North Jersey Dirt Epics

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like an awesome weekend for some epic-ing. I'm planning to spend Saturday endlessly lost exploring some powerlines up north, and maybe make my way into Jungle at some point. Hoping to start from Splitrock around 7am if anyone is interested.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's a northern Monmouth version.

Looks awesome, thanks! I've never been to any of those parks, so I'll definitely do this one sometime.

I came up with a pretty awesome route for tomorrow, but I had a zero speed OTB at High Mountain last night. My hand and shin are pretty banged up, so I might be drinking beer and playing video games all weekend now. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Jim, what's route you rode at wildcat on Sunday?

https://www.strava.com/activities/724969257

Nice to see you guys out there! I gave @goodvibe and @treeman a tour, and they had time constraints so we couldn't wait around for you guys to get ready. This is a bit rambly, so it might not make a lot of sense, but...

We started out on orange and went left and over the bridge to Green Pond Rd, up Snake Hill Rd to a nice climb/descent in Lake Ames, shitty double track adjacent to the superfund site over to a nice descent to some powerlines back down to Green Pond Rd. Then we crossed the road and took the powerlines to a "new" trail that is now blazed with pink anvils called the Oreland Trail. That ends with some cool rock work down to the old rail bed that heads back into Wildcat. We then took yellow toward the dam but jumped off onto white via an unmarked connector, and then took the rocky/amazing dark blue trail. There is an unmarked double track climb after the awesome rock gardens to avoid ending up down by the river, which gets you back up to white. We climbed white to the hawk watch, and then continued on white from the hawk watch back down to orange and to the car. Then I went back out and hit everything else because I had no time constraints.

Hit me up anytime if your group wants a tour of anything you guys don't already know. Not sure which of your friends I was talking to before the ride (he looked familiar though), but it didn't sound like he knew about the stuff across the street.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
We saw the guys you started out with about 4 hours after you started back at the parking lot. I figure you wore them out and you were on to your second half of the day. One of the guys I rode with you mentioned is Albert. Not sure how Albert and the other guys in my group ride wildcat/split rock (and every other trail in nj) on single speed hard tails. I need all of the gears and suspension I can get.thanks for the ride report, we will hit you up sometime for a tour.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We saw the guys you started out with about 4 hours after you started back at the parking lot. I figure you wore them out and you were on to your second half of the day.

We got back to the car and they had another 20-30 minutes, so we went out toward Beach Glen Trail and then they just turned around when it was time to go back.

Message me anytime for a tour.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I took tomorrow off work to go watch my wife compete at a horse show, because it's her birthday. Now she isn't doing the show, and it sounds like I'm likely to be free until dinner time.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like I might have put the cart before the horse on this one. Got a great and potentially terrible exploratory route planned though, maybe I can get to it on Saturday.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This wasn't really an epic, but I wanted to dust this thread off, and I don't want this write up to be buried in the BIYF thread. This is a shortened version of a route I've been planning for a while.

https://www.strava.com/activities/848751879

I started at the bat cave at Wildcat, rode up to the reservoir and around Charlottesburg Rd, and then I ran into Jed. He's a friend of a friend that I've ridden with a few times. He lives in Smoke Rise, and he's the one that took me on my first tour in the Newark Watershed. So it was pretty funny to just run into him out there. I talked him into heading west with me, and he showed me a thing or two that I haven't seen before. Then he bailed to head home, and I did the death climb up an old woods road from Timberbrook to the top of Four Birds. It's a pretty long woods road climb with tons of loose rock and sticks all over the place. I actually cleared this climb today with no dabs, which I still cannot believe.

So I head down from the top of four birds, and run into an older couple on the side of the trail. They were sitting and resting, and the dude opened the conversation with "You know you're not supposed to be riding on this trail, right?" It actually got much better from there, and we chatted for a while. Then I crossed Green Pond Rd, and continued on Four Birds. I only rode this section once before, in the other direction. Well, in the reverse direction today, it ended with a pretty brutal climb, and many crazy rock gardens. I need to check my previous route through there to see what I did differently. That ride was my first ride in the Watershed (with Jed and our friend Bob), so we must have taken some of the dirt bike go arounds. I ran into three younger hikers on this section and we said hi. They caught up to me at Notch Rd, and we chatted for a bit. It turns out they are mountain bikers too, so we chatted about that.

A few weeks ago, I did some exploring to figure out how to get back to Wildcat from Notch Rd without having to ride on Green Pond Rd. So I used that knowledge to do just that. I ran into two ladies hiking behind Lake End Rd, and I chatted with them for a bit. They asked about where I was headed, and I told them I was trying to get to Egbert Lake. They were interested in how I planned to do that, so I gave them directions and then headed out. They live right near there and normally do their walk as an out and back from Green Pond Rd. I made arrows out of sticks at the intersections that I told them about, so hopefully it worked out for them.

From Egbert Lake I just took the old railroad back to Snake Hill and then hit the Lake Ames shit on the way back to my car. With more time, I plan to also hit Fugawe, Green Pond Ridge, and Mahlon. I'm hoping for a real epic soon. It's going to be hot as balls and overgrown before you know it.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man, I've been really lame lately. Not really a dirt epic, but I did get out for an 8ish hour ride to get my legs used to the idea:

https://www.strava.com/activities/959593099

From home to the Tourne, Hepner, JWoods, Wildcat, Mt Hope Park, Dickerson Mine, West Morris Greenway, Patriot's Path, and Lewis Morris. This is a pretty long ride, but it is relatively tame. There are some long road sections, a long railbed section, and not a lot of climbing. I'm gonna try and get out for at least a couple more of these before Bearscat.

Top Bottom