Nationals (Natz) role call

Will Hyde maybe be able to Podium a WC event? JPoew gets murdered in the face over there. I wondered if TJ every brings that up?

This was a pretty interesting article. Can't tell if it's just us Making excuses, or not. I think it's legit, but you could argue either way

https://www.google.com/amp/www.velo...ean-cross_427568/amp?client=ms-android-google
Interesting. I have read before the differences between the US and Euro cross, I don't think he is making excuses. It is probably similar to the differences of racing in NJ, to NE, to NC, every place is going to be unique and have a "style" of racing. At least that is how it seems based on some of the experiences people here have had outside our region.

A little late but here is my recap.....@jshort pried it out of me!!!!

This was my first National CX event. It was pretty tough to train through the holiday season. My last race was over a month prior, so I wasn't sure how it was going be on race day. Thankfully, the week prior I got in a great workout at Winter Worlds with several nj racers; really helped to shake out the cobwebs. Winter Worlds was the first dirt I saw in awhile. We had 3 weeks worth of snow on the ground in PA. Little did I realize how much this snow riding would pay off at Nats!

Drove up Thursday night, so I never got a chance to preride. I made sure that I was on the course for the 7AM preride. Saw Sean in the parking lot before the sun even came up......snow, cold, and darkness were not very motivating. As I rode over the bridge to the course, I quickly realized that all the snow riding was going to pay off today. Once on the course, I was blown away by how much was unrideable. On top of the dike to the entrance to the woods was a complete disaster; people were falling all over, junior racers were almost in tears. I got in two 'laps' and went back to the hotel.

I got back in time for the 11AM preride. Conditions improved significantly and the course was altered near Bonk Breaker Hill to take out several unrideable sections. While improved, it was still going to be the hardest course I ever rode.

Got warmed up in the Kinetic tent. It was a great spot, because I could see Sean come through on every lap. Towards the end of the warmup, Chris L came in and we were able to talk about conditions and a game-plan. My son came into the tent with a huge smile on his face. He just met J-Pow.....the good vibes were flowing.

At call up, I knew it was going to get real.........quickly. I got a 4th/5th row call-up and the guys in front were the real deal.

The start was good. I was off and everyone around me was charging hard. Lots of elbows, water spray, and madness. At the curb, there was a big crash that I avoided. At the next curb before the pits, there was another crash. I entered Bonk Breaker with a plan to stay low but traffic made me go high. The up-down after the goat path was really treacherous. I wasn't able to clean this all race. After remounting, I fell at the 90 degree turn due to frozen ground. Going down the hill was hard. The prolonged running fouled my cleats; every time on the downhill, I went down unclipped. Then I gave up a position dealing with my cleats. I need to figure out a solution for this next year! Once in the woods, it was scary. I stayed upright every lap but I was cautious. After the pits was madness for the first 3 laps. Lots of congestion and falls.......I managed to make good progress despite the frozen ruts and mud! Once on the other side of the boathouse, I kept it steady and in control.

During lap 2 1/2 I did a bike swap. It was mechanically solid but I wanted to swap so my A bike could get cleaned off. In the pits, my wife was aided by LVG who is a fellow Pocono rider. Laura yelled to ride as long as I could on my pit bike. I wondered what the deal was but my pit bike was riding well and didn't let it bother me. I later learned that they ran out of water in the pits!

A few laps later, I finished. The tank was empty! I never did a national race before so I went in with the goal to ride smart and hard. I knew everyone would fall, so when I fell it wasn't a big deal. Overall, the toughest course I ever raced! Glad to see so many good faces at the race. Great job to everyone from NJ who raced: Sean, Jeremy, Eric, Chris, Stacy, Dan, Dave!!!!

Nick

CX... it's the gift that keeps on giving...
Final repair tally, after going in with everything in new/near new, perfect working order.

A Bike
Derailleur hanger
F & R brake pads (rotors are good!)
Dented HED Adrennes tubular rim (rear) - "Dude.. I can almost see daylight thru it" FFFFUUUUUUUKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B Bike
BB
Derailleur jockey wheels

It could have been much worse, considering how long I had to blast both of them with the power washer to even begin to get the mud/ice off. Shocked the headsets on both are ok.
Bummed about the rim. VERY new PDX tubular on there. I hear they're not very reusable. Will address that in a few months.

Is it short track time yet??

Carefully get a plastic tire lever under the tire all the way through and pry up do not try to push the tire off the side, it should come off without a problem. Clements and tufos have pretty strong base tape so they come off undamaged, if you air it down and wait a couple months it's usually easier.

Carefully get a plastic tire lever under the tire all the way through and pry up do not try to push the tire off the side, it should come off without a problem. Clements and tufos have pretty strong base tape so they come off undamaged, if you air it down and wait a couple months it's usually easier.

Thanks.. will try....

Back
Top Bottom