to "things that go with chocolate"
ha, I actually opened this thread to say "anything besides vanilla ice cream"
I had some just 1/2 hour ago. It's so bad! The strawberry banana was better than expected. The chocolate mint was good. But the vanilla ice cream makes me cringe and gag, and I'll eat anything.
I think all by itself the strawberry banana was the best so far.

Ive been using Pro Sources house brand for a while with no complaints, chocolate flavor. Mixes well in shaker, doesn't bother my stomach and when I mix it with some fruit it holds me over for quite some time. I recently received my shipment of JYM supplements from bb.com and will start using that in the morning. Looking forward to it as its owned and designed by a PHd from Yale or some shit like that.

One of the few that never bothered my stomach, wasn't super sweet, and didn't have a bad aftertaste was ON Gold Standard Natural in chocolate. I used to take it a lot more when I was going to the gym, now I seldom drink them as meal replacements, shaken with water.

I got roped into the Isagenix diet/cleanse/look at me I'm so great products last year. I still use the protein shakes as meal supplements or post ride recovery drinks.
IsaLean Pro Natural Chocolate
36g undenatured protein
6g dietary fiber
Low glycemic index
Soy & Gluten free
Active enzymes.

Taste is ok. Much better with very cold water.

ha, I actually opened this thread to say "anything besides vanilla ice cream"
I had some just 1/2 hour ago. It's so bad! The strawberry banana was better than expected. The chocolate mint was good. But the vanilla ice cream makes me cringe and gag, and I'll eat anything.
I think all by itself the strawberry banana was the best so far.

yeah taste by itself is "alright", but there isnt much food that i dont like so i guess im biased. i get that flavor simply because i always blend it with all kind of other crap. when i first got into O.N. in HS i was all about the chocolate malt flavor, but im not sure they even make that one anymore

i tried the unflavored hemp protein powder from TJs and it just has this grainy "not-completely-dissolved" texture to it, do not like.

idunno how anyone can drink a protein shake with just powder and water, woof!

yeah taste by itself is "alright", but there isnt much food that i dont like so i guess im biased. i get that flavor simply because i always blend it with all kind of other crap. when i first got into O.N. in HS i was all about the chocolate malt flavor, but im not sure they even make that one anymore

i tried the unflavored hemp protein powder from TJs and it just has this grainy "not-completely-dissolved" texture to it, do not like.

I tried the hemp hearts from Costco once. It's like rice almost. It was actually good. Or not bad. Would be a nice mix in a salad.

Arwin's Mom - save your money.

Are you tearing apart your muscles when you workout? If not, it's a waste.

You'll get more than enough protein from a well balance diet

I just mix it with little water and chug it. Just get it over with as quickly as possible and chase it with water. Thats when I used to drink it after rides. Nowadays I don't care much.

Just coming to chime in, never found a powder that I would describe as 'tasty' [as food] when mixed with just water. I would say tolerable, like taking medicine. With milk (whatever percentage you need to hit your calorie goals), and a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed with chocolate/vanilla (or strawberry banana, whatever, your stomach) in the blender makes for something between 'tasty' and 'tolerable'. Haven't used it in some time, but General Nutrition's house brand vanilla isn't bad (no idea of the vegetarian status, though). Was never happy with mixing by hand, the bottles with the little whisk ball in them are invaluable (but don't do much with added ingredients!).

Worked well as a meal replacement for me, or as a supplement when I was actually lifting--but I wouldn't want to live on the stuff.

I eventually moved on to the Clif 'builder bars', as I found drinking calories to be intolerable. You have to watch your percentage intakes really carefully, though. Choco/peanut butter is, almost always, the only way to guarantee something that tastes vaguely foody. In fact, if you're not sure of a brand, get the chocolate/peanut butter, as they are almost always way more tolerable than the other "flavors".

Unrelated but my boss and his son drink protein powder and peanut butter every day and said it's available to anyone. It smelled so good today I had to make one myself.

I'm easily going to be 20lbs heavier this year. Holy fuck it's like a peanut butter chocolate milk shake without the dairy.

Highly recommend. I doubt any cheap brand chocolate could make this not taste awesome.

I am proof you don't need the protein powders. Vegetarian for over 20 years. Unless you are destroying yourself on the daily, a good diet will do you just fine.

I'm destroying myself with bacon, so I need the powders. I like EAS Lean 15...it has words I can't pronounce, so you know its good

yeahsciencebitch.PNG

Back
Top Bottom