OOS MOGA

Vic's ride is not to be understated, passing was impossible out there with the lack of racing knowledge by some riders. The only passes I could muster was to beat them up the climbs. I got stuck behind a guy for a mile that was Fred city, no teeth flat pedals, tennis sneakers and a tee shirt, every root the brakes came on and momentum stalled. It made every little rise a downshift and grind affair instead of carrying your speed, got frustrating until finally a hill showed and I could make the pass. I passed 8 guys by the 4 mile mark and caught up to Steve B. and we had a race from there to the very end. I would pass him, he would pass me back as we hit traffic. Did this a half dozen times until the last 1/2 mile and I let him get in front knowing well he was gonna try to leave me there but I had a plan this time. As soon as we hit the fireroad to the finish I upshifted and hit the afterburners and got him by a wheel. Our little race is to me what it is all about, wasn't for podium but was a great race from my point of view. If you get a chance to ride these trails do so, they are really neat! Thanks again to the MTBNJ crew and a ridiculously good ride by Vic!:thumbsup::banana:

Vic's ride is not to be understated, passing was impossible out there with the lack of racing knowledge by some riders. The only passes I could muster was to beat them up the climbs. I got stuck behind a guy for a mile that was Fred city, no teeth flat pedals, tennis sneakers and a tee shirt, every root the brakes came on and momentum stalled. It made every little rise a downshift and grind affair instead of carrying your speed, got frustrating until finally a hill showed and I could make the pass. I passed 8 guys by the 4 mile mark and caught up to Steve B. and we had a race from there to the very end. I would pass him, he would pass me back as we hit traffic. Did this a half dozen times until the last 1/2 mile and I let him get in front knowing well he was gonna try to leave me there but I had a plan this time. As soon as we hit the fireroad to the finish I upshifted and hit the afterburners and got him by a wheel. Our little race is to me what it is all about, wasn't for podium but was a great race from my point of view. If you get a chance to ride these trails do so, they are really neat! Thanks again to the MTBNJ crew and a ridiculously good ride by Vic!:thumbsup::banana:
Thanks Frank. By the way, that was me in the tennis sneakers and tee shirt blocking your way?

How did you like the Santa Cruz for the race?

Yeah sort of. It took a few steps off the trail when i rolled up but then stopped and stared for a bit. I tried to wait him out, but he didnt move, and gave a few snorts. I got off the bike and held it up, which didnt phase it's big ass a bit, so i slowly turned around and went back the way I came. I've come across many a bear ridding alone, but this was only the second time I felt the need to change course.
Wow! I would've soiled my ass cushioned shorts

But he doesn’t race.:rolleyes:
Truth with bike races, but I've done over 100 running races to know how to run my race and the position myself. Positioning even more so for bike races as Vic and Frank have noted. Here's the dilemma for a lot of new racers, you want to start in the back so you are not that guy who holds the fast guys back. Never sit in the back, take the second row and you will know in a quarter mile if the pace is too fast for the day. Let the faster guys pass early then ride your race. Waiting too long could blow you too fast. Sitting in the back can be frustrating and usually leads to having too much left in the tank. One of my coaches said if you don't free like dying after a race, you didn't put down enough effort. I got nothing else to contribute for racing otherwise

@Mtbdog will need to provide his riding impression. He raced a Chameleon and looked like he was having fun.
It was a very forgiving ride. The extra weight and sacker geometry made for a stable ride that didn,'t bounce around under me as much as the Ritchey. Loved the 34 Fox forks and the gearing is much more where I want it. (Eagle 46) If I had more time I would have put skinnier tires on as the 2.4/2.5 combo held a lot of mud, I had to do bunny hops to clear the knobbies on several occasions. Would definitely do another race on the bike, and at HM and the Tourne the bikes rips! Back story: Did a little electric at his house and he offered his bikes up as a bonus! His other bike is a full squish Ibis, and man does that thing shred! Really lightweight and nimble. Can't wait for the rain to stop! Wanna ride!

It was a very forgiving ride. The extra weight and sacker geometry made for a stable ride that didn,'t bounce around under me as much as the Ritchey. Loved the 34 Fox forks and the gearing is much more where I want it. (Eagle 46) If I had more time I would have put skinnier tires on as the 2.4/2.5 combo held a lot of mud, I had to do bunny hops to clear the knobbies on several occasions. Would definitely do another race on the bike, and at HM and the Tourne the bikes rips! Back story: Did a little electric at his house and he offered his bikes up as a bonus! His other bike is a full squish Ibis, and man does that thing shred! Really lightweight and nimble. Can't wait for the rain to stop! Wanna ride!
So the bike is yours now? Wow... congrats!
What wheels are on it? Its a 27.5? If it is... wondering if the WTB i23 would be the better option...

Back
Top Bottom