Official: Ask Kevin what I should wear on my ride today

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
@stb222 has the most experience in riding outdoors and his word on what kind of clothing you should wear should be taken as the code of what is correct. He has never steered me wrong in these situations. I figure other people could enjoy asking Kevin what you should wear in order to be comforatble in these fall/winter/spring months, or if its raining, etc.

Will help you so you do not look like this when it's 45 degrees out.

I'll start.

Kevin, It's that weird time of the year, 50 degrees. I'm unsure what to roll with on the road. Not going to be drilling it so I'd rather be warm. It seems to be partly cloudy with a little wind from the north.

What are you thinking? Thinking some wool socks and warmers?

first!

50's and dry is regular kit with arm warmers and knee warmers on the road, maybe a lightweight base layer. If on the trail, ditch the knee warmers for this temp and probably no base layer.

If you have wool blend jersey, no base layer at 50.

Last edited:
which SPF would be appropriate?

ps - i'm wearing a sleeveless jersey, is that a major faux paus?

IMG_5961.PNG

first!

50's and dry is regular kit with arm warmers and knee warmers on the road, maybe a lightweight base layer. If on the trail, ditch the knee warmers for this temp and probably no base layer.

If you have wool blend jersey, no base layer at 50.

I concur. I do lightweight leg warmers, not knee warmers. Start with a thin vest and probably toss it in a pocket after 15 minutes.

which SPF would be appropriate?

ps - i'm wearing a sleeveless jersey, is that a major faux paus?

View attachment 46491
Sleeveless jerseys are unacceptable for any grown-ass man, ever. The tri crowd seems especially fond of them so they can either 1. show off their shoulders or 2. provide more space to write their number or 3. attempt to make themselves look as rediclous as possible. I have never once thought "hey my shoulder is burning up, no sleeves will help!". Not to mention, the bicep tan line is a staple of declaring yourself as a cyclist and in any situation where you can expose it as it is a way to separate us from the others. Sleeveless is obviously acceptable for women. If one feels the need to go without sleeves, it may be acceptable if you cut the sleeves off yourself, leaving a ragged edge, are trying to fit in with the local NC crowd, or are actually in a triathlon (not just training for one).

Im in the middle of nowhere, its the middle of the night, there is snow everywhere and it's negative 50 degrees. What do I wear?
That is a question for the guy that won the race that almost froze @jimvreeland this year.

However, do not use the same line of thinking that had you wearing fleece lined bib tights on our 50 degree lunch ride yesterday.

I know that the plastic bag thing was a joke, but an OG of the forum who has gone MIA taught me once that it makes a great "in a jam" wind vest. Or if you do not have a cool vest to wear, this works just as well.

Or even good enough for those cold starts that you want a vest and then one it warms up, you can easily move it out of the way of your chest and feel the cool breeze after the first half hour.

I know that the plastic bag thing was a joke, but an OG of the forum who has gone MIA taught me once that it makes a great "in a jam" wind vest. Or if you do not have a cool vest to wear, this works just as well.

Or even good enough for those cold starts that you want a vest and then one it warms up, you can easily move it out of the way of your chest and feel the cool breeze after the first half hour.

I was told the same thing by an OG of the forum who has gone MIA...

Ok here's a real question, and this has happened to me a few times recently. How do you handle a longer ride (~ 3 hrs) where the temp drops significantly during your ride?

Back
Top Bottom