Official: Ask Kevin what I should wear on my ride today

Yeah I was going to elaborate, talking about road rides. That works tho Kev would prolly keel over from the thought
Kevin is very worried about what that person in the passing car thinks he looks like....I mean despite the fact that the passer by is saying:
Look at that fucking clown dressed in tights and riding a kids toy..HAHAHAHAHA what a goddam loser!

Kevin is very worried about what that person in the passing car thinks he looks like....I mean despite the fact that the passer by is saying:
Look at that fucking clown dressed in tights and riding a kids toy..HAHAHAHAHA what a goddam loser!

What do they say when I'm riding with Kevin?

Ok here's a real question, and this has happened to me a few times recently. How do you handle a longer ride (~ 3 hrs) where the temp drops significantly during your ride?
That is what vest, arm and leg/knee warmers are for.I usually don't have that much of temp diff though.

I could give a shit what they think of what I am wearing, or if I blew a stop sign, taking the lane, etc. the averaging motoring public are idiots and of course they think we are clowns.

That is a question for the guy that won the race that almost froze @jimvreeland this year.

However, do not use the same line of thinking that had you wearing fleece lined bib tights on our 50 degree lunch ride yesterday.

I can tell you what I was wearing.

Castelli WS longsleeve base layer, HB LS Jersey, Patagonia NanoPuff, Specialized 686 Jacket. Castelli Nano tights, Specialized 686 winter bibs. Surly wool socks, 45NRTH Wolvhamers. Specialized Radiant Gloves, Specialized Pogies.

For decades the old newspaper-under-the-jersey trick works in a pinch for those mountaintop descents that just happen to have newsstands.

1968-12-Guyot-Izier-Wright.jpg

journ600.jpeg

My god, I had forgotten how bad those those brown Footon-Servetto kits were.

Andrea_05.jpg

During yesterday's commute I was wearing shorts w/knee warmers and a LS base w/a normal jersey over it. No gloves. Normal S-Works shoes.

For decades the old newspaper-under-the-jersey trick works in a pinch for those mountaintop descents that just happen to have newsstands.

1968-12-Guyot-Izier-Wright.jpg

journ600.jpeg

My god, I had forgotten how bad those those brown Footon-Servetto kits were.

Andrea_05.jpg
The newspaper with lead pages helped as well. Those Footon kits seem like something @UtahJoe would pick out.

first!

50's and dry is regular kit with arm warmers and knee warmers on the road, maybe a lightweight base layer. If on the trail, ditch the knee warmers for this temp and probably no base layer.

If you have wool blend jersey, no base layer at 50.
I just realized I don't own a single set of knee warmers, can you recommend two in the moderate price range? Also how often do you wash these knee warmers? after every ride or just when they start to stank

I just realized I don't own a single set of knee warmers, can you recommend two in the moderate price range? Also how often do you wash these knee warmers? after every ride or just when they start to stank
The wool Defeet Kneekers are hands down the best knee warmers I have had. I had multiple pairs of castelli and specilized warmers and they all had issues falling down or bunching up at times. The defeet ones never move, never bunch and wool regulates your body temp better. Excellent price too. Wool absorbs smell more than synthetic clothing, so you dont have to wash them very often. Maybe every 5th ride?

If I am going to do a very long ride that takes up much of the day and doesn't involve looping back to my start point until the very end, how do I dress for temps that start in perhaps the high 40's in the early am and rise to approximately 70-80 degrees by mid-afternoon? Please note that it is imperative that I avoid unsightly bulges in my jersey pockets from shedded layers. Do I suck it up and freeze early on? Do I aim for a middle ground where I am never serving one extreme or the other but also never perfectly comfortable for any length of time? Do I maintain whatever I start out in, recognizing that my eventual funk will far outweigh the discomfort on my list of things I regret at the end of a ride? Or do I just budget for new clothes each time I do such a ride and toss my extra layers on the ground when I am done with them in a show of ugly wastefulness that would make a Russian billionaire nod his approval?

If I am going to do a very long ride that takes up much of the day and doesn't involve looping back to my start point until the very end, how do I dress for temps that start in perhaps the high 40's in the early am and rise to approximately 70-80 degrees by mid-afternoon? Please note that it is imperative that I avoid unsightly bulges in my jersey pockets from shedded layers. Do I suck it up and freeze early on? Do I aim for a middle ground where I am never serving one extreme or the other but also never perfectly comfortable for any length of time? Do I maintain whatever I start out in, recognizing that my eventual funk will far outweigh the discomfort on my list of things I regret at the end of a ride? Or do I just budget for new clothes each time I do such a ride and toss my extra layers on the ground when I am done with them in a show of ugly wastefulness that would make a Russian billionaire nod his approval?
short sleeve jersey, with thin wool base layer, wool arm and knee warmers and a vest. Normal weight bib shorts. Wool socks. Nothing regulates body heat better than wool. If it temps are going to stay below 70, wool blend jersey with a mesh wool base layer.

Back
Top Bottom